Thread: Star Trek For the Troops

Star Trek For the Troops

A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

This was the first thing associated with this movie that has brought me any joy. While I may not be thrilled with the direction of Trek movies, this was indeed a classy move. Nice job for Abrams and crew; I tip my hat for that special screening.
    Crimson Hand Gamers...why have your own site when there's Facebook?

Nice move and interesting read (I only tackled the first article) but this here worries me a bit:

One thing is certain however: the story told here has altered the Star Trek universe in such a way that there is no going back for any of us. And it is this point that makes this movie accomplish its goal of starting things all anew and allowing us to fondly remember old characters that we have just met.
    What's that supposed to mean? Does Star Trek get "vonged" after all?

I haven't taken any info on the new film, didn't want to get spoilered so far: BUT In me there is a fear growing after reading these lines quoted lines above. It goes like this: The movie involves time travel, right?

What if this timetravel changes the faces of our TOS heros completely from the old faces of Shatner and Nimoy to those of the new cast. Star Trek indeed would never be the same, although the same heros would be around. A frightening thought, don't you think? I hope that such a thing is not the case for the universe being altered in a way that there is no going back for us...

Quote Originally Posted by Cut View Post
    I haven't taken any info on the new film, didn't want to get spoilered so far: BUT In me there is a fear growing after reading these lines quoted lines above. It goes like this: The movie involves time travel, right?

What if this timetravel changes the faces of our TOS heros completely from the old faces of Shatner and Nimoy to those of the new cast. Star Trek indeed would never be the same, although the same heros would be around. A frightening thought, don't you think? I hope that such a thing is not the case for the universe being altered in a way that there is no going back for us...
    Yes, it's a time travel reboot.

Yes, it is a stupid idea.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Yes, it's a time travel reboot.

Yes, it is a stupid idea.
    But it is the most easiest way to explain everything without changing the original canon.
    -Which will stay just the same anyways.
    We just get something like a Mirror Universe movie with a brand new timeline. The Opportunities will be endless...
    And fans around the globe will probably hate it just because Shatner was not involved

We'll see if this kind of "alternate" ST History get any lasting fans...
    "Space may be the Final Frontier, but it's made in a Hollywood basement"

Red Hot Chili Peppers "Californication"

"per aspera ad astra"

Seneca

Yes, it's a time travel movie that sets up an alterenate Star Trek timeline.

Yes, it's the ONLY way you're going to get any more TOS-Era storytelling on the big screen. And probably any Trek at all. TNG people are too old, DS9 was broken up at the end, VOY came home, and ENT is... well, ENT.

Yes, complaining about it will do even less good than setting yourself on fire like one of those Buddhist monks protesting the Vietnam war, and be considerably less visually entertaining.

Yes, the days of analog dials and toggle switches ended 2 decades ago.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Quote Originally Posted by First of Two View Post
    Yes, it's a time travel movie that sets up an alterenate Star Trek timeline.

Yes, it's the ONLY way you're going to get any more TOS-Era storytelling on the big screen. And probably any Trek at all. TNG people are too old, DS9 was broken up at the end, VOY came home, and ENT is... well, ENT.
    And still I take the liberty to object to that take. I'd rather have no Star Trek than Bad Trek.

Yes, complaining about it will do even less good than setting yourself on fire like one of those Buddhist monks protesting the Vietnam war, and be considerably less visually entertaining.

Yes, the days of analog dials and toggle switches ended 2 decades ago.
    [/quote]

Having had a bad day again?
    These last lines of your post are simply showing bad style. Actually I would feel offended if I wouldn't know you and your style of posting.

The assumption that it's automatically Bad Trek, made without seeing the actual film, is really what bothers me about this whole conversation.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13 View Post
    The assumption that it's automatically Bad Trek, made without seeing the actual film, is really what bothers me about this whole conversation.
    I never sad it was bad Trek. I have posted that I have a fear inside me. That is something different altogether.

Just today I fetched the tickets for the preview screening of the movie that I am going to see with my friends. I will give this movie a chance as I have given every Star Trek thing a chance.

But I keep my feelings active. And a change of what I have come to love for such a long time of my live isn't something I am looking forward to. That's all I am saying.

I'm just as bothered by those that "assume" that it's automatically Great Trek becuase of the director, specfic actor, or speiffy special effects.

No one really knows one way or the other about this film. But we certainly can like, dilike or worry about thew things we are aware of about the new film. Personally, I'm with Cut, the idea of doing a reboot/time travel story scares me a bit too. It much easier for the film to mess up TOS than recapture/reinvent/improve upon it. Especially after Star Trek:Enterprise.

Not that said fear has prevented my from buying a box of Frosted Flakes to get a good peak at the new Enterprise.

The writers' track record isn't giving me much faith.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by Cut View Post
    I never sad it was bad Trek. I have posted that I have a fear inside me. That is something different altogether.

Fear is the mind-killer.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Fear is the mind-killer.
    Only if you know fear, you can face it and show courage.

Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Not even Quintessons.
    I mean, seriously, a Transformers movie without Quintessons? What's the point?
    And "The Island"? What was that supposed to be, Clonus Horror II: the Matrixing?
    And what's Abrams done since Lost season 1 that was actually rewatchable?
    Come on.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Not even a decent movie will remain.

And I fear that this is the wrong thread - this one is about the screening for the troops. Please discuss the movie's content and direction in the appropriate thread.
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11