Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Movie's Effect on Your Game

And with all this mucking about with Temporal Physics is why the Federation TimeFleet is around
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Personally I won't be paying it any attention at all...

Except for the new style uniform (branch coloured jacket over a black shirt), though I won't use Nu-Uhura's cocktail dress.
    "Star Trekkin' across the universe, On the Starship Enterprise, Under Captain Kirk.
    Star Trekkin' across the universe, Boldly going forward 'cause we can't find reverse."
    Star Trekkin' by The Firm.

Quote Originally Posted by BouncyCaitian View Post
    And with all this mucking about with Temporal Physics is why the Federation TimeFleet is around
    I was thinking of having some kind of amusing one-shot adventure with Lucsly and Dulmer going forward and arresting Nero while he's still working in a mine somewhere (you know, before he meets Bruce Willis in Armageddon and discovers that miners and hole-drillers actually have the capacity to save worlds and destroy them. *rolls eyes*)
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroArmour View Post
    Personally I won't be paying it any attention at all...

Except for the new style uniform (branch coloured jacket over a black shirt), though I won't use Nu-Uhura's cocktail dress.
    I don't have the legs to carry off a cocktail dress, myself...
    It's a fair point, though. Nu-Uhura's appearance does seem geared purely for 'sexy chick appeal' rather than 'equally competent officer'.

I realized that what looks wrong to me about the new female uniforms is the short sleeves.
    Michael Falconer – Old School Star Trek Role-playing
    “Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?”

“A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!” —J.R.R. Tolkien

Saw a pretty good review on Youtube that pointed out that the overwhelming position of people in Star Trek, at least pre-Voyager, was that if someone from the future changes the present or the past, or someone from the present changes the past, every effort should be made to change things back. Especially if doing so saves millions of lives, but sometimes even when doing so costs millions of lives.
    For that reason, the consistent thing to do would be to make every effort to see that what happened in Trek 2009 gets un-done. Starfleet does not just roll with it about such things, that's just not how they roll.

Similarly, I saw a good argument about Enterprise: the contact with the Klingons in the pilot was a direct result of people from the future meddling with the past, so everything from then on is an alternate timeline and not canon for TOS or TNG.

I hope to enjoy the 2009 movie when I see it (just bought the DVD), but I do not expect to embrace it instead of TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, and VOY. It is apparent to me that it needs to be as wholly separate as either Battlestar Galactica, or Star Wars, albeit with enough similarity to make cool ideas easier to lift. Might steal some ship designs.
    You're a Starfleet Officer. "Weird" is part of the job.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn Pro
    We're hip-deep in alien cod footsoldiers. Define 'weird'.
    (I had this cool borg smiley here, but it was on my site and my isp seems to have eaten my site. )

Well... with the benefit of a little distance now...
    I have to say, it's way too early to give an informed opinion.

Will there be another film? We don't know. The actors don't know.

I'm in the midst of the 'Generations' to 'Way of the Warrior' stage with my RP group. So I can't say about Hobus or Red Matter or Big Honking Black Holes.

One film does not give anywhere near enough information for an RPG to work with.
    The Firefly RPG tried -- with a short-lived show -- and it came up short. (Oh, and before any Browncoats on this forum try to flame me, don't try. Because I will end you if your hands touch metal. Bonus points if you catch the reference.)

Quote Originally Posted by Nuclear Fridge View Post
    The Firefly RPG tried -- with a short-lived show -- and it came up short.
    If you mean Serenity RPG, I will respectfully disagree. I think the game captures the show quite well and that the system is very good.

(Oh, and before any Browncoats on this forum try to flame me, don't try. Because I will end you if your hands touch metal. Bonus points if you catch the reference.)
    "Our Mrs Reynolds" Episode. Opening sequence. Mal to the leader of the 'fellas that had been birddoggin' the township on Triumph.
    "For to win 100 victories in 100 battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill." Sun Tzu - The Art of War

Well... with the benefit of a little distance now...
    The Firefly RPG tried -- with a short-lived show -- and it came up short. (Oh, and before any Browncoats on this forum try to flame me, don't try. Because I will end you if your hands touch metal. Bonus points if you catch the reference.)
    I swear by my pretty floral bonnet that as well intentioned as you are, you are simply incorrect.

Then again, those soft-cotton dresses (like so many people's opinions) "have a kind of 'air flow'".

Quote Originally Posted by selek View Post
    I swear by my pretty floral bonnet that as well intentioned as you are, you are simply incorrect.
    And that Sirrah is a fei fei de pi yan!
    "For to win 100 victories in 100 battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill." Sun Tzu - The Art of War

Will there be another film? We don't know. The actors don't know.
    It has been announced that the actors have signed up to do two more films.