I am cross posting here from Sarek's Lounge. I have been kicking around the idea of doing a political simulation focused on the Federation Council with the players running Councilors. Political simulations are a little different from traditional roleplaying campaigns as they are focused purely on debate and politics. Most of the big examples out there are ones focused on US of UK political institutions with people playing Senators/Representative or MPs. Personally, I find that a little boring.

I have run some small political simulations as duets (1 Narrator, 1 player) and small groups up to five, but really these work best with a decent number of people. How it would work is the players are Councilors and an issue is presented. The Councilors debate and wrangle and then try to decide on the issue. Their decisions influence the setting and may affect future issues. I was thinking of post-Dominion War around 2377.

As a background, I do know the law pretty well as I have a J.D. with a focus I guess on administrative law and public policy. I also have been GMing for awhile, including Star Trek since back in the FASA days. However, the goal with this simulation is to not delve into the minutiae that you find in most political simulations, but to hit Trek issues with big brush strokes like they do in the movies and series.

This thread has two points - to see if there are interested players (you need a decent number for political simulations to work and move at a a fast pace) and also to collect some suggestions for issues and opinions for how to set it up (i.e. how to empower the Councilors and all that). Though I would rather discuss any tricky political issues in Sarek's Lounge to keep from getting in trouble.