Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New Trek Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Cut View Post
    What parts of Canon are being radically changed? Are we actually 'losing' the old Canon/timeline/Star Trek or what?
    Orci/Kurtzman are claiming it just jumps track to a parallel universe, like 'Yesterday's Enterprise,' except nothing gets un-destroyed at the end.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

So what does that mean?

Is what we know all gone (TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT) or are we know playing in a different sandpit that exists paralell?

Quote Originally Posted by Cut View Post
    So what does that mean?

Is what we know all gone (TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT) or are we know playing in a different sandpit that exists paralell?
    It's Marvelized. The site is calling Nimoy "Spock Prime."
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

the term is valid. I mean how would you like "Spock 1.0" For Nimoy's character?
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Quote Originally Posted by BouncyCaitian View Post
    the term is valid. I mean how would you like "Spock 1.0" For Nimoy's character?
    Either one is better than "Spock-616" : P

Marvel....the only lot that make Berman & Braga look moderate with Time travel and cross dimensional rubbish
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Given some not-too-spoilerish reviews I've read, I think a fitting term would be Spock-Mainstream (Quinto) and Spock-Fanboyish (Nimoy). Actually, that could be used for the universe as well.

I really really hope this movie won't turn out as I fear it will turn to be, and, if so, that it won't fare well in France. Trek is known around here as "the crappy old series with the pointy-eared guy and terrible FX", but I think it is better though than "that super movie from Abrams with lots of FX and fights and stuff".
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by C5 View Post
    Given some not-too-spoilerish reviews I've read, I think a fitting term would be Spock-Mainstream (Quinto) and Spock-Fanboyish (Nimoy). Actually, that could be used for the universe as well.

I really really hope this movie won't turn out as I fear it will turn to be, and, if so, that it won't fare well in France. Trek is known around here as "the crappy old series with the pointy-eared guy and terrible FX", but I think it is better though than "that super movie from Abrams with lots of FX and fights and stuff".
    With the exception of you, I think the French wouldn't know a good sci-fi if it hit them with an Eiffel Tower.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Well I can't say too much without spoiling it, but I wasn't disappointed, just very tired as I didn't get to bed till after 3 am and had to be up at 7 LOL

This film could well upset some trekkies/trekkers (whatever the hell you call them these days) but it most certainly didn't upset me, it was a tour-de-force of emotions, explosions and bold risk-taking with the franchise.

I think a lot of people have got hung up on the visual aspect of it, that it doesn't look like some horrible retro show from the 60's. I think they missed the point. The Original series, like TNG after it were on the forefront and cutting edge of visuals, special effects and what was possible. In much the same way the Motion Picture and Wrath of Khan pushed the envelope. So much of the series and films which came after were rather 'lazy' and didn't stretch either their effects budget, or the possible, and this is far more in the spirit of the former, and not the latter. It's a movie which has really pushed the envelope, and isn't just a slightly third rate B - movie.

I think the only thing that annoyed me about it was they slightly overly dumbed it down, when it didn't need to be, in terms of technobabble, like they were tring too hard to not say big words. On the flip side the ships were gorgeous, absolute tech pr0n!
    Ta Muchly

Quote Originally Posted by REG View Post
    With the exception of you, I think the French wouldn't know a good sci-fi if it hit them with an Eiffel Tower.
    An exception that needs to be spread to the other French members of this forum, but otherwise, I must admit sometimes I tend to have the same opinion...
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

I watched it yesterday and I did enjoy the movie, because it was entertaining and fun.

I am a little ... disheartened that it basically makes everything that has happened in Star Trek (with the exception of Enterprise), something relegated to another timeline.

On the plus side, given the success of this film, we will likely see all new adventures of Kirk and crew ... just in an alternate timeline.