Thread: The Narrator's Toolkits

The Narrator's Toolkits

I only thought it necessary to buy only one of the Narrator's Toolkits that came out for LUG Trek. In my youthful arrogance I thought that I wouldn't need that much advice on how to run a game in my favorite universe, and I thought it would suffice to have three Corebooks telling roughly the same, but not three NTs.

How wrong was I?!

I definately could need any help back in the day (and might still do) and now am curious as to what differences set the three guides apart.

I have - have I to tell - the TNG version of the toolkits.

I have the DS9 toolkit, only one I got, and I found it pretty useful at the time as it fleshed out some setting information and provided some GM guidance, but I'll let you in on a secret: Memory Alpha/Memory Beta. The wikis have all the setting information you will ever need. As for narrating advice you can get that from this site or other RPG sites. So as they are out of print I wouldn't worry about it and just focus on what you can get from the Internet.

As for the DS9 toolkit it provided a lot of information on the 'seedier' side of life from the series and fleshes out the more gritty aspects of Star Trek. I also provided narrating advice on using these elements as well as elements from DS9 episodes that commonly popped up. The section on Bajor had info on Bajor, Cardassians, and the Ferengi, as well as a little on the Maquis. Not a bad little book.

I own both of them and IMHO the DS9 Toolkit is way much better than the TNG one.
    The Narrating advice is basically the same but the adventure in TNG is just a copy of a TNG Episode where Riker gets the Power of a Q.

Both are useful on the advice. I look them up ocassionally.
    "Space may be the Final Frontier, but it's made in a Hollywood basement"

Red Hot Chili Peppers "Californication"

"per aspera ad astra"

Seneca

Yes, I pulled out my TNG copy out only yesterday and read it. It's nice and good to have.

I know my setting rahter well I'd say and still visit Memory Alpha/beta regularly when I run into problems.

I was just curious about the contents of the other two books.

The TOS toolkit is one of the best books for any RPG out there. Ten spot-on ways to make a Trek episode. It's even got a Trek-ized Forbidden Planet adventure in it.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    The TOS toolkit is one of the best books for any RPG out there. Ten spot-on ways to make a Trek episode. It's even got a Trek-ized Forbidden Planet adventure in it.
    And it is sooo unavailable in Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Cut View Post
    And it is sooo unavailable in Germany
    Tragic indeed! What about the rest of the TOS line?
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    Tragic indeed! What about the rest of the TOS line?
    Every now and then the ocasional TOS ICON book comes up in ebay.de.

ICON, even CODA books are really hard to come by here these days.

The TNG Toolkit is the only ICON product I don't have, aside from the minis...