View Poll Results: What is your impression of 'Star Trek' after having seen it...

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Just great. It blew me away. The movie IS Star Trek!

29 49.15%
  • This was Star Trek. But the story wasn't good

6 10.17%
  • Just great. What a movie. It just wasn't Star Trek, but never mind.

8 13.56%
  • Yeah, well. Nice movie, but nothing too impressive.

4 6.78%
  • Something completely different...

12 20.34%
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek XI discussion [Spoiler]

I'm hearing this alot from the few people that did not like the film: "It's not Star Trek just another SciFi movie"
    What is Star Trek too you?

Me and my gang will be seeing the film this afternoon and we have our game session scheduled for today, too. I'm a little leery about how this might effect the game.
    I'll post my impressions of the film afterwards, when I have a free minute. So far the bashing of the film from the Trekkies strikes me as odd. I would think a fresh approach and an attempt to update the genre to make it appealing to modern sci-fi lovers would be welcomed, even if it meant rehashing it a bit. But we'll see. Maybe they're right.
    I know one thing that bugs me are the rumors that Spock and Uhura "get it on" in the film. That just strikes me as all kinds of wrong. Spock? Really? If they've gone that far then I have some real doubts. If they've gutted Star Trek so badly that Spock knocking boots with a fellow officer serving on the same starship after he just met her isn't out of character...
    But like I said, we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanmateo View Post
    I know one thing that bugs me are the rumors that Spock and Uhura "get it on" in the film. That just strikes me as all kinds of wrong. Spock? Really? If they've gone that far then I have some real doubts. If they've gutted Star Trek so badly that Spock knocking boots with a fellow officer serving on the same starship after he just met her isn't out of character...
    But like I said, we'll see.
    Well...

Put it this way...

Apparently, the people bashing it for Spock/Uhura think that a pretty one-sided kiss amounts to "getting it on."

It's also not implied that they just met.

I would put no value on the opinions of people with that level of neurosis regarding sexuality. They're clearly the kind of fans that people make fun of.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Quote Originally Posted by Slobberknocker View Post
    I'm hearing this alot from the few people that did not like the film: "It's not Star Trek just another SciFi movie"
    What is Star Trek too you?
    Apparently, to some people, "real Star Trek" is zombie-like devotion to continuity (which, for reasons which become apparent when one sees the film, is NOT even remotely a legitimate gripe), and the presence of analog dials and toggle switches.

Fortunately, none of those people were packed (yes, PACKED) into the theater I watched Trek in on Thursday night. Which is good. They likely would have been torn apart by the people who were having a blast.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Quote Originally Posted by First of Two View Post
    Well...

Put it this way...

Apparently, the people bashing it for Spock/Uhura think that a pretty one-sided kiss amounts to "getting it on."

It's also not implied that they just met.

I would put no value on the opinions of people with that level of neurosis regarding sexuality. They're clearly the kind of fans that people make fun of.
    Ah...I got the impression there was some full-blown boot knocking going on. And it wouldn't raise an eyebrow from me with any other character than Spock.
    I'm still tempted to take the bait on the neurosis thing but...nah.
    Apparently, to some people, "real Star Trek" is zombie-like devotion to continuity (which, for reasons which become apparent when one sees the film, is NOT even remotely a legitimate gripe), and the presence of analog dials and toggle switches.

Fortunately, none of those people were packed (yes, PACKED) into the theater I watched Trek in on Thursday night. Which is good. They likely would have been torn apart by the people who were having a blast.
    Good! I really think Star Trek is a great genre and I'd love for it to continue. The only way that's going to happen is with continued mass interest in it. Which requires new fans.
    I say, pack 'em in! Maybe we'll get a tv series with some actual staying power!

Thanks for answering for me and so totally unprejudiced and especially with respect to my first post in this thread...

But to answer the question - I cannot really say, why it did not feel like Trek. And I intentionally chose the word "feel", because it really is not something of the mind.
    For me Trek has a certain dignity and majesty that makes it different from the regular space opera or scifi-show. Additionally there is supposed to be some kind of meaning, something that - in the end - might get you thinking. There's drama and a well balanced humor as well and I think a certain positive tone, something hopeful (which I have to admit is present in the new movie as well)

At the start of the movie, it actually started to "tingle" - but after the Kelvin's loss (and I really did not mind the continuity mistakes done in the first couple of minutes, the Kelvin scenes were the best of the movie, I think) they seemed to have lost their direction for me. The humor was not intelligent - in my point of view - but blunt and in some cases ridiculed the characters (Kirk's hands).
    The above described dignity and majesty is in parts transported to me by the music, the moment ENT-refit leaves spacedock under the chords of the new movie Theme in TMP is simply incredable. I missed something like that in the new one. The music's quality is good and all, but it does not create a Trek-sensation in me. It is like a lone violine against a whole orchestra.

I know this is all not very specific, but that is the reason why I asked what it made feel Trek for the others. In contrast to the claim that the "continuity"-geeks did not like the movie, I have to say that the new Spock was quite Trek for me. It was an interestering character development and the figure had aspects, which were not stereotype, which made good storytelling and therefore was on the right direction - it just did not suffice on its own.
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

not that TOS didn't imply some form of chemistry between spock and uhura back in the day. and I think it's a rather nice twist to the story. Plus I got the impression that Abram's and crew were poking fun at shatner indirectly in the film without being too obvious about it...

I like the film. It was the shot in the arm that the franchise has badly needed since the reign of Bermaga.

Alternate universe means 40 years of backstory, contradictions, and other baggage we don't have to deal with anymore. And They kept to the original spirit of TOS. so good on them.
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Wow, what a great movie.

I felt it was trek.

I do belive this was trek needed to keep going.

Oh.

My.

God!

I haven't had this much fun at a movie in ages. Certainly not this much fun at a Trek movie. I had some doubts, but right now, I'm a believer.

When did it feel like Trek to me? Lieutenant George Kirk's sacrifice. Spock's decision to join Star Fleet instead of the Vulcan Science Academy. Chris Pike's speech to Jim Kirk at the bar, especially "I dare you to do better." Our intro to Bones McCoy (and bravo to Karl Urban for that phenomenal job). Spock and Spock.

This was so much more than I expected, or even dared to hope for. I am a die-hard TOS fan, and this movie was simply a thing of beauty.

Was it mistake-free? No. But I really, really liked it, and will be seeing it again, and eagerly await its release on DVD so I can see it more and more.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

I don't think anyone can make a good case for why they 'feel' about anything, because you are trying to objectively about the subjective. It's like trying to argue that you like the colour blue or like the taste of Broccoli. People's tastes are different.

I completely support Evan's stance that he didn't feel it was like Trek... I just didn't feel that myself, I felt it was one of the best Trek films I've seen, ever, and it was an exceptionally good film, outside of Trek and even Scifi. Which is why these kind of arguments always get out of hand, because when it all boils down to it you cannot tell someone they should like something when they don't and vice versa.
    Ta Muchly

OK, so either this is some giant conspiracy to pull my leg - yeah not very probable - or I obviously have an utterly degenerated taste of movies. Well I have to say that I envy those you were blown away by this movie. Apparently I missed some great fun... too bad. Maybe another attempt with the DVD might work out better.
    Last edited by Evan van Eyk; 05-10-2009 at 04:20 AM. Reason: Typos
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

I will not be seeing it, because I just spent my money on comics instead.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

I actually couldn't finish the movie. I felt it was that bad. I will explain my reasoning here. I will be speaking about parts in the movie, so there will be spoilers. I will give a space so you can look away. You have been warned.

1. Let us start with Time Travel:

Okay, I guess we can overlook the little fact that when Enterprise started with Time Travel, the community complained loudly how dumb it was, but I guess that is okay now. But you're telling me that Nero travels back in time and...he doesn't try to save his people? You just travel backed in time. Guess what? Romulus is still there. You can warn them now and save every last person. I think there was a show called Quantum Leap that did that.

2. The Romulan Species is dead?

Come on. I really doubt the writers ever watched the show. It was called the Romulan Empire. They had many many planets with millions of people on it. I think the species will survive. Maybe not Nero's Mom and Dad, okay, you have a point there.

