Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Star Trek: Adventure Gaming in the Final Frontier & Starfleet Voyages

WHOO HOOOOOOO!
    Heaven.
    Thank you immense-ishly!

Now I've got to figure out which one to run this weekend!
    Many thanks!

ok, whoever is responsible for that...ABSOLUTELY ROCKS!!

Allen

That Vina, she is one cool chick.

ok, been looking over Enterprise and if I'm reading this correctly...

...I could play a Logical Good Salt Vampire??

LOL

Allen

Quote Originally Posted by mechascorpio View Post
    STAGFF was the first Trek RPG from Heritage Models, published in 1978. It was based on (and written by the same guy, Michael Scott Kurtick) Space Patrol from Gamescience (1977). Michael Scott continued to refine and republish the rules in various forms over the years, specifically as Gamescience's Star Patrol (a 1981 box set) and finally as Starfleet Voyages by Terra Games Company (Scott himself, I think) in 1982. SV is very much the same as STAGFF combined with Gamescience's Star Fleet Battle Manual.
    <snip>
    Speaking of Michael Scott Kurtick, he is a forum member here as Cmdr Powers but has not been here since late 2005.
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

Really? Wow, I hope he comes back around sometime. The man is the Grandfather of Star Trek role-playing games.

Really? Wow, I hope he comes back around sometime. The man is the Grandfather of Star Trek role-playing games.
    According to him, yes.
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by spshu View Post
    I hope his e-mail is still active because I sent him a thank you note...his game, flaws and all, was the very first one I ever tried to run and part of the things that got me into this lifelong hobby in the first place.

Allen

A thread about the FASA game over on Dragonsfoot purported to explain that FASA was the first official Trek RPG

I set 'em straight about that

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/vi...750168#p750168

Allen

Finally getting these bad boys printed out

I had a weird idea...I'm going to run the scenarios in both games...using the other game's system!

Allen

Well the scenario in Enterprise is certainly much more interesting than the ones in STAGFF! It's probably quite a long adventure as well. The only thing I would suggest is spicing up the Ring creature random encounters.

Unless, of course, you were planning on using Enterprise rules with the STAGFF scenarios. TBH, we tried to run a game of STAGFF using the RAW, the Slaver Ruins scenario, Heritage miniatures, and... and it wasn't very fun. Too much time trying to figure out the rules. Seemed like there was a different mechanic for everything. I haven't run Enterprise yet, but I think it would go more smoothly (of course, I translated it so I pretty much know it by heart!).

Well the scenario in Enterprise is certainly much more interesting than the ones in STAGFF! It's probably quite a long adventure as well. The only thing I would suggest is spicing up the Ring creature random encounters.

Unless, of course, you were planning on using Enterprise rules with the STAGFF scenarios. TBH, we tried to run a game of STAGFF using the RAW, the Slaver Ruins scenario, Heritage miniatures, and... and it wasn't very fun. Too much time trying to figure out the rules. Seemed like there was a different mechanic for everything. I haven't run Enterprise yet, but I think it would go more smoothly (of course, I translated it so I pretty much know it by heart!).
    It is true that STAGFF is...rough. Definitley not the best choice I could have made for the very first RPG I tried to run But, with 30 years of experience under my belt now, I think I could do better. It would require filling in the gaps some.

But yes, ENTERPRISE is a better game although very sparse by today's standards...but imagination can help with that

I might not do this...just because it would take a lot of convincing to get my group to do it. But it would be amusing

Allen

I just downloaded both these games. I bought Star Patrol and still have the book all these years later, so I'm glad to have the Trek version. One note: many of the illustrations were used by Ral Partha for their 25mm space miniatures!