Thread: Blog updated with thoughts on campaigns

Blog updated with thoughts on campaigns

Seeing Star Trek got me thinking about Star Trek gaming. It's been years since I've been in an active Trek game. I updated my gaming blog with some thoughts on some of the issues Star Trek games are likely to run into along with thoughts on remedies. It's nothing earthshattering and pretty much recaps much that has been discussed in the past but in case it's of interest to anyone...
    http://breeyark.wordpress.com/2009/0...rek-campaigns/
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

Nice! I like your thoughts.
    For my group I'm perfectly willing to allow them to beam nukes onto the bridge of a Klingon ship and violate the prime directive (though, really, there isn't one yet in my campaign). Heck, I look forward to it.
    We said way back before we started our Star Trek campaign that if we ever did our PC group would inevitably end up going rogue, with Starfleet likely chasing them through the universe to recover their starship that these lunatics had absconded with. That was the main reason we've held off for so long from starting a Star Trek game, even though we love the setting. So I dropped them in an alternate timeline right before the Earth/Romulan war kicked off, reasoning that they'd have a lot of leeway in acting not-so-much in keeping with Star Trek principles.
    I'm still expecting they'll get into trouble with their Starfleet superiors, though. Which will be fun. Really, if I had any true Trekkies in my gaming group I'd have no doubt they'd end up suffering a heart attack at the table eventually.

If you want to discuss difficulties in translating Star Trek to an RPG environment then try these issues that have already come up in my game:

1) "The hell just happened?! The bridge console exploded?! I want the chief engineer up here on the double the second we finish kicking these guy's asses!"

2) "Can I get the chief engineer to start looking at proposals for moving the bridge somewhere other than right on top of the danged ship? Like, maybe somewhere it'd be more difficult to shoot at?"

3) "How badly would Starfleet freak if we traded some phase pistols for something with more stopping power? How about body armor for the MACOs? What about tear gas?"

4) "Grenades?"

5) "Do I have to make a test to get my subordinate to obey a difficult order? The chain of command is the chain I go get and beat you with until you recognize who's in ruttin' command."

6) "How hard would it be for your engineering team to upgrade our shuttles? You know, make some actual fighters out of them."

7) "What do you mean Starfleet doesn't have fighter carriers?"

8) "Just so you know, we talked about it and decided that the first time some alien civilian pirate ship attacked us or anyone else within range of our sensors, we're going to target their engines, board it and loot the tech for Starfleet."

9) "Oh. So can we just loot it for our engineering team to reverse engineer then? They did that in episode ##!"

10) "This better be an alternate timeline. Because the second we find out Romulans and Vulcans are related we're reporting it to Starfleet."

11) "If you ever play "Faith of the Heart" during a game again we will freakin' kill you."

"Why yes, my character DOES have a goatee!"

This is why I want to run a Klingon game.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    "Why yes, my character DOES have a goatee!"

This is why I want to run a Klingon game.
    Heck, yeah! If this campaign goes over well then that's definately where we're going next. Which reminds me, I need to go encourage whoever that is doing the Klingon stuff on that other thread.

All I Ask is a Tall Ship

Updated my blog with some more thoughts on campaigns - this one centered on the setting - ship, region of galaxy, etc. Partially a reaction to some blog postings by Uncle Bear.

http://breeyark.wordpress.com/2009/0...s-a-tall-ship/
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Stack View Post
    Updated my blog with some more thoughts on campaigns - this one centered on the setting - ship, region of galaxy, etc. Partially a reaction to some blog postings by Uncle Bear.

Wow thats what my current FASA Trek game Thatcher is. A Thatcher Class Multi-Mission Class ship(I used the image of the Mission Class Courier & fit in new deck plans) with a crew of nine hulling cargo & personnel(Diplomats,Admrials,etc.) from Starbase 24 to whereever it needs to be.(they're at K-7 alot.The time period is 2250.
    The Commanding office is a Lt. who is on his 2nd Command(The 1st was a Chameleon Class Scout/Trader w/ a whole crew of 3;counting himself.).The Commander & the Starfleef Intelligence chief of Starbase 24 have called upon the Lt. & his ship to do a few missions beyond his normal orders.
    Have had run ins with a couple Klingon ships (A Klingon Captain has a "Blood Oath" against Lt. McCloud & his Ship.),a couple pirate's & a visit to Risa.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Stack View Post

LOL, when I came across your blog, I had no idea that was you, Dan!

Yeah when I started my first blog I wanted to get away from my usual non-real-name gaming persona of "Breschau of Livonia" (from Sandman). The blog is about history and politics mainly so I went with Publius the Geek - no relation to the Publius sometimes seen here. I started enjoying myself so I went with a second blog for more unserious geeky stuff.

And this way my poor gaming group gets to see me publicly start heading back into the Trekverse after a years long sabbatical. Though it now seems fun again.

Amusingly I thought I'd be blogging more about old-school D&D, hence the title of the gaming blog being "Bree Yark". Our current game is 4e D&D and when I'm not talking about D&D I seem to be talking about Star Trek. Though both me and another player in the group are itching for a 0e D&D game...
    Gaming blog 19thlevel