Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many stars in a 20^3 ly area?

Um Sho-Sa, Sig?

Do you guys really go into this sort of detail for a game? Seems a bit much to me, especially since Trek is science "lite" (sic) SF.

------------------

When I generate a sector, I start out with a 20x20 grid, a set of dice and a pencil.

To determine the number of stars in a sector, I roll 2d6+24. Thus, I have 26-36 stars per sector, averaging 32.

I then decide whether there are any stellar "anomalies" - singularities and the like. I figure a 1% chance is good, but this is purely arbitrary, and subject to both whim and campaign requirements.

I roll 1d6+6 to see how many "important" systems there are. I decide what these are rather than using charts... Inside Federation space, one of these will always be a communications relay, as subspace communications require a booster roughly every 20 light years.

For each star, I roll a d20-11 for each of the X,Y and Z coordinates (giving a +/- 1-10 range). Generally, I only roll the anomalies and important systems, but I keep a note of the total number of stars. I mark each star in the appropriate grid square with its name and the Z coordinate.

I don't usually bother figuring out stellar types unless it becomes a story point.

------------------

Talking

I'm thinking as far as level of detail goes, I don't think it's any worse than figuring out the number of star systems in a sector. It just happens to be a lot harder to figure out (having actual mathematics behind it.

My group (including me) are all a bunch of honest-to-goodness engineers who like to geek out on this kind of thing, and I prefer space exploration type stuff.

Come on Owen, detail is FUN!

- DP

------------------
    He whose generals are able and not interfered with by the sovereign shall be victorious.

Cool

Owen, I like that post on how you generate sectors. Nice and simple.

- DP

------------------
    He whose generals are able and not interfered with by the sovereign shall be victorious.

He He, had them going then hey Sho-sa Kurita

Still if you find some decent stuff on the net, let me know.

Or just email me.

------------------
    SIRSIG
    AKA: SirPostalot
    AKA: The MapMaker
    AKA: The Trek Cartographer
    AKA:...Well I could keep going forever

Cool

SIG, Sho...

Do you guys even have lives, or is this extreme number crunching a profession of your?

Sorry couldn't resist...

But for every one here, Many Thanks, your input has been very helpful.

Phoenix...

------------------
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    -Napoleon

Crunchy numbers are best served with Romulan ale. Mmmmmm...

------------------