Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top ten things I learned watching the new ST movie

Funny, BUT...

Quote Originally Posted by C5 View Post
    - Vulcans being portrayed as self-righteous and intolerant jerks is completely okay, as long as it happens in a story Braga and Bermann had nothing to do with.
    Or in TOS. It was "Journey to Babel" that established that Spock was tormented by other Vulcans as a child. It is a logical extension to suspect that not all Vulcans grow out of that phase... we know not all Humans do.

- The destruction of a single ship is enough to alter the timeline so that 25 years later people invented transporters with a light-year range, made contact with the Romulans and Cardassians, and could reach Vulcan in a few hours at warp 4. Maybe Starfleet should implement destroying a few starships from time to time as a policy in order to jumpstart its development.
    No doubt the Narada (which was, after all, from over 125 years in the future) was scanned by the Kelvin, and those scans transmitted an analyzed to death by Starfleet engineers, who, as we all know, are masters at reverse engineering any and all advanced technology in sight. (See: Scotty)
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

There was also in the TNG-era the Defiant-class being built in response to a single encounter with the Borg.
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Time for the newest Reboot: The Romulan civilzation was not started by Vulcan exiles.....

....It was created by the remnants of Nero's crew, being dumped on Romulas!

(waits for all member's heads to explode when they realize that this event, this movie, HAD TO HAPPEN TO EVER HAVE ROMULANS!!!!!!)

While intriguing, not true. *laughs* The Vulcans that left Vulcan to eventually become Romulans left Vulcan around, roughly, the time of Christ, some nearly 2320 years before Nero's birth. Vulcan was destroyed in the new movie in 2258, about 62 years or so before Nero's birth. Romulans can still exist quite easily in subsequent movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Time for the newest Reboot: The Romulan civilzation was not started by Vulcan exiles.....

....It was created by the remnants of Nero's crew, being dumped on Romulas!

(waits for all member's heads to explode when they realize that this event, this movie, HAD TO HAPPEN TO EVER HAVE ROMULANS!!!!!!)

Actually, I figure this movie has erased itself from the timeline. By destroying Vulcan before they harvest/create red matter, its not there 125 years in the future to send Nero back in time. See; history can take care of itself!

(Warming up the DeLorean, just in case...)
    Crimson Hand Gamers...why have your own site when there's Facebook?

Sorry, Psycho, I must have been unclear:

The mega Black Hole created by ALL the Red Matter detonating (remember, a grape sized bit destroyed vulcan as well as sent Nero and Spock back in time), was powerful enough to send Nero's crew's survivors back home before the Exiles got there.

Making them the founders of the Romulan Star Empire, and explaining why they REALLY hate other Vulcans, Earthers, and the FED in general. And why alot of their activities are usually the subversion of these groups, rather than out and out conquest of them.

Trek has well established that many different kinds of timelines can exist: including:

1. History is wiped, the new timeline has always been (Yesterday's Enterprise)

2. History is changed, but "the crew" still exists (Guardian of Forever)

3. Totally divergent timelines existing in tandem (Mirror Universe episodes)

4. Multiple quantum timelines (Parallels)

5. Predestination Paradoxes (The ones where they were always meant to go back in time)

6. Events are changed, but everything stays the same anyway (Yesteryear)

There are at least some theories of time travel that seem to indicate that if you travel back in time, you also travel to a timeline that is NOT your own, original timeline, but closely adjacent to it.

This would remove the "grandfather paradox" as well as the whole "if I were going to do it I would have already done it" thing.

It would also remove the "but what about 'First Contact' time-travelling," IF it happened that way this time, but not the other times (perhaps due to the influence of the red-matter singularity)

Here's a tidbit that may help... in the "Official Prequel" to the movie, the comic book "Countdown" by IDW, it is shown that the previous timeline GOES ON EXISTING after Nero and Spock's disappearance.

Basically, it's my considered opinion, after much study of all aspects of the situation, that no one needs to feel that "Classic Trek" has been, in any way, altered or affected by the new movie.

Unless they want to. But in that case, they're doing it to themselves.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Well, if we are adding the Prequel Comic Book to this, I think we add to this list of top ten from it.

If your homeworld is destroyed, be sure to blow up the starships that are carrying the survivors of your homeworld. (Yes, they were Federation Medical Ships. But they were also, a.) Carrying the survivors and b.) only medical ships!)

A couple more...

- When a bad guy's planet is destroyed, he tries to destroy other planets as a revenge. When a good guy's planet is destroyed, he does nothing but mourn (even though he knows how to travel back in time). That's how you can tell them apart.

- If someone tells you to open your parachute, do it. He probably knows a few things about gravity.

- Once in a while, try being beamed in a crouching position, in case the transporter chief accidentally beamed you into a cupboard.

- It's never too early in life to learn how to climb back on a cliff edge you're barely hanging on. This can come handy later on when fighting future Romulans.

- Hyposprays do hurt. Plus, they allow doctors to sneak behind you for a surprise injection. And we thought needles were bad...

- If you think you can do something, repeat it a dozen times. It will make you more effective. Also repeat it when you have failed. It might prevent it from having happened.

