Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What really happened to Decipher

What really happened to Decipher

I've known about this for some time, maybe three years now, but was sworn to secrecy. At any rate the whole sorry story of what really happened to Decipher and the LotR RPG is told here:

http://hamptonroads.com/node/501025

Hell has a special place for you, Rick Eddleman, you SOB. Not because of something as petty as the fact that you robbed us of our favorite game, but because you stole from your own family and from 90 people that entrusted you with their finances. How many freelancers in addition to these poor souls didn't get paid?

You're gonna be up to your throat in excrement for all eternity — right next to Bernie Madoff and all those other Wall Street thieves, you sorry POS.

Taliesin

Oi vey. That explains a very great deal indeed.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Grr. Not much else to say. Just sitting here thinking of all the products that could have been released with even a tiny portion of that cash.

Not surprising. I still recall the scandals surrounding the financial shenanigans at TSR and Heritage Models back in the '80s. I wonder if Eddleman had a drug habit, much as Gary Gygax and Duke Siegfried were alleged to have had.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

You don't know how badly I wanted to let you guys in on this back in the day (on the old Decipher boards). But I couldn't. Every time somebody would start wringing their hands over why Decipher was letting this marvelous opportunity slip through their fingers, I had to bite my tongue. I'm glad the truth is finally out there.

T.

Crap. That does explain a lot.

And of course, when caught, people like that never have anywhere near enough money left to begin to cover their theft...

There should be some way to recoup those losses. Like auctioning off his organs to wealthy bidders as spares.

That's only justice. You gut the company, we gut you.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

And suddenly... all those questions about Decipher's policy find their answers.
    It's like those movies where the conspiracy is suddenly unfolded and those little details find an explanation, only this time the harm has already been done.

Well. I don't like to wish bad things to people, but I somehow hope that guy will have interesting encounters in jail.
    In the showers for instance.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Yikes, well i never, explains a lot, but it's infuriating! BLEH!
    Ta Muchly

Get a rope.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

I would encourage y'all to post this on every LotR RPG forum out there. Spread the word.

T.

While it sucks what happened, I'm a little creeped out by the reaction here...
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

I have to wonder why Decipher, unlike Palladium, chose to sit on this rather than appeal to the fans for support in a time of crisis. Oh yes, because they hadn't treated the fans very well... never mind.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    It doesn't happen all that often, but I am with you on this one. The extreme reactions are _surprising_ to say the least.

He killed a game and what's more important in my eyes, he cost 90 people their jobs. But in the end it's all about money.

Nothing to call for capital punishment.

Oi! I just don't understand people who do these kinds of things. When Hasbro took over Wizards of the Coast, they found that at least two of the WotC execs were embezzling, which led to the first round of cuts there. (I know two, and I could swear there were more.) I find it especially odd at smaller-to-mid-sized companies like WotC and Decipher where more often than not, you know most if not all of the employees you're screwing over.
    - Daniel "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cut View Post
    The extreme reactions are _surprising_ to say the least.

Nothing to call for capital punishment.

Sounds like you two have more disdain for the people on this board who are expressing their justifiable outrage appropriately — with mere words — than the evil cretin whose actions cost 90 people their livelihoods and ruined the careers, finances and reputations of his own kin. Nice.

There's a very good reason Bernie Madoff's wearing a Kevlar vest these days. It's the same reason Dante reserved his Tenth and lowest Circle of Hell for Betrayers. Passions run high following betrayals of this magnitude. It is perfectly natural, understandable and human to wish the worst on this kind of vermin. So please spare us the sanctimony.

T.