Thread: Trek to his $300M mark soon

Trek to his $300M mark soon

found this on Trekmovie

Today’s domestic estimates of $191M combined with yesterday’s THR estimate of $87.5 overseas (as of Sunday), gives Trek a current estimated total global take of $278.5M.
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Wow, great news to hear how well the new trek movie is doing.

Anybody heard any sequel rumors? I have reservations about this movie, but I'd watch a sequel in the hope that it would be more Trek and less Pup Named Scooby Doo Aboard Battlestar Enterprise.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

According to the Wikipedia article about the movie, the actors have signed for a trilogy, so there could be two other movies ahead.

And I'm with you on this one, Sarge.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

In all likelihood, it'd be the same guys writing it.

Sigh.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post

Sigh.
    Even with that, I can't help wondering how they will follow up from this movie. Will they return to old Trek classics enemies or keep diverging and invent a new species to clash with Kirk and co ? And will the story focus once again on Spock and Kirk growing friendship or take it from granted ? Will Spock-Nimoy still be around (and trying to adapt to his world)?
    There are lots of material for good plots here (there are of course material for abysmally bad plots as well - such as a movie centered on Kirk trying to pry Uhura from Spock and Spock discovering jealousy, all the while fighting the mile-long battleship Botany Bay and her genetically engineered crew ).
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post

Sigh.
    That would be the one thing that would kill my interest in the sequels.

As much as I didn't care for XI, in a discussion with some friends over the holiday weekend I recalled that my previously "least favorite Trek movie" was the Motion Picture. Then I subtracted 10 and figured "hey, maybe this 2.2 hours of random events is the 'Motion Picture' for a new generation. That means the next Trek movie will be the 'Wrath of Khan' for a new generation. Sweet!"

But the same writers? Fool me once shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.
    Crimson Hand Gamers...why have your own site when there's Facebook?

Considering that the new team running Star Trek don't really care about the fans who were unhappy with the movie I don't see why they would try to make it more like Star Trek with the sequel. The only advantage to the sequel is that they have the origin story out of the way, but I think what we got with XI is what we will get with XII and XIII.

The good news is that Paramount will then reboot it under a new director who will create another alternate reality that will be even further removed, i.e. Star Trek Version 3.0. Star Trek 2.0 is the Star Wars version so I suspect Version 3.0 will be the Harry Potter Version, it goes back to the Academy with Kirk as a cadet solving mysteries and facing off against an evil psychic - maybe toss in a magic ring that has to be thrown in the warp core where it was created and you have a guaranteed hit!

Couldn't you have waited a couple of days to smash my dreams?

What else have these writers done? Is there any hope that, now that a convoluted not-reboot is out of the way they're capable of producing an actual story, with like, a plot and stuff?
    Crimson Hand Gamers...why have your own site when there's Facebook?

They did Transformers and the upcoming Transformers sequel I believe, I never got around to watching Transformers so I have no opinion, however, I imagine the Transformers sequel will give you an idea how they approach sequels and give you some ideas for how they will do Trek XII.

WOO cool, so the new writers don't care about the fans, maybe it'll mean we get a decent film, instead of what we get BECAUSE they pander to the fans!

The flip side, for those who hope it will die and go away, I believe it's standard in Holywood now for people to sign up for at least 3 movies, contractually, so it doesn't mean there WILL be 3, just that the trilogy is the model they like to hold too (I.e. Starwars, Spiderman, LOTR, Back to the Future etc) in recent years.

You may now resume your new-film-hating
    Ta Muchly

Quote Originally Posted by Tobian View Post
    WOO cool, so the new writers don't care about the fans, maybe it'll mean we get a decent film, instead of what we get BECAUSE they pander to the fans!
    You do realize they did pander to some fans just not all of them. The movie was formulaic and was intended to pander to certain groups, almost all movies do that to be fair, like Twilight for example. In this regards, the new Trek movie did very well.

As for an additional two movies, I can guarantee there will be two more movies. XI will probably hit $300 million and thus there is guaranteed to be a sequel, which will do well regardless and generate the final in the trilogy. The bigger question is whether the franchise goes beyond that?

My thought is that the Trek franchise is in new waters now, it is more like James Bond or Batman in structure. Kirk/Spock is now the heart of Star Trek. The franchise will just involve reinventing those characters with new adventures. After the trilogy you will have a lot of the cast switched out if the franchise continues to keep it moving forward. When things lag you switch out Kirk or Spock for someone with a new take on the characters. It is a more sustainable model for the franchise, but I think it loses something in the process.

Hey I've offered to write a sequel but no one will take me up on it.

Of course I also offered to be Obama's Supreme Court Nominee. Imagine my disappointment when I didn't get the call...
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel