Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Future of Trek 2.0 universe (spoilers?)

[QUOTE=Tobian;173425]
    I am thinking myself the new film will be about the Klingons, and it may be more akin to the old sneaking kaniving Klingons of the early films and TOS than the Japanese Klingons of TNG. But that's just a guess.
    [QUOTE]

That was another thing I had been wondering: go with the TOS Klingons, or the "space viking/biker dude" klingons?

For some reason, I almost want them to either "reimagine" the Klingons, or use the "crafty klingons".

I suspect they will, as this reboot does seem to be going back to the core of TOS not TNG, so that means back to the crafty Klingons
    Ta Muchly

I figure the Klingons (perhaps in a crafty fashion?) will go after the Romulans considering "they" were responsible for the loss of 47 ships. Even if they were from the future, the Klingons will figure they're protecting themselves by wiping out Romulus.
    "Bad thinking is punishable. Good thinking is quickly and easily rewarded."

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Stack View Post
    Well looking at the sequel... I'm suspecting they'll follow the Batman Begins/Dark Knight Model. The first film reintroduced the franchise. The second one has the iconic baddie. For Batman that was the Joker.

I'm guessing for the next Trek that means we can expect to see Sybok and maybe V'Ger...

OK, maybe not them. I would bet we are looking at Khan. You really want someone that casual fans can quickly latch onto. Of course adding Khan could play havoc with continuity. There is no way he's a world leader in the 1990s in any sequel film. I wonder if they'd go with an Indian-American actor to play him.

If not Khan I'd bet on either the Borg or some major Klingon conflict. The problem with the Klingons is you'd need a face and I don't think any individual Klingon, aside from Worf, immediately stiands out in public perception.
    Considering that Bollywood has caught the attention of Hollywood (Slumdog Millionaire), i wouldn't be surprised if they tried to recruit a Bollywood actor, like that one guy slumdog kids worshipped -Amitabha or something or Shahru khan.
    Star Trek Character Builder

Plasma Bolt!! Plasma Bolt!!

You know if they brought in Shah Ruhk Kahn to play a villain and added in a Bollywood dance number or two I would be the first in line on opening day for Star Trek XII.

Seriously, either SRK or Amitabh Bachchan would strengthen Star Trek's international appeal, not only in India, but in many places were Bollywood is popular like Africa and other parts of Asia. Star Trek hasn't really been doing that well internationally, which is probably not that surprising considering the movie and all. Plus either of them could do a better job than Eric Bana, who at least has set the bar phenomenally low for subsequent Star Trek villains.

This does raise up a point - I doubt they would do Kahn as a villain and it would come across nowadays as just a 9/11 inspired story arc (evil Muslim terrorist, etc.), and might not be the best approach in the current environment and also seem very hackneyed. The level of sophistication in the script that would be needed to make this work is probably not within the reach of Abrams and crew.

Actually, Having Khan much like the Eugenics Wars Novel, come to power as a result of a terrorist attack in India (his being the head of a nationalistic front) would go over much better
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Khan wasn't a Muslim, he was a Sikh, played by a Mexican Catholic... And let's face it, the only people in a position to do eugenics engineering in the '50's, when Khan was probably engineered/born, were renegade Nazis, who had no love for Muslims.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E Oulton View Post
    Khan wasn't a Muslim, he was a Sikh, played by a Mexican Catholic... And let's face it, the only people in a position to do eugenics engineering in the '50's, when Khan was probably engineered/born, were renegade Nazis, who had no love for Muslims.
    Liiiiittle more complicated than that...

N.B. citation neededs all over, esp. in the Skorzeny-Nasser connection. The point, though, is that Cold War co-belligerencies can be pretty bizarre.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

here is a thought , what if Nero talked with the Romulains during the 20 to 25 yrs before blowing up vulcan . He clues them on new tech , and the super nova coming in a 200 yrs .