Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Movie's Effect on Your Game

The Movie's Effect on Your Game

I am wondering if anyone is going to embrace the new movie and change things, or run a game based on changes from the movie? As there was very little technobabble it is rather hard to say yes to me, but I like it enough to have the desire. What I mean by that is that I am not sure of top speeds and such technical information that is important to a Trek campaign.

So what are you all going to do with the movie? Anything? Is it going to influence later series set after TOS?
    USS INDEPENDENCE

"FREEDOM'S FLAGSHIP"

I don't know yet. I still want to run my Razor's Edge, 2295-try-to-help-the-Klingons-find-a-new-home, series.

But I also want to do something fun in the new continuity, because I had a frelling blast watching the new film. And I think I know for sure what my next STRPG venture is going to be. I mean, the new Enterprise is 2500 feet long and crews 1100 people! She's humongous, and I love it!
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

It won't have any influence on my games. Don't care for the new timeline/movie so it won't affect my games at all.

It might actually have me playing a game. I'm picturing a one-shot following up on the loss of the Kelvin and making contact with the Romulans
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

When it comes to my campaign, my response to the new movie is...There's a new movie?
    "For to win 100 victories in 100 battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill." Sun Tzu - The Art of War

I'm seriously toying with having some crossover from the Abrams Reality into my current campaign. I mean tech wise the Abrams Reality is going to be way more advanced, in an afternoon, Spock Prime can write down enough formulas and information to catapult Federation technology decades ahead. He knows about the Bajoran wormhole and all the major events, but knows it over a century beforehand. As Vulcan is destroyed this knowledge is critical to helping the Federation survive the future. So you have to figure that 2375 tech will be reached in the new continuity perhaps by 2325 at the latest, especially, at the rate Abrams is going - we already have transporters which can work across systems. I wouldn't be surprised to see holodecks, trans warp, or even the Borg in the next movie.

Then you have to have fun with the Abrams Reality's assumptions. Cadets in command of starships - it's a youth cult this new Starfleet. Mandatory retirement by 40 to keep the fleet fresh and up to date with the newest technology. 15 years is plenty of time for Kirk to command the Enterprise, that would be around time for another reboot with a new young crew for the next Enterprise. Toss in product placement and corporate sponsors and you could have a real amusing alternate reality.

The PC's ship encounters the NCC-1701-Nokia under the command of Captain Wesley Crusher. Picard never got to the Enterprise as he was too old. It is TNG with TOS sensibilities - you still have redshirts, Wesley gets all the girls, etc. The Abrams Reality looks at the Old Reality as uptight, technologically backwards, and repressed. Space Cowboys.

It could be funny and poke fun at TNG standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Commander Ramey View Post
    So what are you all going to do with the movie? Anything? Is it going to influence later series set after TOS?
    I definitely have plans. I was hoping to get some more fluff and crunch out of the movie novelization that came out yesterday, but there's not much to mine there. I'm very interested in those 25 years...

Zero effect on my universes.

One of my game groups is well into their mid-23rd century campaign, crewing aboard the Ranger-class cruiser the USS Halsey on the eve of the Four Years War in the early 2250s. After a mini-Academy campaign, there was a brief Enterprise tour under Captain April for three years. I hit the fast forward button and asked for off camera character development to fill in the gaps of the 3.5 years before the players are reunited aboard a new ship (the last six months pre-reunion I sorta exercised editorial control over to make sure everyone made it onto the page).

My original game group will be genning characters shortly and, like the old Thurs group, will be starting off with a mini-campaign in the Academy and then warping ahead 6 years. But not before V'ger ruins their senior year winter break

Finally, my Origins Trek game remains firmly rooted in the years shortly before Wrath of Khan aboard the USS Gryphon, looking for trouble in the Triangle. At some point I hope to have a digest up of these adventures, but don't hold your breath.

So, thanks but no thanks Abramsverse. I'm just fine without you.
    Crimson Hand Gamers...why have your own site when there's Facebook?

The alternate me who still has a Trek RPG running (my Trek game has been dead for a few years and sadly I don't see it reviving in the near future) might use a few ideas from the premise of the movie, actually, namely the threat on Romulus. And shamelessly adapt any discrepancies to my tastes, of course.

Basically, I was thinking about using the events described in the comic Countdown: a star very close to the Romulus system is going nova, and threatens to destroy (or at least thoroughly irradiate) the heart of the Romulan empire. The only way to prevent it is to use a newly-discovered matter whose secret is jealously kept by the Vulcans. Throw in the players, who can actually belong to almost any power in the Trekverse (provided they have a good reason to take part in this, be it compassion, greed, political agendas, revenge, survival...). Depending on their skills, the adventure could evolve into either diplomacy, spying, science, or even combat (the Romulan centurion Nero could make an appearance).

Should the players fail to prevent the destruction of Romulus, Ambassador Spock would then be used as a Deus ex Machina and sacrifice himself to destroy the nova, creating a singularity into which he disappears, followed by centurion Nero and his very advanced warbird.

Depending on the players allegiance, the following adventures could have them either helping the Romulans to face the aftermath of their near destruction (Romulus could have been destroyed or made uninhabitable, but there still would be the Romulan Empire around, whose some members could now be trying to break free), trying to take advantage of the situation, or even rescue Spock from his singularity (which would send them to a ghastly parallel universe, where Starfleet seems much more militaristic and Vulcan is about to be destroyed by Centurion Nero, and... you get the idea ).

This could also turn into a time travel story, where Spock disappearing in the singularity causes the universe to change around the player's ship, which is conveniently protected by some treknobabblic effect. I might use some ideas exposed above by Kirk Johnson-Weider to extrapolate the new universe; namely, it would be more advanced, more violent, and the Federation could be a lot more powerful. If the players are in Starfleet, they would then be faced with the dilemma of changing the universe back, and losing the new power of the Federation but restoring its ideals. Of course, the new Federation would not like that much and try to prevent it (they could have help from an offspring of Spock, though - maybe with an ancestor of Tasha Yar )
    Of course, this last twist is heavily influenced by my very negative perception of the Abramverse, so it's not suited to any group of players. But the Countdown remake can be a nice idea for different types of gaming groups.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

I think I have my arc for the crossover I might do - a circular story of vengeance. A vulcan who survived the destruction of Vulcan has spent a century working on the means to cross over to the Old Reality from the Abrams Reality. While the Federation is far more powerful, the vulcans are nearly gone. This loopy vulcan crosses over to the Old Reality in 2377, ten years before the destruction of Romulus to do two things: A) kill Nero, B) save Romulus. As he determines with these two actions his Reality will never exist and Vulcan will be saved. Of course, he encounters the PC's ship and he doesn't tell them about his plans to kill Nero only that he has the means to destroy the star which will destroy Romulus. Starfleet Command sees this as a big opportunity to strengthen ties with the Romulans, whose support they need in case the Dominion or the Borg initiate another invasion.

The PCs go to work with the Romulans on neutralizing this star, which the Romulans know is a problem, but have been trying to secretly solve themselves to no effect. The Romulans only involved Spock and the Vulcan Science Council at the last minute when they had no other option - the desire for secrecy and not asking the Federation for help earlier is what really cost the Romulans their world in the future. But now as the Federation knows the problem and has a decade things are much more positive.

In comes the Abrams Reality Enterprise - it's mission: save Nero and ensure that Romulus is destroyed by the supernova to save their Reality. The Abrams Reality is very technologically sophisticated and the 2377 Abrams Enterprise has a young crew of savants. The Old Reality is fighting to save Romulus, while the Abrams Reality is determined save their reality.

Who will win?

: A) kill Nero, B) save Romulus

If he saves Romulus there would be no need to kill Nero in the first place.
    Nero would certainly not run amok among the stars if Romulus is saved.
    "Space may be the Final Frontier, but it's made in a Hollywood basement"

Red Hot Chili Peppers "Californication"

"per aspera ad astra"

Seneca

Yes, but logically if you save Romulus and kill Nero you guarantee nothing goes amiss. You might save Romulus and somehow in the process his wife gets killed - temporal paradoxes a plenty. Plus the vulcan is loopy and probably wants vengeance against Nero even though this Nero has done nothing wrong.

Plus what if they fail to save Romulus...at least if Nero is dead you still save Vulcan in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Otto View Post
    If he saves Romulus there would be no need to kill Nero in the first place.
    Nero would certainly not run amok among the stars if Romulus is saved.
    As a Main Character you know he'll start some Romulan Nationalist Front or something...
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

As a Main Character you know he'll start some Romulan Nationalist Front or something...

Probably, but chances are good that he sticks to his mining operation in the first place.
    If I read the Comic right he is no military type but probably served as a conscript before. Besides if the Empire is saved he won't get his hands on the Hightechequipment to "pimp" his Miningship as easily.
    "Space may be the Final Frontier, but it's made in a Hollywood basement"

Red Hot Chili Peppers "Californication"

"per aspera ad astra"

Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Otto View Post
    Probably, but chances are good that he sticks to his mining operation in the first place.
    If I read the Comic right he is no military type but probably served as a conscript before. Besides if the Empire is saved he won't get his hands on the Hightechequipment to "pimp" his Miningship as easily.
    Well, that's assuming you accept/care about the prequel comic. It could just be a huge, 24th century drilling platform.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry