Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What really happened to Decipher

[Admin hat on]
    Some of us consider the "hang him high" approach as a suitable venting, other of us don't. As long the thread doesn't get out of hand, I will allow this venting. Mentioning that one is creeped out or surprised by other members wishing someone a rectal prodding in the showers, or being salvage for organs, is equally valid. This does not mean that they don't wish him to rot in a jail cell for a very long time.

What would be a suitable punishment is a political discussion, and we do have a specific forum for that.
    [Admin hat off]

As mentioned, a lot of people lost a lot of money, their jobs, and/or time due to this creep. Including some people who are registered as a member here. Sad to hear about that. Had guess it would had been easier to take if it only had been bad business practice. Taking so long before detecting it must be either bad business practices, or knowing about it, and letting it continue.

The only good news I can see in it is, having it in public shows that it wasn't because of there was no market. So it do increase the possibility that someone else picks up the license. Good news for the fans, an almost insignificant condolence for those who lost a lot of money.

Now, my own venting would either involve family jewels and a dull knife, or a rope, a thick branch, and an ant hill. But I think I keep those details to myself.

If people honestly took internet ranting seriously George Lucas would live in a bunker with a bullet proof vest and have at least 1 pool filled with sharks with lazers mounted on their heads

TMK - people are just letting of steam, because they are justifiably angry. I don't think anyone will ACTUALLY go round to his house and try and hang him, this is just people expressing their anger. Don't confuse expressions and metaphors with genuine intent!
    Ta Muchly

While this all is really sad, it also shows clearly to where blind trust can lead.

It makes me wonder what was on his mind the whole time - Decipher must have made it really easy to betray them on this magnitude.
    So in the end it is still deciphers fault. This guy just took all he could get out of it - but still he has not killed anyone.

But venting a bit of steam is alright as long as you don't grab a gun and pay him a visit.
    Still since the official Game has been dead for some time this all is more a
    "I'm not really surprised at this revelation" situation for me.

It's more or less over officially - at least. So it’s time to move on and look forward sometime someone will pick up the license again and all this will be almost forgotten.
    "Space may be the Final Frontier, but it's made in a Hollywood basement"

Red Hot Chili Peppers "Californication"

"per aspera ad astra"

Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by Taliesin View Post
    There's a very good reason Bernie Madoff's wearing a Kevlar vest these days. It's the same reason Dante reserved his Tenth and lowest Circle of Hell for Betrayers.
    Not a huge fan of Dante's theology, here...
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

I've known about this for some time, maybe three years now, but was sworn to secrecy. At any rate the whole sorry story of what really happened to Decipher and the LotR RPG is told here:

http://hamptonroads.com/node/501025

Hell has a special place for you, Rick Eddleman, you SOB. Not because of something as petty as the fact that you robbed us of our favorite game, but because you stole from your own family and from 90 people that entrusted you with their finances. How many freelancers in addition to these poor souls didn't get paid?

You're gonna be up to your throat in excrement for all eternity — right next to Bernie Madoff and all those other Wall Street thieves, you sorry POS.

Taliesin
    I brutally honestly have some doubts if the embezzling scheme is the sole reason they gutted the Decipher RPG Studio.

I also brutally honestly trying to keep my evil half inside me from laughing at Decipher as a company in general.

In any case, except now and for just a brief momet, Decipher have been off my radar when it comes to gaming interests.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Sounds like you two have more disdain for the people on this board who are expressing their justifiable outrage appropriately — with mere words — than the evil cretin whose actions cost 90 people their livelihoods and ruined the careers, finances and reputations of his own kin. Nice.
    Well, I fully recognize that some of us DO suffer from a cultural mindset where, if someone punches you in the face, you're expected to apologize to them for being in the way of their fist, and possibly hurting their hand.

Always hear the same kind of story
    Break their nose, and they'll just say "Sorry!"
    Tell me, what kinda freaks are that polite?
    - Weird Al
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Quote Originally Posted by First of Two View Post
    Well, I fully recognize that some of us DO suffer from a cultural mindset where, if someone punches you in the face, you're expected to apologize to them for being in the way of their fist, and possibly hurting their hand.
    Making a confession here? Never took you for the hardcore pacifist type. But doesn't it feel quite lonely to probably be the only one here?

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Lundgren View Post
    Making a confession here? Never took you for the hardcore pacifist type. But doesn't it feel quite lonely to probably be the only one here?
    Um, I think you took my statement to mean exactly the opposite of what I meant.

I am the type of person who believes that if someone tries to steal from you, you should have the right to display his head on a pike in your front yard as a warning to others.

But I realize not everybody else thinks that way... in fact, some think completely the opposite, and I respect their right to hold their wrong opinion.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

I am the type of person who believes that if someone tries to steal from you, you should have the right to display his head on a pike in your front yard as a warning to others.

But I realize not everybody else thinks that way... in fact, some think completely the opposite, and I respect their right to hold their wrong opinion.
    Are you sure?

Quite aware of your stand point. But you do have a tendency to confuse those in the middle, with those on the opposite end.

Heh. Yep, if capital punishment was the penalty for embezzlers, there'd be a helluva lot less embezzling going on.

T.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    Not a huge fan of Dante's theology, here...
    Obviously.

T.

Heh. Yep, if capital punishment was the penalty for embezzlers, there'd be a helluva lot less embezzling going on.

T.
    Or, uh, more heavily armed embezzling.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

While that's very Klingon of you, and I'm a Fan of All Things Klingon, I prefer a more sinister Romulan approach: take him into my dungeon and do unspeakable, torturous horror, just to hear the sweet sound of an old man screaming in pain like a little girl. Anyone who happens to be within earshot would then be forewarned for crossing me.

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Lundgren View Post
    Now, my own venting would either involve family jewels and a dull knife, or a rope, a thick branch, and an ant hill. But I think I keep those details to myself.
    Oh, do tell.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

T.

Not really. People will take the risks for the rewards. Plus those with lots of money can always buy their way out of being punished.

Look at the drug trade. In many countries dealing in illegal narcotics is a capitial crime, but the trade is so insanely lucrative that people take the risk.

Not that I'm conding what the guy did. Just pointed out that capital pu7nishment isn't a deterrent when the stakes get this high.

Now if we wanted to stop embezzling, we would need to simplify the tax codes and make it harder to hide the money. Here's a company that "lost" something like $9 million dollars. How can that have happened? You7d think that someone would notice a loss like that-even if someone is trying to cover it up. So either no one was keeping an eye on the money, inclduing the account that they hired 9 years ago, or there are just too many ways to cover up.

At least this guy is being procesuted for a cime, unlike all those executives who have run compnaies into the ground while giving themselves massive bonuses.
    Last edited by tonyg; 03-18-2009 at 01:04 PM.