Thread: Sovereign class able to seperate?

Sovereign class able to seperate?

Īn the Novel "Resistance" Worf orders the Enterprise to seperate into a Stardrive and a Saucer Section. Mind you, the Sovereign-class Enterprise! And it is not an emergency one shot maneuver, but supposebly something the Sovereign-class has in common with the Galaxy-class predecessors.

There seems to be a semi-official production drawing of an Sovereign class seperating .

Or more written material here.

So what do you guys think. In your little corner of the Galaxy can a Sovereign class starship seperate?

Hey there

I'm not sure, but if I'm not mistaken, there's a reference in the Star Trek Encyclopedia by Michael and Denise Okuda somewhere stating that it can't separate. I could be wrong. I haven't looked up stuff on a Sovereign class in a while.

The artwork and the written material you presented is compelling, especially if this guy actually worked for the production department. If this is so, it puts a completely new spin on things, especially if I'm right about the passage in the Encyclopedia (which I'm not nearly 100% on, I only vaguely remember reading it).

Traditionally, my roleplay group has always gone with the assertion and assumption that the ship can't separate due to its design. We may be revising that assessment now!

I know all this really hasn't answered your question, so I'll do so now. Traditionally, our group goes with the fact it doesn't separate. Until everybody looks at what you sent and examines the canon ramifications, that's what we'll keep doing. Seriously, though, I think we're most likely going to change if that document is indeed from someone that actually designed for the show/movies.

I think I recall some sort of reference in the Encyclopedia hinting that seperation wasn't possible with Sovereigns as well.

I am sure that neither the Decipher Starships Sourcebooks nor the LUG Price of Freedom stats include a Sep System.

I couldn't picture a seperated Sovereign class until I saw the production sketches.

It might actually be true. There has been a semi-official rumour about the Galaxy-Saucer section being able to make planet-fall and then an article in the TNG Tech Readout, which was not established canon-wise until Troi dropped the Enterprise D Saucer on a planet in Generations

Quote Originally Posted by Cut View Post
    There seems to be a semi-official production drawing of an Sovereign class seperating .

So what do you guys think. In your little corner of the Galaxy can a Sovereign class starship seperate?
    Need more drawing, preferably the rear view of both the saucer and the stardrive sections where they separate.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

I'd say no, just because in a fight between concept illustration and master systems display the one we saw on screen wins.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    I'd say no, just because in a fight between concept illustration and master systems display the one we saw on screen wins.
    Canon-wise a very strong point you make here, TDK...

Secondarily, the Sovereign didn't seem to have the strong civilian presence that Galaxy-class ships apparently had. While it might have an emergency separation procedure, there doesn't seem to be the need for it to separate for dangerous encounters and then reattach afterward, like the Galaxy class did. Not that the 1701D did it all that much, either.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Setting aside canon for a bit... I can see the notion of having separation and attachment mode for the Sovereign class, which have been explored in the Prometheus design. After all, it was designed under the initiative to combat against the Borgs.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

I say no for what is worth, on screen there is no place where the seperation could conceivably take place. In my "universe" the ship does not seperate at all.

Anyway: There are some things visible on master situation displays and the like, that surely aren't canon as well: The rubber Duck on the Galaxy class display for example...

Anyway: There are some things visible on master situation displays and the like, that surely aren't canon as well: The rubber Duck on the Galaxy class display for example...
    Auxiliary Heavy Bath Accessories.