3. Kirk is a genius?

Oh come on! One, you're telling me he is smarter than Spock? Smart enough to go from Cadet to Captain? Even a Modern Day Military Academy, you have to serve Cadet-Midshipmen, Lt (if you are outstanding).....etc. The Fleet would not trust a billion dollar ship to someone who has absolutely no experience. Even if he did save the planet, they still would not trust him. At most he would have been made Lt.

4. Being angry at Spock.

Again, Come on! At least he tried to save Romulus. Stars go Supernova. Our Star, that big yellow one out in the sky right now, will go supernova someday. Last I checked, we do not have the technology to stop even that (even in the 24th Century). And what about the Romulan freakin' Navy? What did they try to do? You know, when a Hurricane comes, you usually know to get to higher ground and evacuate.

5. The Kelvin debacle.

That opening scene was just bad. First, the Romulan "Mining Ship" (I liked to know how a mining ship gets so freaking heavily armed in the first place) was tearing the Kelvin a new one. The Captain even asks if the shields were up because of the pounding. After the Captain dies and G Kirk takes command, not only does the Kelvin shrugs it off, but they have time enough to not only give birth to JT Kirk, but to argue over the freakin' name!

I'm sorry, but this was just a few of many plot holes in this movie. Honestly, I felt it was Nemesis part Deux. We already know that the Studio had absolutely no love for Star Trek. I mean the Studio head trashed all the sets because it was too expensive to maintain. It's funny, though. Star Trek was the only one destroyed. They still have sets from GREASE 2. Here is a link to what happened : http://johneaves.wordpress.com/2009/...-fall-of-rome/

I want to say that the guys who worked on it, kicked butt. From the link I just sent, they craft something beautiful in putting together the series. The fault clearly falls upon the writers and director for so lazily phoning it in. And before someone says, this is a new Trek, let me stop you right there. They say right up front, Ambassador Spock is from /our/ Trek. /Our/ Trek with our 40 years worth of canon. They couldn't even get /our/ Trek right before they wiped it all away.

I don't know about all of you. You wanted to started over from the beginning? Restart it all? I couldn't think of anything better to start it off with this: Kirk should have been exploring and then kicking some Klingon butt. (No offense at all to those who are great Klingon fans) That is the Star Trek we grew up with and loved. I can not think of anything that would be more action pack with Klingons trying to blow up the Enterprise.

I now duck and try to weather the hatred that will now come my way.

Okay the previews for this movie got me to start up a new LUG campaign with my wife that is going great. It even got me lurking back at sites like this one I haven't visited in years. I was really pumped for this movie and had high hopes, but I have to agree with those who didn't like this movie. When the movie was over I was neutral, and then a few hours later as I tried to figure out what I felt about it I came away with the conclusion: this was a very poorly written movie. I didn't like the movie once the euphoria of the experience wore off.

I agree the people who built the sets, did the special effects, and also the actors tried their best with this movie. It looked good. However, the writing was just sloppy. The plot holes were just heaped upon one another. Now it had some good scenes and it had some moments, but it was really like they just slapped the movie together. I mean just a few lines of dialogue a few tweaks to the story and it wouldn't have been such a travesty. I know origin movies are sometimes just throwaways, but I wish they had tried to make a more sensible story.

However, you know what lost me with this movie? It was the Nokia and Budweiser product placements. That so galled me. 250 years into the future in a post-capitalistic society and Nokia and Budweiser are still going strong. I expected Sulu to have to turn on Windows in order to start up the Enterprise. The lack of vision in the movie, it was just today with spaceships, really turned me off.

I really wanted to like this movie, but it caused the same reaction in me as my initial reaction to Phantom Menace. Of course, having seen the Phantom Menace a few times more I have realized it wasn't quite as bad as I thought, so I'm hoping that the case with Star Trek.

Quote Originally Posted by Ensign001 View Post
    I now duck and try to weather the hatred that will now come my way.
    No hatred, though it seems weird to sign up here just to post some movie bashing. I'll agree there are flaws in the story, but I'm having a hard time seeing any of the ones you cite as being the ones to walk out on, especially after an hour and 20 minutes.

Regardless, I'm much happier with the movie we got rather than the one where "Kirk goes out exploring and then kicking some Klingon butt". Maybe next time!