- Starfleet standard combat gear include a retractable sword. Maybe it's because of a cultural exchange with the Klingons.

- Forget killing redshirts - now it's red planets or nothing.

- In the 24th century, makers of platform video games are contracted by the Romulans to design the interior of their mining ships.

- Standard Starfleet regulation states that a doctor can bring his homework (i.e. potentially contagious or terminal patients) with him on rescue missions. You never know when you could need a feverish swelling patient on board.

- Women are either mothers, (money-costing ex) wives, or lovers (some of them can understand alien languages too). Men save the world. It's good to know where everybody stands.

- If a planet is about to implode, you have to beam down in person to warn people standing in a collapsing cave that they should be moving. This means that Nokia phones still can't reach subterranean areas in the 23rd century, and also that some people can't get a clue.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

The hyposprays hurting... This one made me smile. Back when I was at the university we had a meningitis outbreak. As a result they had the whole university vaccinated as a precaution. They used those funky hyposprays. And to tell you the truth, they did hurt. Not ungodly pain, but more of an "ouch".
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

- When a bad guy's planet is destroyed, he tries to destroy other planets as a revenge. When a good guy's planet is destroyed, he does nothing but mourn (even though he knows how to travel back in time). That's how you can tell them apart.

You kidding. I bet my man Spock has a masterplan. He's just taking time. Oh yes, he will have his revenge. With his dad alive maybe they can do something together. I'd start by sneaking Sarek aboard a Romulan warship, I hear he looks like one of their officers... By the third movie in the series I suspect Spock will be ready to alter the timeline... for a new franchise. Only in this new universe Spock is a lady and portrayed by Megan Fox.
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

So when Doctor Who has the Doctor routinely regenerating to explain the change of actors, Star Trek will routinely regenerate an entire frigging timeline to explain the changes in background and stories
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by C5 View Post
    A couple more...

- If someone tells you to open your parachute, do it. He probably knows a few things about gravity.

- Once in a while, try being beamed in a crouching position, in case the transporter chief accidentally beamed you into a cupboard.

- It's never too early in life to learn how to climb back on a cliff edge you're barely hanging on. This can come handy later on when fighting future Romulans.

- Hyposprays do hurt. Plus, they allow doctors to sneak behind you for a surprise injection. And we thought needles were bad...

- If you think you can do something, repeat it a dozen times. It will make you more effective. Also repeat it when you have failed. It might prevent it from having happened.

- Starfleet standard combat gear include a retractable sword. Maybe it's because of a cultural exchange with the Klingons.

- Forget killing redshirts - now it's red planets or nothing.

- In the 24th century, makers of platform video games are contracted by the Romulans to design the interior of their mining ships.

- Standard Starfleet regulation states that a doctor can bring his homework (i.e. potentially contagious or terminal patients) with him on rescue missions. You never know when you could need a feverish swelling patient on board.

- Women are either mothers, (money-costing ex) wives, or lovers (some of them can understand alien languages too). Men save the world. It's good to know where everybody stands.

- If a planet is about to implode, you have to beam down in person to warn people standing in a collapsing cave that they should be moving. This means that Nokia phones still can't reach subterranean areas in the 23rd century, and also that some people can't get a clue.
    Admittedly, it would be a pretty effective boarding deterrent if your particular species had the capacity to make those jumps and your general alien adversaries cannot.

The sword thing I think was more a nod to Sulu's weapons aficion, and honestly a good blade is never useless.

Quote Originally Posted by jadehorde View Post
    Admittedly, it would be a pretty effective boarding deterrent if your particular species had the capacity to make those jumps and your general alien adversaries cannot.

The sword thing I think was more a nod to Sulu's weapons aficion, and honestly a good blade is never useless.
    This list was mainly meant to be humorous (that, and it allowed me to make gentle fun of the movie, which I otherwise hated ).

But actually I find your idea of building a complicated ship interior to hamper would-be boarders' progression quite interesting. Maybe a race of frog-like aliens, who could routinely perform jumps to distances of up to 2 or 3 meters, would have a very layered ship interior, and become a Klingon boarding party's nightmare.

Mmmh... too bad I don't GM anymore...
    Terry Pratchett

The thing that still gets me is that no one wanted to fix the reality: Ok, they didn't have one big cause that could be fixed (like on family guy, where Peter and Lois not ending up together changed the timeline...for the better), or some big peice of techo-babble that could repair it (like a paradox machine), but neither of the Spock nor Kirk seem interested in fixing things at all.

I'd like to think that if I found myself in some alternate reality, even one where I got my fondest wish, and once I realized that things had been changed and a chance to fix things presented itself came up, that I would fix things. (of course, maybe this reality is the changed reality....wouldn't that be an interesting twist on the altered U story?)

I've learned that Starfleet will make you the captain of their new flagship, even if you wont graduate from the academy for another year!
    "Star Trekkin' across the universe, On the Starship Enterprise, Under Captain Kirk.
    Star Trekkin' across the universe, Boldly going forward 'cause we can't find reverse."
    Star Trekkin' by The Firm.