View Poll Results: Will the new Star Trek movie bring us a new Star Trek RPG?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. I am reasonably sure of that.

8 14.29%
  • No. I don't see this happening.

28 50.00%
  • There might be somehting new in the works, but it'll take some time.

17 30.36%
  • I know that there is something in the works. I just can't say what.

3 5.36%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Star Trek movie --> New Star Trek RPG?

New Star Trek movie --> New Star Trek RPG?

So what do you guys think:

Will the new Star Trek movie bring us a new version of a Star Trek roleplaying game?

Mind, that I don't ask, if you would like to see a new game or not, but if you think that there will be a new game in the works.

To make things more interesting, I have included a poll.

I seriously, seriously doubt it. I don't see many people going after that license, for some reason, and the ones I do see possibly going for it, I don't want to do so.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

I think that Matthew Sprange has declared time and again, that he isn't a big Trekkie and therefore doesn't want to persue the license.

If Paramount can make some good $$$ through another license I can see them bringing back an RPG . . . but it requires a new generation of Fans, something they haven't really done since the late 90s. We as a community are almost a decade behind the curve . . . we need new young blood . . . they have disposable income and the eagerness to carry the torch when we get older and slower (but wiser and more experienced).
    Therefore, just one movie will not be enough . . . but that doesn't mean that there isn't people bidding for the license . . . and working on things. Especially with the ST:MMORPG in the works.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

I'd only want a new one if I was the one developing it.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    I'd only want a new one if I was the one developing it.
    That sound extremely self-centered

I seriously doubt there will be a new RPG coming. Maybe MW would do one but probably only for the new movie and with just a few supplements, meaning 1-3 books. Considering how small their support for BSG and Serenity is, I would hope they don't do a game ( although the games as such were quite good ).

But frankly I think Star Trek is dead - at least over here in Germany there is nothing left of it. There are not even any books coming up anymore and no book-shop I know - and I know a lot and good ones - has any, not even in English. If the new movie should be ablte to revive the genre ( which I think cannot be achieved without the major part of the already existing fanbase ), then maybe we will get another movie or series and for that we might see a new RPG.

On the other hand I think we do not need a new RPG.
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

But frankly I think Star Trek is dead - at least over here in Germany there is nothing left of it. There are not even any books coming up anymore and no book-shop I know - and I know a lot and good ones - has any, not even in English. If the new movie should be ablte to revive the genre ( which I think cannot be achieved without the major part of the already existing fanbase ), then maybe we will get another movie or series and for that we might see a new RPG.
    Evan, I disagree on that, as lately cross cult put some books on the market in Germany.
    First the "Vanguard" Novels with the last appearing in late June and a translation of the "Titan" Novels is coming up next.

I have already read them and rated them here...
    http://www.ringbote.de/

But see for yourself on

http://www.startrekromane.de/
    "Space may be the Final Frontier, but it's made in a Hollywood basement"

Red Hot Chili Peppers "Californication"

"per aspera ad astra"

Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by Cut View Post
    That sound extremely self-centered
    I feel pretty strongly about it, honestly. The LUG and Decipher guys got it. Hite, SJohn, Laws, Moore, Isaacs, Cambias, Long, Mappin & co.–they grokked what made Trek Trek, and they embraced it. I dread the idea of Mongoose or another random penny-a-sentence factory grabbing it is because I'm worried that the sourcebooks would just become [strike]Starship Troopers[/strike] Starfleet Marines. Prime teams running around phasering people left and right and crap like that.

I'm sure it's partially just fanboy possessiveness, and my ability to run a game way I want to can't be taken away, but right now I'm more or less developing a Trek game as I want it. The next issue of BTFF is probably going to be thousands of words and dozens of pictures of my Trek, lovingly handcrafted as a paean to what Trek means to me, and sharing that is something I enjoy. And it's coming out with virtually no competition : P

EDIT: Short answer: I don't want it to suck.
    Last edited by The Tatterdemalion King; 08-31-2008 at 05:18 AM.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    I feel pretty strongly about it, honestly.

EDIT: Short answer: I don't want it to suck.
    Fair enough

A new RPG is not crazy, but there is a the 'curse' to tend with each trek license failing due to either manufacturing faults (poor releas scheduals, poor products, bad take on the subject), limited production, and at times just plian bad product. Trek can work if Paramount will let it grow, a very real posibility with the old team of Berman and and the boy wonder now gone. But there also needs to enogh product and any attempt will be based on the new movie and not the older stuff sorry guys. so whicl I believe the a new RPG has been brought up and talked about it will be a long time before we see it on the shelf.
    Draftsmen in Training

Quote Originally Posted by Eric R. View Post
    But there also needs to enogh product and any attempt will be based on the new movie and not the older stuff sorry guys.
    I haven't seen any evidence that there's a LotR-style sub-licensing distinguishing the new movie from older material. I mean, most of the merchandising will be new tie-ins, but it's not like it's the dawn of the last Picard action figures or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan van Eyk View Post
    On the other hand I think we do not need a new RPG.
    I concur. I already have my favorite Trek RPG, LUGTrek.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

It will depend wholly on whether the new film sucks or not really. If it does well, like any franchise it might be rekindled. Time will tell!
    Ta Muchly

Quote Originally Posted by Tobian View Post
    It will depend wholly on whether the new film sucks or not really. If it does well, like any franchise it might be rekindled. Time will tell!
    Concerning everyone's fear that WotC might bid for it -- not my fear -- best NOT to have a new Trek RPG. I'm satisfied with what I have.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer