Thread: Differences between Original and Special Edition DVD Trek Movie releases

Differences between Original and Special Edition DVD Trek Movie releases

I was wondering, what are the differences between the original DVD and the Special Edition DVD release?

Is it just more features and stuff or are there actually more deleted scenes, commentaries and the like even new cut's or footage included?

I was offered a bunch of Special Edition DVDs but have the original releases. Do I need those? Are there movies that the special edition made better?

My favorite Star Trek movie is probably ST:IV so I'd like to see more about that movie in any direction. Then again I dislike 'Nemesis' quite much and would hope that I get some explanations and more deleted scence that would soften the blunder.

So what is your oppinion on the worthwhileness of the SE when you already have the Original Discs?

It all really depends upon how often you tend to revisit the additional content and of course cost.

Personally, if you have the current edition of the discs then I would suggest holding off until you trade up to Blu-Ray and then when prices go down and budget increases you can trade up to the Special Editions in the improved format.

Unless you have money to throw about.

If you have not yet purchased then these days the price in DVD doesn't seem too different and in these cases I tend to buy the Special Editions.

But dont listen to me, I still have not traded up all the Trek movies from VHS with 4 out of the 10 in DVD and the VHS box set of the first 9...
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Thanks, Dan.

I don't see myself making the step over to blue-ray anytime soon. And I do entertain a huge collection of Star Trek on VHS ;-)

The price for the SE is extremely good, so I might go for my favorite titles ('cause I'm a collector maybe) and let the others just go.

Thanks again!