Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Movie's Effect on Your Game

Well, my campaign is set in 2380, and the current events of the movie don't happen until "Stardate 2387" so I've got 7 game years before Romulus goes "pop!' and Spock disappears on his mission. Other than that, no effect... Other than, of course, the fallout of an Empire collapsing. Heck, I've still got the events of Nemesis to deal with in a couple of years!

My group is set around the third season of TOS and it took a dramatic left when they didn't stop Praxis from crashing into Q'onos. So, I guess I'm already running an alternate timeline. However, they are messing around with time ala the guardian of forever, so... I dunno, I might make it an Abrams universe. I haven't quite yet decided.

If the question is: Did I like the movie? The answers are: Yes and No. Yes, it was a great sci-fi action movie. No, it wasn't my brand of Star Trek, and I grew up on TOS. I'll buy the BlueRay when it comes out just to say I have it.

My RPG is set in the 4YW era. I'm not really into time-travel storylines, but we've had a couple of them and the PCs seemed to enjoy them. I do understand that the 4YW should be somewhere between USS Kelvin and USS Enterprise in the new movie. However, I've decided that we will treat the new movie as an alternate timeline/universe. We are firmly in the FASA universe which won't concern us with Klingon allies, Cardassians, Ferengi, or Data-like androids. There are some things in Enterprise (tv show) that can fit and some that can't, so I use what I can and drop the rest.

No, USS Kelvin and the new USS Enterprise of the movie will not be part of my FASA universe game. Is a crossover to the alternate universe in order? Not yet!!! I haven't even run the Mirror crossover yet, so why should I go for a new movie crossover?

Abramsverse

I'm currently running a campagin set in 2300 (Post ST VI TMP era) and after the movie a bunch of the players wondered whether I would have to rework my universe to incorporate the events into my timeline. But the way I figure it the events that caused everything hasn't happened yet so technically the Primeline is intact.

It does bring up an issue though, I enjoyed the movie but it was way to fatalistic in my opinion and kind of missed the "soul" of Star Trek. But it did spin up a campaign idea: With the destruction of Vulcan, I'm sure the other member races of the UFP would probably begin to question Starfleet's ability to protect them and their interests. Political alliances are strained and member worlds begin signing treaties with one another. The Federation begins to slowly fracture. That sets the stage for a B5-esque reunification storyline where the PC's must help rebuild Starfleet's image and save the Federation by playing ambassador as well as officer.

So in short: in the current campaign - no. Figuring out the mechanics of transporters that have light-year ranges (and thusly remove the need for starships) complicates things too much. I might run a new game in the Abramsverse, but I'll always come back to the prime timeline.
    "Bad thinking is punishable. Good thinking is quickly and easily rewarded."

The movie's having no effect whatsoever on my ST universe. Well, other than an off-hand reference to a "new holonovel, actiony alternate reality story" from one character to another...
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E Oulton View Post
    Well, my campaign is set in 2380, and the current events of the movie don't happen until "Stardate 2387" so I've got 7 game years before Romulus goes "pop!' and Spock disappears on his mission. Other than that, no effect... Other than, of course, the fallout of an Empire collapsing. Heck, I've still got the events of Nemesis to deal with in a couple of years!
    Didn't "Nemesis" take place in 2379?

That would mean the next big thing to hit you would be (if you follow the novels) the return of the Borg.
    "Star Trekkin' across the universe, On the Starship Enterprise, Under Captain Kirk.
    Star Trekkin' across the universe, Boldly going forward 'cause we can't find reverse."
    Star Trekkin' by The Firm.

Yes, but no one takes the novels seriously.

I mistyped. My campaign is actually in mid-2378, after Voyager's return. Nemesis will be happening soon. I 'm not following the novels. I stopped reading them in the early nineties, when the TNG novels were really bad. Is Bajor a Federation member yet, according to the novels? What would be the date for that, if so?

It isn't going to effect my game at all. I am just going to stick to Prime Universe (That is our universe, right?) I am kind liking the time line that is coming out of Star Trek Online, so I am sticking with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Johnson-Weider View Post
    Yes, but no one takes the novels seriously.
    Well, they've been going downhill since they handed Janeway a fatal idiot ball and forgot the Borg aren't the Covenant. Which explains why I only take so much from the newer novels.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E Oulton View Post
    I mistyped. My campaign is actually in mid-2378, after Voyager's return. Nemesis will be happening soon. I 'm not following the novels. I stopped reading them in the early nineties, when the TNG novels were really bad. Is Bajor a Federation member yet, according to the novels? What would be the date for that, if so?
    I hadn't been reading the novels for a long time either, but after Nemesis I started getting into them again and they're pretty good.

Bajor became a UFP member in 2376 (DS9 novel Unity.

Besides the post Nemesis books, you might want to check out the Vulcan's Soul Trilogy for the history of the Romulans & Remans.
    "Star Trekkin' across the universe, On the Starship Enterprise, Under Captain Kirk.
    Star Trekkin' across the universe, Boldly going forward 'cause we can't find reverse."
    Star Trekkin' by The Firm.

Like I mentioned above, I like the timeline from Star Trek Online. If you haven't been watching the site, it is a future timeline. Here is 2379-2380: http://www.startrekonline.com/timeline/2379-2380

I hope you find it helpful. Just trying to help out.

Interestingly, Star Trek Online is incorporating the part of Trek XI in the Prime Universe, i.e. Romulus is destroyed and Spock disappears, but that's it as the rest of Trek XI is an alternate reality. A fascinating compromise - you mostly keep the Prime Universe, including Vulcan, but you have to accept some of Trek XI as canon such as the destruction of Romulus.

I still have a while till I have to cross that bridge as my campaigns are 2378 and 2380 respectively.

STO's timeline is going to make things interesting, that's for sure.

Since my campaign isn't going to be run at that, I won't worry much about the Romulus-shattering Kaboom just yet, if at all. Figured I'd start shortly after Nemesis and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Johnson-Weider View Post
    Interestingly, Star Trek Online is incorporating the part of Trek XI in the Prime Universe, i.e. Romulus is destroyed and Spock disappears, but that's it as the rest of Trek XI is an alternate reality. A fascinating compromise - you mostly keep the Prime Universe, including Vulcan, but you have to accept some of Trek XI as canon such as the destruction of Romulus.

I still have a while till I have to cross that bridge as my campaigns are 2378 and 2380 respectively.
    Well, that's just guaranteed I won't be playing ST:O. I was hoping that Abrams' abortion of a movie would be ignored by Trek canon, but apparently it won't be.
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...