Thread: VHS LOTR vs. DVD?

Question VHS LOTR vs. DVD?

I picked up the LOTR trilogy on VHS a few years back when it was marked down at Zellers. Is it worth it to upgrade to the DVD version? Is there that much extra footage?

I can't say for all the extended footage, but it does have the Mouth of Sauron in it.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

The extended version of Fellowship of the Ring is 20 minutes longer than the movie version. The other two is 30-45 minutes longer each.

I rarely like extended versions, because the scenes are things that should have been cut out. But with LotR it was planned for it from the beginning, so it does fit in with the rest. One of the scenes in the first movie is just the hobbits spotting a bunch of elves walking towards the harbours. In the second movie, if I recall correctly, where Deagol and Smeagol finds the ring is only in the extended material.

Then, if you like to watch the extras, it is not much of a question. Two discs with interviews, photos, etc, per movie...

That each movie is split over two discs actually can be a bonus at times, watching it as a mini series over several days, instead of all in one marathon session as I have done on occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E Oulton View Post
    I picked up the LOTR trilogy on VHS a few years back when it was marked down at Zellers. Is it worth it to upgrade to the DVD version? Is there that much extra footage?
    I dunno. I haven't bought a VHS cassette since I got my first DVD player.

I honestly don't know if they even offered the Extended Edition of the films in VHS format. If so, then there must not be a lot of extras that a set of compact DVDs could offer.

If I were you, don't just trade up to DVD but get Blu-Ray discs instead (which requires a Blu-Ray player).
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer