Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Call for Submissions: Klingons

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13 View Post
    As I said over there:

Now that's something I could get behind.

Still don't know how we'd be able to work fusions in with the canon, and so much of Mike's stuff just didn't, and wouldn't, jive with what was put on screen.
    Glad you like it : )

Now, I'm more familiar with Final Reflection than the FASAtrek sourcebook, but in the novel, at least, it didn't seem like that important a part of their society; more akin to pirates taking passengers as concubines than the deliberate experiment the word 'fusion' implies. Was it different in the sourcebook?
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post

Now, I'm more familiar with Final Reflection than the FASAtrek sourcebook, but in the novel, at least, it didn't seem like that important a part of their society; more akin to pirates taking passengers as concubines than the deliberate experiment the word 'fusion' implies. Was it different in the sourcebook?

Yeah. In the FASA version they genetically engineered them with dna of the races they were working near. So klingon-human fusions near federation space, klingon-romulan for work within/near romulan space. The ridge heads were called Imperial klingons and were the top of the social structure with fusions being below them.
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

- Carl Zwanzig

I think the fusion thing is mention in Final Reflection too, but mostly glossed over. For instance, Spock is considered a Human-Vulcan fusion, rather than a natural birth.

I think what Ford was hinting at was that different species probably wouldn't be able to produce offspring naturally. It would be very rare for two species to be genetically compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyg View Post
    I think what Ford was hinting at was that different species probably wouldn't be able to produce offspring naturally. It would be very rare for two species to be genetically compatible.
    Ahh... it makes sense to me now.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by tonyg View Post
    I think the fusion thing is mention in Final Reflection too, but mostly glossed over. For instance, Spock is considered a Human-Vulcan fusion, rather than a natural birth.

The guys at FASA pretty much used the Final Reflection as their bible with the author's permission and ran with it.
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

- Carl Zwanzig

Quote Originally Posted by IceGiant View Post
    The guys at FASA pretty much used the Final Reflection as their bible with the author's permission and ran with it.
    The way I heard it, Ford and the FASA sourcebook writer were roomies...

Ford and one of the FantaSimulations Associates writers were indeed roomies, and Final Reflection and the 1st edition Klingon book were cooperatively written, with both projects gaiinng info from each other, and Ford writing some commentary for the game book.

As I heard it, John M. Ford wrote most of the cultural material in the FASA Klingons book, and the FantaSimulations folks (Guy McLimore, Greg Poehlein and David Tepool) churned out the game mechanics. Regardless of who wrote what, however, it was a groundbreaking supplement. And yes, I believe Ford and McLimore were college roomies.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

Assuming this project is still ongoing, I just want to drop in and offer my encouragement. I absolutely intend to make use of it (i.e. snatch it as soon as it becomes available). The idea of running a Klingon campaign has already been discussed in my group with much approval.

So thank whoever posted links to Eaves' and Drexler's blogs, because I'm starting to get drawn back in–to defend the TOSiness of TOS, if nothing else : P

So expect some updates on the Klingon History front...

Oh, yeah, and BTFF11.

I can't get enough of the Eaves' and Drexler's blogs. They always post more incredible stuff that they have worked on and created. There was a link to another blog were the guy was working with Drexler on the Ships of the Fleet Calendar (I think.) He had done some beautiful images of the TOS Enterprise in a TOS-era drydock. Sadly, I can't remember which blog it was or would post it too.

King mentioned TOS and blogs it reminded me of the post, so I thought I would share.

Quote Originally Posted by Ensign001 View Post
    I can't get enough of the Eaves' and Drexler's blogs. They always post more incredible stuff that they have worked on and created. There was a link to another blog were the guy was working with Drexler on the Ships of the Fleet Calendar (I think.) He had done some beautiful images of the TOS Enterprise in a TOS-era drydock. Sadly, I can't remember which blog it was or would post it too.
    Deg?

I dug around and was able to find the blog and the article. Here it is.

http://blog.darendoc.com/?p=402

I have a fair bit of stuff on my nomghar page. Most of it is non-system-specific. Use what you want. Note that the Klingon Archaeological Society was not my idea, but something a couple of my friends came up with when they were in Belgium. (Belgium, man! Just Belgium!) I played with a rationalisation and translation of it, though... As for Fusions, check out the IKS in the Triangle entry on my Rising Sun site. I think it may strike a chord... Adapt as required.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post

The problem with "Final Reflection" is that a lot of it has been invalidated by now. The one specific thing I remember is that, according to the book, Klingons had very short lifespans, and in canon they're almost at Vulcan level.