Thread: Star Trek Worlds

Star Trek Worlds

Ok, so I'm reading the preview of Star Trek Worlds, and I love the new expanded system creation tools, but I noticed that when deciding your type of Star, there are two Class K Main Sequence Star, a KO V, and a K5 V. Did I miss something, or is this just a decision? The only reason I ask is bacause everything seems to feed on the next step, and I would hate to miss a step.

Hi there

You didn't miss anything. Narrator's Guide and Worlds do not provide a table for generating the brightness of the star, though Narrator's tells us that the brightness ranges from 0 to 9, and that (for example) a K0 is brighter than a K5. When using the tables, you'll have to choose (or flip a coin, dice, etc) whether to go with a K0 or K5. I searched the internet a bit to find out how often stars have a given brightness, but I came up empty - astronomers out there may help us.

And while we're on the subject, I am almost done with a World Generator program that uses the Worlds book (and Narrator's) to generate a star system, its worlds and their moons with a couple of button clicks. I should have the first beta ready by the end of the week.

Cheers, Leo
    Trust me...there's no word for 'crisp' on Ferenginar

I look forward to trying it out! it seems to me you spend about 30-45 minutes per system to make 1 or two interesting worlds...
    "Bad thinking is punishable. Good thinking is quickly and easily rewarded."

Wow, I can't wait to see that program. It took me over 12 hours (off and on), to make my first system, and it only had 5 planets.

Thanks for your post, that helps a lot.

Ooh, looking forward to that.

Yep, it takes a while, though I enjoyed rolling up a system or two as well. But I want to be able to crank out systems more quickly when needed. Am just getting some bugs out of the program, and I will have the first version shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by Gispert View Post
    Wow, I can't wait to see that program. It took me over 12 hours (off and on), to make my first system, and it only had 5 planets.

Thanks for your post, that helps a lot.

Star System Generator 1.0

Ok, I am releasing version 1.0. It has a few quirks, but it is usable, and it is a quick way to crank out star systems - also good for when a crew is cruising along through space and wants to know some detail about nearby systems. Here's the link to it - I'll also send a note to Patrick Goodman to see if he wants to put it on his site. Be sure to check out the readme.

http://sites.google.com/site/rpgaloo...file-downloads

Thumbs up

I love you, thanks so much. I have been toying with it, and I love it. I can create a system in a matter of sec. ratheir then the hours that it took before,

life

That's great - I'm glad you find it to be useful. For the next verision, I am going to add a 'let there be life' checkbox that guarantees a system with a type L or M planet (or L moon) for Narrators who need a system where something can live. (or already does ) As it is now, you often have to try many times before you get a type L or M.