Thread: Still... old... friend...

Still... old... friend...

but like a poor marksman you keep missing the target.

So I've had my Trek RPG books and deckplans in storage boxes in the basement for several years now. I don't think I've watched a Trek video in few years.

Then last night I catch myself re-visiting some old favorite Trek websites and finding some new ones (I'm looking at you Mr. Groknard...). And watching an old episode on youtube. Help. It's pulling me back in...
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

Welcome back.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

No no no!!! I'm trying to escape.... Khaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!

That said, I love my current gaming group. But it is not a Trek group...
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

I know what you mean... Although the new movie did not feel like Trek for me, it managed to do one thing: Revitalize my interest in Trek once more. I began readin the Titan-Series and listen to the Soundtracks once more... So, it's still there, I only have to dig a little.
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

Hey Dan, ltns
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

- Carl Zwanzig

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Stack View Post
    Then last night I catch myself re-visiting some old favorite Trek websites and finding some new ones (I'm looking at you Mr. Groknard...). And watching an old episode on youtube. Help. It's pulling me back in...
    Join us. Joooiiinnn usssss.

It's that Centaurian Slug we slipped into your cornflakes.

"You shall add your narrating and gaming distinctivness to our own. Gaming Life, as you knew it for the last few years is over. You will adapt to play with US. Resistance is Futile, Dan Stack."

Welcome home, old friend

@Evan:

Quote Originally Posted by Evan van Eyk View Post
    I began readin the Titan-Series and listen to the Soundtracks once more...
    Which one? Original or Cross Cult?

Which ones? Even the newest one? Is it worth getting?

Last edited by Cut; 05-11-2009 at 02:36 PM.

Hello, Old Freind. Come up and sit by the fire a spell
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Quote Originally Posted by Cut View Post

Which one? Original or Cross Cult?

Which ones? Even the newest one? Is it worth getting?

I don't quite get the "Cross Cult" reference. But I began reading "Taking Wing", which is as far as I know the first book (although other boos, I think Star Trek Destiny, are referenced). I read it in the Klingon, erm English original.

Concerning soundtracks, I think the new one is worth getting (I also have the LOST-Soundtracks), but my favourite is still "Insurrection", closely followed by "Undiscovered Country" and "First Contact".
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

I don't quite get the "Cross Cult" reference.
    Cross Cult is the german publisher that took over for Heyne books. The Titan as well as the Vanguard Series and the pre-movie tie-in Comic Star Trek - Countdown are all being published by Cross Cult. I could have asked more simply: Do you read english or german versions of the books.

"Taking Wing" is indeed the first book of Titan to be followed by "The Red King" and "Orion's Hounds". Those storylines develop before the Star Trekestiny epic.

You might want to stay clear of the TNG re-launch book series "A time to...", as it was rather disappointing in my oppinion.

Titan was enjoyable (I am right noe reading the second book as a review copy) and have read books three and one in english.

So if you want to talk about ST novels, just give me a sign

Concerning soundtracks, I think the new one is worth getting (I also have the LOST-Soundtracks), but my favourite is still "Insurrection", closely followed by "Undiscovered Country" and "First Contact".
    As your choice of score music obviously is quite similar to mine ( I would have ranked the OST the same you did, naming the same scores, with a place of honour for the main title of Star Trek IV) I shall give the new OST a spin at a local CD store.

Thanks!

The Undiscovered Country st is heads above the rest for me. The opening overture is so moody. The Soviet anthem/'Volga Boatmen' thing it has going for it gives the entire film a Cold War flavour.

The bagpipes playing 'Amazing Grace' still gets me every time, though.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

eek I'm flipping through the LUG TOS book...
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Stack View Post
    eek I'm flipping through the LUG TOS book...
    It's still the best one!
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Now if that movie managed to rekindle interest in Star Trek (and spark some new ones), I would at least have found one reason for liking it.

(Though I must confess I would not know what to do if I had players asking for a Star Trek game but having seen only the movie...)
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett