View Poll Results: What is your impression of 'Star Trek' after having seen it...

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Just great. It blew me away. The movie IS Star Trek!

29 49.15%
  • This was Star Trek. But the story wasn't good

6 10.17%
  • Just great. What a movie. It just wasn't Star Trek, but never mind.

8 13.56%
  • Yeah, well. Nice movie, but nothing too impressive.

4 6.78%
  • Something completely different...

12 20.34%
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek XI discussion [Spoiler]

Quote Originally Posted by Kirbinator View Post
    Hahahaha... yeep.

Yeah, I stopped halfway to do some laundry and I don't actually want to go back to it. I really don't think the movie is actually saying anything either in the Nero's revenge A plot or the Kirk/Spock parallel-life B plot. What's the point it's trying to make?

Did Orci/Kurtzman/Abrams go to Paramount and say, "I have an awesome idea, and it has to be Trek?" Or did Paramount just shop around for big names to sell a franchise reboot?
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

It was ok,but the story had a lot of holes in it. The sets botherd me,the engine room & several other sets looked like they were filmed in warehouses.(even concrete floors & all)It was better than I thought it would be,but it makes me sad to think that in two or three more movies we'll have a new set of actors & a new parallel time line to put up with.Oh well I'll just keep watching the originals & hopefully the people at New Voyages/Phase 2 will keep on makeing their shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Jem'hadar View Post
    But what still made it Star Trek is that at its core, the movie is about friendship & loyalty between Kirk, Spock & McCoy as well as the other main crew members.
    But Kirk and Spock are only friends because old Spock told them to be. Otherwise, they would probably kill each other before the end of the movie, like Spock tried to do SHOOTING KIRK ONTO A DANGEROUS PLANET.

The way I see it, the story in the new Star Trek film doesn't change the old stories or canon from TOS. Instead, it's created an alternate timeline or alternate Star Trek universe.
    People keep saying that, but -- and I know it's a gimmick so Abrams can say he's not changing the original Trek universe -- explain to me why Nero travelling back in time makes the Federation's first contact with the Cardassians happen 80 years before it really happened?

Tchau!
    Superseeds #111: Victoria, part 3. And check out our Patreon!
    Writing: Death of a Swordsman (in The Duelist's Guide), Atlas of Earth-Prime: South America (RPG), and more
    Patchworld: Unisystem Amber (fan)

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorKnight View Post
    It was ok,but the story had a lot of holes in it. The sets botherd me,the engine room & several other sets looked like they were filmed in warehouses.(even concrete floors & all)
    Engineering scenes were actually filmed at a Budweiser brewery. And why does a Starfleet outpost look like an old hospital basement or a set from Saw?
    Superseeds #111: Victoria, part 3. And check out our Patreon!
    Writing: Death of a Swordsman (in The Duelist's Guide), Atlas of Earth-Prime: South America (RPG), and more
    Patchworld: Unisystem Amber (fan)

HA! Okay, I found the problem with the new movie.

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1910892

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Engineering scenes were actually filmed at a Budweiser brewery. And why does a Starfleet outpost look like an old hospital basement or a set from Saw?
    Delta Vega = Silent Hill?

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    People keep saying that, but -- and I know it's a gimmick so Abrams can say he's not changing the original Trek universe -- explain to me why Nero travelling back in time makes the Federation's first contact with the Cardassians happen 80 years before it really happened?
    Tobin Dax met Iloja of Prim on Vulcan before 2245...
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    While this movie does not capture the "spirit of Utopia" that has been built up around the Trek Franchise, it does do a great job of capturing the spirit of TOS.
    The orginal show was about larger than life heroes swashbuckling their way across the stars, getting in big bar fights, blowing up alien supercomputers, and seducing the alien slave girl.
    I fully agree. My trouble is that TOS was not my favourite Trek series by far.
    Actually I recently read a (very negative) French review of that movie which presented an interesting point: the Trek series, over time, had built an universe that expanded from TOS, to the point that the TOS crew were just historical characters, but not exceptional (the reviewer cited for example Kira not knowing who Kirk was).
    This movie returns to its root and states that Star Trek must be about Kirk, Spock, McCoy, and the Enterprise (no bloody letter). So of course, people who liked the universe and the utopia best are disenchanted, while those who remembered fondly Trek as the adventures of Kirk are fully satisfied.

And I agree as well with your comment on the 60's feel of the spirit of the movie concerning women. Come on, Uhura could have done a little more than undressing and kissing Spock (oh, and jogging around the Enterprise corridors without apparent purpose) without betraying too much of the TOS spirit...

By the way, Tatterdemalion King, I don't remember about Tobin Dax meeting a Cardassian, where was it mentioned ?
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by ensign001
    HA! Okay, I found the problem with the new movie.

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1910892
    And with that my dislike for this movie grows, ever so slightly.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Quote Originally Posted by C5 View Post
    those who remembered fondly Trek as the adventures of Kirk are fully satisfied.
    I hate to quibble, but this is not true, in at least ONE case I'm absolutely sure of (and I suspect many others).
    Crimson Hand Gamers...why have your own site when there's Facebook?

I was thinking of Nero, and his plot. I guess that maybe I couldn't write a 'summer blockbuster' movie. I gather from sources that he had intended to destroy Vulcan in his time, and didn't let getting tossed back in time 129 years stop him. He waited until Spock showed up (wow, simple miners apparently all have multiple degrees in quantum mechanics, astrophisics, stellar dynamics, and various forms of mathmatics.....I mean they just worked out what happened to them, and then figured out EXACTLY where Spock and the 'amazing Gobstoper of doom' were going to reappear. I'd hate to see what Romulan SCIENTISTS could do!!!), to get the red matter. To avenge his people.

Or, He coulda taken his super ship to Romulus, either seized power or offered his expertise and expanded the Empire to the point where that supernova wouldn't be a threat (you know, make Romulus a gulag and let those Remulans run it).

I guess I'm not a monomaniacal guy!

Unhappy

Let's see...

The Powers That Be make a policy decision that caters to traditional enemies at the expense of those who have served the Cause for their entire careers. Their decision leaves those who disagree with it out in the cold, in hostile territory, with no back up or rescue in sight. The outraged and baffled former loyalists see the current policy as a violation of everything The Cause has been about since the beginning. Unable to accept this betrayal, unwilling to just submit to their new masters and to the enemies all around them, they band together to wage a covert war of resistance, or sheer survival, because that is the only way they can preserve their identities as loyalists to a cause that has abandoned them, and keep their own vision of the dream alive.

hmm.
    Welcome to the Maquis, boys!
    I say we arm those old courier ships and take it to the Cardie bastards!
    And don't trust that Tuvok guy. I have a "feeling" about him.
    mind you. I don't think this ends very well for us, now that I think about it...
    sigh.

Fortunately, Tuvok now was probably never born so there is hope!

[Stereotypical Mobsters with pointed Vulcan earss] : "OOOOOOOHHH!!"

Okay, seriously? This is a joke, right?

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    Okay, seriously? This is a joke, right?
    Alternate universe, friend. The magic word that allows every alteration you can think of to be made in Star Trek without anyone complaining save a few fanboys.

BTW if I have to be in the Maquis (and thanks to Sheliak Bob I realize I now understand how they felt ) I find it better to be in the same ship as Tuvok. After all, they were the only crew who survived the Dominion's purge of the Maquis
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett