View Poll Results: What is your impression of 'Star Trek' after having seen it...

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Just great. It blew me away. The movie IS Star Trek!

29 49.15%
  • This was Star Trek. But the story wasn't good

6 10.17%
  • Just great. What a movie. It just wasn't Star Trek, but never mind.

8 13.56%
  • Yeah, well. Nice movie, but nothing too impressive.

4 6.78%
  • Something completely different...

12 20.34%
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek XI discussion [Spoiler]

By the looks of it it turns out it's not: Though the scale of that galactica is horribly wrong, as it should be about 1.2 km in length.
    Ta Muchly

As long as the force is your ally, size matters not.

My wife and I had a chance for a date without kiddies yesterday afternoon. We were looking to see a movie. She was fairly ambivalent about seeing Star Trek and was more in the mood for Monsters vs. Aliens (an awesome movie in its own right - I took our oldest daughter Vicki to it a few weeks back).

However, given our babysitting arrangements, Star Trek worked out much better timewise. She was a Star Trek fan before meeting me - after our first date we hung out in her dorm lounge and wound up watching a TNG rerun - they were airing "Justice" of all episodes. She was more of a TNG fan I think my love of TOS rubbed off on her. She's also much more of a casual Trekkie than me.

In any case, she absolutely loved the movie. She really enjoyed something of a sense of humor, something she felt had really been missing in the franchise - I don't remember her exact wording, but she said something along the lines that in its last years Star Trek either mocked itself or had no sense of humor. She also rather enjoyed the boldness of the reboot, how it took chances.

One aside - I was kinda shocked to see the showing had almost sold out. Lot of kids and families at this showing.
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

I thought it was OK for a no-brainer action movie with some exciting scenes and lots of plot holes. But just because it has a starship Enterprise and some actors dressed up like Kirk and Spock doesn't make it Trek.

Something that bothered me a lot was the age of kirk and spock (I'll capitalize their names when they make me believe I'm watching the characters I know.) After 20 years in the modern military, I just couldn't suspend disbelief in those two kids as captain and first officer of a capital ship. An assignment like that should come along only after at least a decade of actual ship-board experience. I know, a lot of you have already complained about kirk's cadet-to-captain promotion, and I agree, but even ignoring that, kirk and spock just looked too young to command a starship. I wouldn't loan kirk the keys to my shuttle for a hot date, let alone give him a starship.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

Well, I finally saw this movie, and apparently I'm the only one who felt this way about it:

Most Random Movie. Ever.

Honestly, I watched "stuff happen" for 2 plus hours. I was looking for the story to gel, but I felt this movie just meandered about. There didn't feel to me as if there were any cohesion, no dramatic flow. The movie just ran around at top speed bumping into things. My impression was that a barrage of intense action from start to finish was meant to distract from a movie thats all style and no substance.
    Crimson Hand Gamers...why have your own site when there's Facebook?

Quote Originally Posted by K.G. Carlson View Post
    Most Random Movie. Ever.
    Seriously.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

I am honestly beginning to think that there is actually 2 completelly different versions of the movie, from a lot of the writeups. Go out and find the good version I saw
    Ta Muchly

Quote Originally Posted by Tobian View Post
    I am honestly beginning to think that there is actually 2 completelly different versions of the movie, from a lot of the writeups. Go out and find the good version I saw
    Someone should have warned me I was getting the version dubbed into Vapid Clichéese.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

yeah I saw the version where they sprayed 'angry old bitter fanbois wo can't let go of TOS begone repellent' into the audience beforehand. Weird how they did it in 2 totally separate cinemas miles apart?! Must be in that antiseptic spray stuff they put on the seats ?
    Ta Muchly

Daughter Vicki

Just saw it with Miss Victoria, my seven-year old who has gone on a crash course of Enterprise, Tribbles, and the Wrath of Khan to prove to Daddy she is ready to see the new movie.

The young one enjoyed it. She had a super-tough time following the time travel part, but that's pretty understandable. I think for all intents and purposes she just mentally made the two Spocks different people.

She really enjoyed seeing Uhura - whenever we see a movie or video she gravitates toward the stronger female characters. She is probably the only Star Wars fan in the universe who loves Anakin's padawan in the Clone Wars series... She also really liked Scotty - I think his humor rubbed her the right way.

She was definitely upset by the death of Spock's mum - on the ride home she discussed alternate ways to rescue her. She liked the action on the platform over Vulcan - I think she really enjoyed Sulu going all Jedi with his sword and tumbling action. Some of the more physical violence, especially against Kirk, frightened her a bit, though she did like the Kirk grabbing the gun off the Romulan at the end.

She showed signs of being more my daughter than Patty's. She found an old Star Trek RPG book of mine prior to seeing the movie and checked out all the uniforms. She also nitpicked Kirk's ranks and uniforms, making her dad both frightened and proud.

This being my third viewing I noticed a few things. I'm seeing some more evidence that this ship might indeed be the friggin huge size it seems to be intended to be. Which still rubs me the wrong way... I also noticed a few appearances of the number "47". And it hit me the Kelvin looks an awful lot like the Ranger-class starship of the RPGs, which was based off of an unused design for the Enterprise. Just replace the dual nacelles with a single larger one.
    Last edited by Dan Stack; 05-30-2009 at 03:08 PM. Reason: submitted too early
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Stack View Post
    She is probably the only Star Wars fan in the universe who loves Anakin's padawan in the Clone Wars series...
    Aw, but Asoka is so cute!

And it hit me the Kelvin looks an awful lot like the Ranger-class starship of the RPGs, which was based off of an unused design for the Enterprise. Just replace the dual nacelles with a single larger one.
    Have you seen this?

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    Aw, but Asoka is so cute!

Indeed

I stumbled about ST XI concept Art here:

http://www.jamesclyne.com/projects.php?gallery_id=297

@Dan: Interesting read, it's nice to see that obviously the new movie has the potential to rejuvinate the fandom of trek and I find it funny that your daughter nitpicked Kirk's rank.
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

Cool concept art!

Nice review by your daughter too Dan!
    Ta Muchly

I know it's nitpicky, but did anyone else find it odd that the Kelvin's Captain took a turbolift down to the shuttlebay when it is physically arranged above the bridge?
    "Bad thinking is punishable. Good thinking is quickly and easily rewarded."