Thread: Two Industry Giants in Poor Health

Two Industry Giants in Poor Health

Dave Arneson and Aaron Allston are both facing health challenges. Aaron is expected to recover, but Dave's cancer is thought to be imminently terminal.

All I can say is, "Damn it." I'm upset about Dave because...well, he's Dave Arneson, he helped invent D&D and this hobby I love so much. I'm upset about Aaron because he's only 48, and while I'm not 48 myself, I can see it from where I am.

So much for having a good day....
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Sad news on both accounts.

I met Aaron at Origins '83 in Detroit, back when he was editor of Space Gamer. I think he ran the Car Wars tournament that year, seeing as he'd just finished Autoduel Champions and Sunday Drivers the year before. Nice guy, great sense of humor. Ghostbusters International is my favorite of his works.

I had the pleasure of playing original white-box D&D with Dave at a small local convention in Rochester, Michigan many many years ago. I still consider it a badge of honor to have been whacked (along with 60% of the rest of our party) by one of Dave's particularly fiendish traps. Terrific GM, he is.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

Unhappy

Dave passed away last night, according to a friend of the Arneson family who spoke to Dave's daughter earlier today.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

Unhappy

Wow, first Gygax, then Armeson... I may not be a big fan of D&D in any of its incarnations, but these were the founders of the whole darn hobby, warts and all. Bummer.

here's an article on Dave

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090410/...dave_arneson_6

he gave us lots of fun times. not a bad legacy
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"