Thread: Can't make hands or tails of this...

Can't make hands or tails of this...

A friend of mine has just passed her final exams and now is a fully trained doctor (M.D.).

It seem,s that the time has come for her to say goodbye to her 'childhood'.
    She prepares to take on her first job, maybe in another city and rent her very first own flat (maybe with her friend) and she is checking what stuff to keep and what to leave behind or give away.

Now she has given me a basket full of old Trek and Star Wars novels (some used, some new) some misc Trek books (Quiz books and the like) some nice soundtrack CDs and finally her copy of the ICON TNG book, that she had once one in a magazin's competition.

Now I can't decide, should I be happy about the nice stuff, or should I feel sad for her, as it looks as she is leaving Trek behind, at least partially. I can surely use some of the stuff and will find a nice place for the rest. But it just feels strange.

Do you know what I am talking about or am I making completely no sense here?

Sounds like she completed medical school, rather than her internship and residency. Several friends of mine have been in the medical profession, and the years following medical school are some of the busiest in the life of a young doctor. Internship is the most grueling period, but residency is still a challenge.

It may be that she wants or needs to minimize the number of possessions she owns in order to make her forthcoming move a bit less of a chore, and decided that she would prefer her Trek stuff went to someone she knew was a fan and collector rather than gather dust on a bookstore shelf or end up in a rubbish bin.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

Probably just as RaconteurX said, she is preparing to be able to not have to much to lugging around while moving. Then some people do tend dividing up things in grown-up and youth stuff, and that they are not supposed to do something anymore as they have passed a certain age, etc.

Can be a lot of reasons. Why not ask her. tell her that you appreciate it, but wanted to make sure that she is sure. And if she isn't already lurking on the forums, point her this way, and you might have a way to keep her interest at least on a slow burn

Thanks, you guys.

I think that you both mentioned points that are true and right there. I emailed her, and asked for the reasons and might meat up with her next week. It comes in handy that her boyfriend is a good old friend of mine

She just parted with some stuff and it was like you said, didn't want to get it into bad hands.

It was just a bit strange for me that moment, as she had been the most interested in StarTrek of all of my friends, sometimes even more than me it seemed.

I might point her to this site, but then you'd have to move this thread to Sarek's lounge or so, not for her to see, Magnus

I have found a real treasure amongst her stuff. Not only the original soundtrack recording of Star Trek - The Motion Picture (which I didn't own yet!). That one is a real good one!

And there is the ICON LUGTrek book.

I couldn't find sleep yesterday, after having spend half the day working at my student's job and then continuing on my case I have to prepare for university. I went to the basket with her stuff and I picked up the LUGTrek TNG CoreBook.

I have to admit, that I had forgotten how good that book was. Wow. Shall have to take a look at my other LUGTrek material real soon Ah nostalgia...

I like LUG's TNG line most, because they really captured the spirit I think. The corebook, the player's guide and price of freedom are the perfect set to play Star Trek.
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

The ICON TNG book was my very first Star Trek RPG book ever! Over at the Order History of Amazon I see that that book, actually the first time I ever ordered from Amazon, will celebrate his 10th birthday this November.

It is hard to believe that it has been so long...

Yes, the rules and the game had a very good feel to them. It is a fine game. Even, maybe especially after all these years...

I knew someone going through his residency a few years back. His life basically consisted of being a resident and sleeping.

Wow I just realized that few years back is more like 10. Now I'm feeling old.

I kinda agree on the LUG Trek thing. It was just kinda fun, despite wonkiness with specializations and drama die. Some day I'll have to dust off those old books - I've not played them for ages but not had the heart to put them on ebay...
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

A few days ago I went to celebrate my friend's birthday. And guess what she had on her wish list as top priority item: The DVD box sets of the remastered TOS, the soundtrack CD of the new movie and the novel tie in of Star Trek

So it was just sharing good stuff with a friend back in January after all as it seems...