Thread: Re-watching Star Trek TNG

Re-watching Star Trek TNG

I have started to rewatch TNG as a reward for the relentless studying I (try/have to) do. Starting out with the first season and the pilot episode "Encounter at Farpoint". I should state, that TNG is by a long shot my favorite Trek series. I have grown up with the german version of the series and holf it very dear. The DVD rerun is presented in original language.

I realised how very different the first episodes are from what I have become used to in later seasons. I don't think too highly of EaF, I don't see it as a very good pilot, but that is not the point of this posting.

Here I want to talk about Data first. How he is characterised and sometimes used as a comic relief (See the chineese finger trap in "The Last Outpost" or his discovery of Sherlock Holmes (the pipe, the speech, the reasoning). Or the nice talks Geordi and Data use to have. Data seems to be like a child, grasping new things every minute of every hour. I like that very much and wonder if it is acutally there in later seasons of TNG or was dropped. This surely is what became the basement of the huge liking the fans took for Data and his character during the course of the show.

From an acting point of view, the gestures and mimics Spiner displays are much more intense than I remember them from later seasons. There are more smirks, funny faces and so on. Spiner is doing great work!

From an acting point of view I am impressed at the 'young' Patrick Stewart and extremely dissapointed of what Gates McFadden displays, especially when she has to act near or with medical instruments.

So far I have re-discovered:

Enounter at Farpoint

The Naked Now (funny to place such a storyline at the very beginning of the first season of a new series...)

Code of Honour[The One With Lutan...(added the right name)]

The Last Outpost

Where No One Has Gone Before What sort of Rank pin does Kosinsky have?

Lonely Among Us (and Picard, after deciding to leave everything behind on a whim, is allowed to keep command of the flagship? Really? Aside from that, nice episode. Has the character of Mr. Singh the dubios honour of being the first casualty of the new Enterprises missions?)

Just rumbling, more to come, sooner or later.
    Last edited by Cut; 01-04-2009 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cut View Post
    Lonely Among Us (and Picard, after deciding to leave everything behind on a whim, is allowed to keep command of the flagship?
    Not guilty by virtue of alien possession.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    Not guilty by virtue of alien possession.
    Are you sure? I got the impression that Picard had gone along with the plan willingly and only due to the fact that a bonding outside the bodyly form inside that 'cloud' didn't work, he tried to come back.

I think there was a thread (possibly started by me) where we discussed all the strange stuff a SF vessel runs into and how it would affect things.

Like "Sorry Commander Riker; I'm late for my shift on the bridge because I was recruited by Temporal Federation members to stop alien incurssion into our timeline. They were supposed to drop me back at the moment they took me, but there was an unstable tachyon field after we closed the aliens transdimentional portal. I tried to get them to speak to you or the captain to explain, but they swore it would disrupt the time line more."

Todays Star Trek TNG trivia bit (from Wikipedia)

In 1987, Spiner started his 15 year run (on television for 7 seasons and in 4 feature films) portraying Lieutenant Commander Data on Star Trek: The Next Generation. As one of the main characters, he appeared in all but one episode of the series' 178 episode run.

Which episode didn't feature Data? That little bit of information wasn't listed in the Brent Spiner Wikipedia article...

Todays Star Trek TNG trivia bit (from Wikipedia)

In 1987, Spiner started his 15 year run (on television for 7 seasons and in 4 feature films) portraying Lieutenant Commander Data on Star Trek: The Next Generation. As one of the main characters, he appeared in all but one episode of the series' 178 episode run.

Which episode didn't feature Data? That little bit of information wasn't listed in the Brent Spiner Wikipedia article...

"Family" S4

Quote Originally Posted by CypherWest View Post
    "Family" S4
    Thanks. Impressive that you know this right away
    That's the follow up`episode to "Best of Both Worlds" isn't it?

Thanks. Impressive that you know this right away
    That's the follow up`episode to "Best of Both Worlds" isn't it?
    Impressive...or sad...Society will be the judge.

"Family" is the followup to Best of Both Worlds, it is also a major side plot in the movie Generations.

Impressive...or sad...Society will be the judge.
    Oh come on. You'll be fine

"Family" is the followup to Best of Both Worlds, it is also a major side plot in the movie Generations.
    I than know the storyline of the episodes. Having taped the german synchronised version to VHS when TNG was aired here in germany I sometimes have problems with the original titles in comparison to their german versions. That's why I have asked