Thread: Multiple Warhead missiles New Star Trek Movie

Multiple Warhead missiles New Star Trek Movie

In the new Star Trek movie they had multiple warhead torpedoes that separated before impacting the Enterprise. Even in the first few minutes of the film the Kelvin was hit with three to five Photon torpedoes that separated into multiple projectiles. I counted five separated projectile.

Here is what I came up with.

Multiple Warhead missiles
    SU’s Cost: Requires advaced launcher with Plus two SU’s per torpedo launch capable.
    Power Cost: 20 + (10 per torpedo fired)

These weapons are warheads that break apart and will strike mulptal points on a target. These advanced weapons can inflict damage to key componets across the ship. A Multiple warhead separates into five projectiles dividing the damage into five different points of impact. This can be applied to Nuclear Rockets

Photon Torpedoes
    Type - Standard Damage - Multiple points Damage per hit
    Type I - 180 - 36
    Type II - 200 - 40
    Type III - 230 - 46
    Type VI - 500 - 100
    Type VII - 350 - 70
    Type VIII - 300 - 60
    Type IX - 250 - 50
    Type X - 400 - 80

Quantum Torpedoes
    Mark I - 400 - 80
    Mark II - 450 - 90
    Mark III - 500 - 100
    Mark IV - 600 - 120
    Mark V - 800 - 160

Nuclear Rockets
    Mark I - 120 - 24
    Mark II - 135 - 27
    Mark III - 150 - 30

Let me know of revisions that you come up with.

I think Multiple Warheads is technically covered under the torpedo spread rules, especially if you take into account the first two seasons of TNG when they launched torpedoes a single object left the launcher only to break up into 8 objects shortly after passing the front of the saucer section.
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

Are you talking about a 24th century version of a cluster bomb in missile form?

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Something to that effect but they are independently propelled.

Well, here's the thing, the damage is not done so much by the speed of the weapon but by the amount of anti-matter is carried by the projectile. The smaller projectiles would be more akin then to the micro torpedoes in a runabout if anything.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Good, but maybe a tweak?

I'd argue that the smaller warheads would total less damage than the larger warhead. The larger warhead has its own sensor system, but when it separates, the smaller munitions need their own seeker, maneuvering, and detonation systems to make sure they work properly. This would cut into the available damage fairly rapidly. The advantage of being able to hit multiple areas is countered by the lower damage being done.

Now I just need to figure out the proper method to determine the damage of the smaller munitions, without making them useless. Squaring the number of submunitions, to make that the divisor would make them less effective, but it might make them too weak. (I.e. 5 submuniions means you divide the base damage by 25, so a 400-pt warhead carries five 16-pt submunitions).

Maybe 2n-1 as the divisor would work, and round down. So if you only have one munition (the main warhead), the damage is the same. Two warheads means you divide the damage by 3; 3 warheads means you divide it by 5, aso. For five warheads you would divide by 9, so a 200-pt warhead would carry five smaller warheads, each capable of doing 22 pts of damage.