Thread: Starship combat questions...

Starship combat questions...

Game day and the beginning of out Star Trek campaign is today (in just about two hours, in fact) so I won't likely be able to get back to this until this evening at the earliest...but since the second part of my campaign opener, which features our first space battle, probably won't play out until next Saturday anyway, that works.

Running through a couple of mock battles between the ship I'll be giving the players and the Romulan bird of prey (from the Enterprise sourcebook) I'll be throwing at them, I noticed a few things that aren't tracking with me. I'm sure I'm probably just missing the obvious here in most cases but I've manage to grog most of the CODA rules so far...
    Still, if anyone can point out where I'm stumbling here I'd really appreciate it!

1) On p. 114 of the Narrator's Guide, table 7.9 "Shield Strength Track" is indicates that when Shield Strength is reduced by 1 or more then "Bridge panel shorts! (Stunned for 1d6 minutes)".
    According to the Errata to the Narrator's Guide I snatched from http://strpg.patrickgoodman.org this is corrected as "Bridge panel shorts! (TN 10 Stamina to shrug off or stunned 1d6 rounds)"
    [Thanks again for all that CODA stuff, whoever you are!]
    - How do you determine which bridge panel shorts? Assuming we're talking about a bridge station (science, tactical, etc.) do you simply roll on Table 7.10: System Damage or just pick one out of your hat?

2) Likewise on the System Damage Track, how is the result "Thin Atmosphere, 2d6 Stun to all crew" implemented?
    - If this refers to a stun effect (as when a character is hit with phaser set to stun) is there a Reaction test to avoid unconsciousness (assuming the 2d6 refers to the duration of unconsciousness) as with the situation above?

3) When Shield Strength is reduced to 1 or less "Bridge hit, console explodes! (1d6 wounds)"
    - Again, are we talking about a bridge station as above? Roll on Table 7.10 or pick one at random?
    - If I'm on target so far, is that station out of commission until repaired or can I/should I allow PCs to access those functions from somewhere else? For example, if I determine that Tactical's console explodes are my PCs unable to perform Tactical Maneuvers until it's repaired or they're able to otherwise get around that console somehow?

4) On the System Damage Track am I correct in assuming the "A, B, C" etc. refers to system reliability?
    - If so, would a system with a reliability of B means that system can only take 1 hit before being knocked out of commission?
    - If not, do these letters simply refer to a level of damage to that system? (Example, a system taking two hits thus being at level "C" on the track.)

5) Am I nuts or do the TNs listed on Table 7.11 Maneuvers by Type not match the TNs given in the individual Maneuver descriptions?
    - For example, Table 7.11 shows the Z-Axis maneuver having a TN of 10 while the description of the Z-Axis maneuver indicates that it's 15.
    - Match Speed is listed as "Protection" in Table 7.11 but "Target's Protection +5" in the description.
    - Multiweapon is listed as "Protection +5/weapon system" on Table 7.11 but "Target's protection +10" in the description.
    - Target System is listed as "Protection +5" on Table 7.11 but "Protection +10" in the description.

(Or have I missed an Errata somewhere that already addresses this stuff?)

Quote Originally Posted by Sanmateo View Post
    Game day and the beginning of out Star Trek campaign is today (in just about two hours, in fact) so I won't likely be able to get back to this until this evening at the earliest...but since the second part of my campaign opener, which features our first space battle, probably won't play out until next Saturday anyway, that works.

Running through a couple of mock battles between the ship I'll be giving the players and the Romulan bird of prey (from the Enterprise sourcebook) I'll be throwing at them, I noticed a few things that aren't tracking with me. I'm sure I'm probably just missing the obvious here in most cases but I've manage to grog most of the CODA rules so far...
    Still, if anyone can point out where I'm stumbling here I'd really appreciate it!

1) On p. 114 of the Narrator's Guide, table 7.9 "Shield Strength Track" is indicates that when Shield Strength is reduced by 1 or more then "Bridge panel shorts! (Stunned for 1d6 minutes)".
    According to the Errata to the Narrator's Guide I snatched from http://strpg.patrickgoodman.org this is corrected as "Bridge panel shorts! (TN 10 Stamina to shrug off or stunned 1d6 rounds)"
    [Thanks again for all that CODA stuff, whoever you are!]
    - How do you determine which bridge panel shorts? Assuming we're talking about a bridge station (science, tactical, etc.) do you simply roll on Table 7.10: System Damage or just pick one out of your hat?
    I made up this little 2D6 chart to determine what piece of the bridge blows up, based on the concept that low roll=bad:

2 Captain
    3 Helm or Flight Control
    4 Navigation or Flight Control
    5 Tactical
    6 Science
    7 Engineering
    8 Communications or Operations
    9-12 unattended panel

2) Likewise on the System Damage Track, how is the result "Thin Atmosphere, 2d6 Stun to all crew" implemented?
    - If this refers to a stun effect (as when a character is hit with phaser set to stun) is there a Reaction test to avoid unconsciousness (assuming the 2d6 refers to the duration of unconsciousness) as with the situation above?
    I don't know if this is correct, but I use the 2D6 to determine the Stamina TN the crew needs to stay on their feet in the thin air. *shrugs* it works in a pinch

3) When Shield Strength is reduced to 1 or less "Bridge hit, console explodes! (1d6 wounds)"
    - Again, are we talking about a bridge station as above? Roll on Table 7.10 or pick one at random?
    - If I'm on target so far, is that station out of commission until repaired or can I/should I allow PCs to access those functions from somewhere else? For example, if I determine that Tactical's console explodes are my PCs unable to perform Tactical Maneuvers until it's repaired or they're able to otherwise get around that console somehow?
    See above chart for the "where." There are enough canonical references to multiple consoles running tactical aspects (weapons fire from helm, navigation, tactical, operations, etc.) On the other hand, we've also seen canonical instances where someone leaps to action on a panel that just blew red shirt #5 to hell and start tapping out commands. Maybe some kind of reload test of Systems Engineering or something...

4) On the System Damage Track am I correct in assuming the "A, B, C" etc. refers to system reliability?
    - If so, would a system with a reliability of B means that system can only take 1 hit before being knocked out of commission?
    - If not, do these letters simply refer to a level of damage to that system? (Example, a system taking two hits thus being at level "C" on the track.)
    The ABCs determine how many blocks of damage each system can take (with double letters having a "freebie" damage box. See the system damage track you're using [Narrators Guide or Starships]). You start at the relevant systems letter (ignoring any damage penalties "above" it (D, E & F for a system rated C) and tick off boxes and accruing damage as you descend to A and offline.

5) Am I nuts or do the TNs listed on Table 7.11 Maneuvers by Type not match the TNs given in the individual Maneuver descriptions?
    - For example, Table 7.11 shows the Z-Axis maneuver having a TN of 10 while the description of the Z-Axis maneuver indicates that it's 15.
    - Match Speed is listed as "Protection" in Table 7.11 but "Target's Protection +5" in the description.
    - Multiweapon is listed as "Protection +5/weapon system" on Table 7.11 but "Target's protection +10" in the description.
    - Target System is listed as "Protection +5" on Table 7.11 but "Protection +10" in the description.

(Or have I missed an Errata somewhere that already addresses this stuff?)
    I usually use the TNs listed in the manuever. I don't know if thats been addressed by the errata.

Hope that helps!
    Crimson Hand Gamers...why have your own site when there's Facebook?

Well, we had our first session in the new campaign and it went much better than I expected. I'm happy I went ahead and hashed out both of parts of the two-parter, since my group blew right through the first one and insisted on going through the second one, too.
    Which means I had to play from the cuff on that space battle after all.

The only problem I really had was that starting the fight with the Romulan bird of prey sidling in under cloak and then attacking with surprise, while the PC ship's propulsion was still out and the PCs were just stepping onto the bridge and the commanding PC was still three rounds behind them, proved a lot more dangerous than I'd really intended.
    I almost had to fudge just to prevent a TPK in the first game session...but after seven rounds of mutual pummeling the tactical officer managed a multiweapon maneuver, scored a superior success and rolled a solid 12 on the system damage table all on the same shot. Since I was using the last table ("all other vessel classifications") that scored a hit on all the BOP's systems and knocked out their weapons.

So the Romulans rammed 'em.

The PC ship ended up with...
    (lemme pull out my notes here...)
    Operations reduced to B (-2 all maneuvers), Life Support reduced to C (failing gravity, -2 physical tests), Propulsion still at D (-2 initiative, where they started the fight), shield strength at 6 (not that bad all else considered) and a grand total of 6 structure points left.
    After the BOP rammed the, of course.

The BOP was toast.
    Rommies don't surrender, right? "With your shield or on it", after all.

Needless to say the PCs are very happy with this campaign so far.

Quote Originally Posted by K.G. Carlson View Post
    I made up this little 2D6 chart to determine what piece of the bridge blows up, based on the concept that low roll=bad:

2 Captain
    3 Helm or Flight Control
    4 Navigation or Flight Control
    5 Tactical
    6 Science
    7 Engineering
    8 Communications or Operations
    9-12 unattended panel
    I used the System Damage table but this actually looks better. I'll probably go with this from here on.
    I don't know if this is correct, but I use the 2D6 to determine the Stamina TN the crew needs to stay on their feet in the thin air. *shrugs* it works in a pinch
    Excellent suggestion! Thanks.
    See above chart for the "where." There are enough canonical references to multiple consoles running tactical aspects (weapons fire from helm, navigation, tactical, operations, etc.) On the other hand, we've also seen canonical instances where someone leaps to action on a panel that just blew red shirt #5 to hell and start tapping out commands. Maybe some kind of reload test of Systems Engineering or something...
    This didn't happen to the PCs but, as mentioned above, it did to the Romulans. For their sake I guess it's good I didn't read this first or I would have had the BOP still in the fight.
    On the other hand when do you get an opportunity to ram your PC's ship in the first game of the campaign?
    The ABCs determine how many blocks of damage each system can take (with double letters having a "freebie" damage box. See the system damage track you're using [Narrators Guide or Starships]). You start at the relevant systems letter (ignoring any damage penalties "above" it (D, E & F for a system rated C) and tick off boxes and accruing damage as you descend to A and offline.

I usually use the TNs listed in the maneuver. I don't know if thats been addressed by the errata.
    I ended up going with both these options, so I'm glad to have that confirmed as not completely dumb.
    Hope that helps!
    Absolutely!

Thanks for the help!