Thread: CAPTAIN Ezri Dax?! [Possible spoilers for DESTINY in replies]

CAPTAIN Ezri Dax?! [Possible spoilers for DESTINY in replies]

Okay, so I don't tend to read Star Trek novels. Got burned a lot in the past, so I just don't mess with them that much. So I'm in Barnes & Noble last night, getting a gift card for my nephew's birthday, and I find myself wandering the SF section. I pick up one of the Destiny novels, and see that it involves one Captain Ezri Dax.

WTF?

At the end of DS9, she was either an ensign or lieutenant j.g. I'm supposed to buy that she's in command of a starship only five years later? That takes some suspension of disbelief that's rough even for the likes of me.

Can someone who's read these tell me how they managed to pull this off?
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13 View Post
    Can someone who's read these tell me how they managed to pull this off?
    She killed a Vong with her mind.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King
    So she's a canonical Mary Sue in the novels? Ah, the depths to which Trek fiction has sunk.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

Quote Originally Posted by RaconteurX View Post
    So she's a canonical Mary Sue in the novels? Ah, the depths to which Trek fiction has sunk.
    Hell if I know. I'm just not a huge fan of licensed EUs like this...
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Well. It started with the DS9 relaunch reall. Ezri may have been happy with a life as a ships counsellor, but as she came to terms with being joined with the Dax symbiont she found herself unhappy in that role.

So she switched to the command track, and as a Lieutenant was the XO on the Defiant.

Now, the rest I am guessing a bit (as I stopped reading about here), but there were an awful lot of opportunities for promotion in post Dominion War universe due to the high level of casualties. And for an experienced front line officer (ie; Dax) to not find themselves propelled forward in a career at a high rate would actually seem a little odd really.

Does that help with helping define how a character can rise in rank in that time?

If not. Remember. Its fiction. The two together should do it.
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

She was serving as the second officer when the captain and first officer were killed during the initial Borg attacks. She received a field promotion to captain.

Thank you, Dan and PicardX. That explains a lot, and I can definitely accept that. I had, in fact, hoped it was something like that and not some lame-ass bullpoop.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    Ok, I'll bite: are you kidding? And, what's a Vong (i mean, I know they have Vong in the Star Wars EU, but don't seem to remember which race that is.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Ok, I'll bite: are you kidding? And, what's a Vong (i mean, I know they have Vong in the Star Wars EU, but don't seem to remember which race that is.)
    It's a joke that requires knowledge of the obscurities and criticism thereof of three different SF fandoms to make sense. Perhaps my sarcasm is a bit arcane sometimes...

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13 View Post
    Thank you, Dan and PicardX. That explains a lot, and I can definitely accept that. I had, in fact, hoped it was something like that and not some lame-ass bullpoop.
    No, no bullpoop. The series of post-TV series DS9 books have done a really nice job of continuing the character threads forward. Through the novels, Ezri finds she takes to command really well, and it eventually culminates in her getting a command.

And there's some precedent for young captains in Starfleet. JT Kirk for one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ineti View Post
    No, no bullpoop. The series of post-TV series DS9 books have done a really nice job of continuing the character threads forward. Through the novels, Ezri finds she takes to command really well, and it eventually culminates in her getting a command.

And there's some precedent for young captains in Starfleet. JT Kirk for one.
    Picard for another. He was born in 2305,entered the academy in 2322 & took command of the Stargazer in 2333.Making him 28 yrs old,a year or two younger than Kirk.

But, don't forget, as a blended organisim, Ezri Dax has lifetimes more experience than the Ezri host. I'm sure, in a universe of symbiotic relationships, species with 8 year lifespans and super intelligent androids that know the sum total of all human knowledge in the first second of activation, that SF uses more than age to decide who's good to be a captain of a ship.

Although, I can't really see Ezri as a command sorta person. At times, she barely seemed sure of things in her chosen profession, let alone being the one in charge, imho.