Thread: 3 questions about PG Errata & FAQ

3 questions about PG Errata & FAQ

1. On pg. 86 there is an example of using personal development and professional development skill blocks. The player takes Appraise +1 during personal development and then takes the Trader professional development package. The text reads that she "adds the +2 skill rank obtained through professional development to the +1 from personal development, for a total of Appraise +3". But the Trader package gives a +3 for Appraise and indicates that one must choose a specialty. So it should be Appraise +4 with a specialty selected, right?

2. The second question of the FAQ concerns the Starship Duty professional ability. The answer mentions something about "The first time Starship Duty is taken...Subsequent selections..." How and why would you ever take Starship Duty twice?

3. The errata entry for page 250 directly contradicts the FAQ answer about damage for an unarmed combat strike, which is also contradicted by the answer right below it. Am I missing something? Which one is correct?

Quote Originally Posted by quark12000 View Post
    1. On pg. 86 there is an example of using personal development and professional development skill blocks. The player takes Appraise +1 during personal development and then takes the Trader professional development package. The text reads that she "adds the +2 skill rank obtained through professional development to the +1 from personal development, for a total of Appraise +3". But the Trader package gives a +3 for Appraise and indicates that one must choose a specialty. So it should be Appraise +4 with a specialty selected, right?
    Yep. Got it in one.
    2. The second question of the FAQ concerns the Starship Duty professional ability. The answer mentions something about "The first time Starship Duty is taken...Subsequent selections..." How and why would you ever take Starship Duty twice?
    If you want to get into a particular Starship Officer Elite Profession and don't meet the prereqs, taking Starship Duty satisfies the prereqs for entry into that SOEP.
    3. The errata entry for page 250 directly contradicts the FAQ answer about damage for an unarmed combat strike, which is also contradicted by the answer right below it. Am I missing something? Which one is correct?
    I'll have to go look at that later. Right now, I'm overdue to read The Cat in the Hat to my 3-year-old for approximately the 900th time.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13 View Post
    If you want to get into a particular Starship Officer Elite Profession and don't meet the prereqs, taking Starship Duty satisfies the prereqs for entry into that SOEP.
    You mean if you're coming from some profession other than Starfleet Officer? Like Soldier? But to get access to the Starship Duty ability you'd need to take the generic Starfleet Officer profession first, correct? But you'd still only be taking Starship Duty once. Do you mean that the prereq's and 5 advancement picks are only waived if you take Starfleet Officer during the character's initial creation and if you decide to become a Starfleet Officer at a later date they are not?

You mean if you're coming from some profession other than Starfleet Officer? Like Soldier? But to get access to the Starship Duty ability you'd need to take the generic Starfleet Officer profession first, correct? But you'd still only be taking Starship Duty once. Do you mean that the prereq's and 5 advancement picks are only waived if you take Starfleet Officer during the character's initial creation and if you decide to become a Starfleet Officer at a later date they are not?

The Innovative Edge allows you to take professional Tier Abilities from outside your own profession.
    Crimson Hand Gamers...why have your own site when there's Facebook?

Quote Originally Posted by K.G. Carlson View Post
    The Innovative Edge allows you to take professional Tier Abilities from outside your own profession.
    According to the FAQ you cannot use the Innovative edge to take Starship Duty.

Well, obviously I haven't read the FAQ

And even if I had, I tend to regard those as "optional" rules, but I can see their point for Starship Duty. Thats a bit much to gain for a single Edge.
    Crimson Hand Gamers...why have your own site when there's Facebook?

Still waiting for that clarification on Unarmed Combat.

More like you're transferring from Security to Flight Control. You can't take Starship Duty with the Innovative Edge, so to use Starship Duty to take on a SOEP from the Soldier profession, you'd have to enter the Starship Officer profession first. It's generally easier to just meet the prerequisites for a SOEP when entering from a profession other than Starship Officer.

I guess I'm not seeing the problem or any contradiction. Could you please clarify your issue here?

Sure. Here's the errata concerning Unarmed Combat damage:

Page 250, second column, first paragraph. The last two sentences of this paragraph should read:
    “The attacker rolls damage equal to 1d6 plus his Strength modifier to determine the damage he inflicts. If the
    attack test resulted in an extraordinary success, the attacker inflicts maximum damage of 6 plus his Strength modifier.”

Here's the first FAQ question and answer:

Q: How much damage does an unarmed combat strike do?
    A: 1d6 + Strength modifier, +2 for a complete success, +4 for an extraordinary success (page 250).

This indicates that the book is correct, but it contradicts the errata.

Then here's the second FAQ question:

Q: On page 250, under Inflicting Damage, it says on an extraordinary success to use maximum damage. Does this
    include unarmed attacks?
    A: Yes, it does.

This agrees with the errata but contradicts the previous FAQ answer and the book. So which is correct?

I still see no contradictions. However, perhaps an example is in order. I am, after all, a long way removed from the writing of that FAQ, and I've got a three-week-old and a three-year-old, so I'm a little on the sleep-deprived side.

You take a mighty, hammerhanded blow at your enemy in the best tradition of James T. Kirk and the rest of Star Fleet's finest. You hit him. Congrats; it's time to deal some damage.

Normally, you deal 1d6 plus your Strength modifier (for purposes of this example, we'll say it's +1).

If you roll high enough to score a complete success, you'd roll 1d6 +1 (your Str mod) +2 (for the complete success), for a total of 1d6 +3.

If you roll a complete success, don't bother rolling the d6. You get max damage from that attack. You also get your Str mod, and you also get a +4 for rolling the complete success. In this example, you just did 11 points of damage.

Did that clear anything up, or did I just make it worse?

It makes sense, but it would make sense to mention the max damage thing in the first quoted FAQ entry. Or, uh, copy and paste what you just wrote into the FAQ : )
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13 View Post
    I still see no contradictions. However, perhaps an example is in order. I am, after all, a long way removed from the writing of that FAQ, and I've got a three-week-old and a three-year-old, so I'm a little on the sleep-deprived side.

You take a mighty, hammerhanded blow at your enemy in the best tradition of James T. Kirk and the rest of Star Fleet's finest. You hit him. Congrats; it's time to deal some damage.

Normally, you deal 1d6 plus your Strength modifier (for purposes of this example, we'll say it's +1).

If you roll high enough to score a complete success, you'd roll 1d6 +1 (your Str mod) +2 (for the complete success), for a total of 1d6 +3.

If you roll a complete success, don't bother rolling the d6. You get max damage from that attack. You also get your Str mod, and you also get a +4 for rolling the complete success. In this example, you just did 11 points of damage.

Did that clear anything up, or did I just make it worse?

If in this section you mean "extraordinary" rather than "complete" --

"If you roll a complete success, don't bother rolling the d6. You get max damage from that attack. You also get your Str mod, and you also get a +4 for rolling the complete success. In this example, you just did 11 points of damage."

-- yes, now I understand.

If in this section you mean "extraordinary" rather than "complete" --

"If you roll a complete success, don't bother rolling the d6. You get max damage from that attack. You also get your Str mod, and you also get a +4 for rolling the complete success. In this example, you just did 11 points of damage."

-- yes, now I understand.
    Yeah, that's what I meant. Like I said, I'm a little sleep-deprived....