Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Trek Trailer

I will give this for Abrams. My interest in all things Trek has really died down over the past several years. But I really liked this trailer - especially seeing it on the big screen. I know Abrams has indicated he's inspired by Star Wars, but the line "your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes he saved 800 lives, including yours" just screamed Star Trek to me. Not the techie side of it, nor the politics, nor the complicated timeline - it captured the human aspect of Star Trek.
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Stack View Post
    ... but the line "your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes he saved 800 lives, including yours" just screamed Star Trek to me. Not the techie side of it, nor the politics, nor the complicated timeline - it captured the human aspect of Star Trek.
    And you made it into a very nice sig there

But you're right. There is much Star Trek in that sentence.

...but the line "your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes he saved 800 lives, including yours" just screamed Star Trek to me.
    That is easily one of the most awesome lines I've heard in a long time, and the guy they've got playing Pike is just phenomenal. I also liked the other Pike line that they had in there: "I dare you to do better."

You're right, that just screams the human adventure side of Star Trek to me. I have some really high hopes for this film.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

On another note: What do we know about the father of Jim Kirk? Is it canon that he commanded a starship, even for only 12 minutes? TOS isn't me strong suit, so this is a genuine question and not an effort to flame.

Quote Originally Posted by Cut View Post
    On another note: What do we know about the father of Jim Kirk? Is it canon that he commanded a starship, even for only 12 minutes? TOS isn't me strong suit, so this is a genuine question and not an effort to flame.
    Five years ago I coulda shaken the answer out of of my brain. As far as tv and movies go, I don't think there is anything about him. But I'm pretty sure some of the books had a George Samuel Kirk as a Starfleet officer - I have vague recollection that he was the first first officer of the Enterprise or something like that.
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

Five years ago I coulda shaken the answer out of of my brain. As far as tv and movies go, I don't think there is anything about him. But I'm pretty sure some of the books had a George Samuel Kirk as a Starfleet officer - I have vague recollection that he was the first first officer of the Enterprise or something like that.
    Diane Carey, I believe, had a novel called Final Frontier, where George Kirk was first officer to Robert April on the first mission of the Enterprise, before her markings had even been painted on. In fact, she hadn't even been named at that point, and George Kirk was the man who convinced April that she should be called Enterprise.

Entertaining book, but not too dependable in the realms of how ships are named and such things (they're named a long time before the keel is laid, let alone their first operational trials).

As for canonical, on-screen mentions of George Kirk...I can't think of any.

Great book - and in the 23rd century when Vulcans become part of the scene, who knows how ships are named?
    USS INDEPENDENCE

"FREEDOM'S FLAGSHIP"

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13 View Post
    Diane Carey, I believe, had a novel called Final Frontier, where George Kirk was first officer to Robert April on the first mission of the Enterprise, before her markings had even been painted on. In fact, she hadn't even been named at that point, and George Kirk was the man who convinced April that she should be called Enterprise.

Entertaining book, but not too dependable in the realms of how ships are named and such things (they're named a long time before the keel is laid, let alone their first operational trials).

As for canonical, on-screen mentions of George Kirk...I can't think of any.
    You are correct sir! I'm sure of that since I recently ran an adventure loosely based on that novel (thereby having recently reread it); I didn't want another adventure getted skunked by continuity come May 8th, even if this one was derivative.

George Kirk as Starfleet officer also appeared in Diane Carey's Best Destiny novel and as a retired officer come to check on wayward sons in Shatner's first Starfleet Academy novel Collision Course.

Hold on one moment, George Samuel Kirk was James Kirk's older brother mentioned in TOS: Operation Annihilate.
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Hold on one moment, George Samuel Kirk was James Kirk's older brother mentioned in TOS: Operation Annihilate.
    George Samuel Kirk Jr., though that's not technically canon.

Only the Junior part is not canon, but apparently will become so with the release of the new film.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

Quote Originally Posted by RaconteurX View Post
    Only the Junior part is not canon, but apparently will become so with the release of the new film.

That's right

Everytime I watch that trailer it gives me goosebumps and brings a tear to my eye. I cannot wait. This has the feel of epic Star Trek that I have so badly missed.
    Last edited by daddystabz; 03-25-2009 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RaconteurX View Post
    Thus my use of the word "technically".

I can't wait to see this movie