Thread: Geocities Shutting Down

Geocities Shutting Down

I was updating some images on my site the other day and there was a note saying that Yahoo! has decided to close geocities at the end of the year. Unfortunately that leaves my site SOL. If anyone knows of a good, low-maintenance, low-hassle, no file extension exclusion, no/few ad banners, free web host I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

You might want to check out FreeWebspace.net to find the free host for your needs.

I have a MySite.com that I play around with but they only give you 2 pages. Had a side bar like geocities with image ads, supposedly has pop ups but I have not seen them.

Looking at them (free hosts), I seem to like bravenet.com, but it does restrict file types to: .htm, .html, .shtml, .gif, .jpg, .png, .txt, .swf, .mid, .rmi, .au, .wav, .js, .css, .ico, .bmp, .class, .dcr

You might want to ask Capt. Lundgren to see if he would be willing to host it on the TrekRPGnet server. It was discussed earlier on after his takeover of the site but was effective tabled until we get the main site up and running.
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

You could also try this http://members.freewebs.com/

Thanks, gents, for pointing me in several good directions! I will definately look into them!

Webring is now giving people free webspace.
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

excellent! thanks!

I just started up my own free host, scificities.com. Gives you 250 MB, Automatic installer (29 scripts) and more. No ads right now; will stick with text ads mostly. If you ask nicely I can over ride the ads on your site.

That's fantastic! It's getting a little late here- actually early in the a.m.- but I will check your hosting first chance I get! And I don't mind the ads too much- they couldn't possibly be as obnoxious as geocities!

I went to webring and checked it out- it's okay, but uploading files one at a time is a little inconvenient. Also, the console interface left a little to be desired...

I appreciate all your help!

I just set up a page to help Geocities site web master to move their site over to SciFiCities.com. Hope this helps.

http://www.scificities.com/geocities.php

Any luck yet UFC465537?
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

Yes, actually. I've taken up spshu's kind offer. I've signed up, it's just a matter of uploading it now. I wanted to change a few things, first. I haven't really updated the site for quite some time, and this is a pretty good time to do that! I should get things up and running shortly.

I've gotten a lot of advice and offers from a lot a great people, so I'd like to take time now to thank all you guys! I appreciate everything!

I've made the switch!

http://ufc465537.scificities.com/

I created a redirect page at geocities to send all future traffic to scificities until it shuts down. The site itself is relatively unchanged- I did a little bit of housecleaning, but not much.

Thanks again spshu for all your help!

Joe

Cool!

Mighty Joe,

I'm glad to see you successfully made the switch!

You have good stuff. People need to enjoy it.

Thanks, Dave!
    It's been a long time since you've been around these parts- It's good to hear from you! I hope you have time to frequent more often!

Hi folks

Just a word for everybodies attention. I found this news item on the Ex Astris Scientia website:

"On a different note, old Geocities sites are being archived at Reocities. Just replace "g" with "r" in the URL. I have compiled a list. Thanks to Harry for the hint!"

So you may still be able to find sites you have/had bookmarked.
    Check out www.AllScaleTrek.com. A new forum dedicated to Star Trek kits, miniatures and collectables.

There's Klingons on the starboard bow!

Fool me once, shame on you! Fool me TWICE? INCOMING!