Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NPC Statblocks & Specialties?

NPC Statblocks & Specialties?

Hi all. I'm glad I found you all. I've done a bit of RPGing over the years and just now bought the LOTR RPG core book from a deal that was too good to pass up ($4 new book + $4 shipping). I actually started out on MERP, so Tolkien's setting has a special place in my heart. Moved from there to GURPS and then to D20 (which I still do quite a bit of).

Anyway, that said. I'm familiar with RPGs but not so familiar with this system. I'm sure I'll have many questions.

My current question is when I see a statblock for an NPC or creature for a skill like Armed Combat (Longsword) +6, does the +6 already have the +2 speciaty bonus for Longsword added in? I've been assuming no, and since I didn't see it on the FAQ, decided I'd ask.

Well welcome to the boards and to CODA!

To answer your question, no, the stat blocks are the base skill level that the PC is currently at - the number does not contain any modifiers or bonuses from Attributes, Edges, Abilities, Weapon bonuses, or the specialty bonus.

I recommend that if you are going to be using a NPC or creature stat a lot during your adventure, or before a combat, write up a quick stat block for that session. You don't need to include all the skills that may not play into the scene (i.e. Language, Lore, Persuade, or whatever), but have the key skills written out with all modifiers that will apply. CODA is, in my opinion, a great system, but it can get cumbersome with all the mods.

Thanks. I appreciate the response. I've been downloading the Hall of Fire webzines. Those are great! Keep it up Hall of Fire Folk!

Anyway, would love to join someone's game if anyone is running a PbBB or PbEM game and they have openings. (Though I like PbBB because others can follow along the storyline.)

I have a CODA: LOTR PbP game going. Our story started in 2003 and we have been going strong since.

You will find my site at: http://rpg.avioc.org

Come over and sign up. Read through the story and see if it is of interest and if so, give me a PC idea and I will see if I can work it into the game. I have two stories going so tell me which might be of interest.

I also have online character sheets and dice roller available for all online play, which is great for allowing players to play wherever you and a computer might be.

Thanks Tomcat. I'm currently reading sequentially through the Moria one (with Kori, Nori etc). Sounds fun. I'd probably like to join that one. How far along is that one? I just finished reading about the gar's troll hole. Sounds like you have a good mix there and a well established party. Would my joining make it too big and unwieldy?

Wow... you guys are way Tolkien gurus and very good writers. My knowledge is pretty much limited to the trilogy that I read when a teenage several years ago and once more before the movies came out--again now a few years ago. So my tolkien lore certainly can't compare.

As to what sort of character to play, I'm not entirely sure. I thought maybe a female character? Maybe a ranger/healer type (elf or human maybe that studied in Elrond's house of healing maybe). That'd be an interesting mix I think. Do you have recommendations?

A ranger/healer is fine, although the CODA system really doesn't define a healer, and a ranger is an elite class. Still, by choosing lores and First Aid, and any appropriate edges, you can definitely create a PC that is strong in the arts of healing.

I have never been one to have a character just 'pop' into a story, but I will make an exception here. Two of the players have gone MIA and I need to bolster the party's numbers a bit.

Just so you know, though, I believe Turumarth is heavy in the healing arts, too. The Company would do well to have either a roguish/thief type or another strong mage.

I will send you my house rules on character creation.

Lastly, thanks for the nice comments about the game... to be honest, I think it has been some of my weakest writing, as a lot of stuff has come up in real life during this campaign. But, it is my goal to keep it going and make it fun so welcome aboard!

Get me your character ideas and we'll talk some more.

Welcome!

Here are some guidelines on PC creation and I want you to use my online character sheet profiler:

http://rpg.avioc.org/profiles/

You will need to create a login there as well... because my boards' administration does not link to it yet. Of course, you can use the same login and password for both sites.

About me and my games... I am a lover of Tolkien and his books and try to maintain a consistancy with canon, but I will go beyond canon to fill the holes that the professor left and there are times when I will use other resources to patch (i.e. the MERP/ICE regional books, etc). I tell you this because I want to make sure you don't mind playing in a game that may take assumptions of what was going on 'elsewhere' within the Tolkien history. I had another player in my Star Trek game that was a canonite of that genre and was inflexible to ideas that weren't part of what was seen on TV, in the movies, or read in the novels... and so we had to separate ways.

Second, regarding rules. I am a flexible narrator to rules and to sometimes needing them changed - meaning I am no rules lawyer. I always like ideas.

Now to character generation rules...

1. I want everyone to use the Pick Method for attributes.
    2. You may take 1 Edge during Racial picks; taking a Flaw will allow another pick, which may be another Edge.
    3. You may take 1 Edge during Order picks; taking a Flaw will allow another pick, which may be another Edge. (Thus the maximum starting Edges would be 4 (with 2 Flaws)
    4. The six initial racial skill picks tag those skills as racial for advancement purposes.
    5. The first specialty in a skill is free (racial or order picks); second or more specialties cost.
    6. Each character may start with 1d6+6 SP for buying starting equipment.
    7. Lastly, I want the step-by-step creation notes on character's generation, so if you can get me that too.

Give me a character concept here - background, name, profession - but use the RPG Profiler to store your PC's stats.

The RPG Profiler is part of my site, but it does require you to create a separate login. Once you sign in, click the create character link and choose the CODA: LOTR sheet. Once you have the character's ID number, send it to me and I will invite the PC to the campaign. You will then click on the EDIT link next to the character's name and choose the Allow Public Viewing and accept the Invite to the Campaign.

You will also find our dice roller, link to the profiler, and maps at the top of my roleplaying forums. The dice roller does not log every roll and so we are on the honor system here, which I prefer. If players take advantage, the only thing they are spoiling is the excitement of the game... and I will also begin to see that they never fail.

Needless to say, you open the dice roller, make your roll and then copy and paste from the results window to your post. I don't care how you format it (you'll find I dress mine up a bit), but I request that you include the reason for the test, the TN (if you know it), and a listing of all the modifiers effecting the roll.

Again, welcome and I look forward to your contributions.

Thanks for the info.
    Ok since you need a rogue I decided to go with a female elf from Lorien with a Rogue as her order. Although think more along the lines of a "scout" than a typical thieving "rogue".

Since Lorien is nearby, it should make it easier to add me in. I'm thinking maybe I was sent out to scout out what the party was doing and was either 1) waylaid by orcs who took me into Moria and then I get rescued and join the party that way or 2) I'm sooo good and sneaking that I track and follow them into Moria (since they're just barely in that seems realistic). I'm shooting for option 2, but you can come up with something completely diff if you like.

Bottom line she's part of the perimeter defense of Lorien and is primarily a scout for the military there. Of course there's all the personal character details I'll need to come up with.

Hope this helps. I'll provide more details as I have them.

I sent you an email Tomcat with my char info etc. Thanks.

Tomcat may i join as well?

I have no problem if you join my games... what game in particular were you looking to get in to?

I am great fan of LOTR and i have been happy when i discovered LOTR CODA system. i would like to play human magician

Well post on this board, or on my boards (via a PM), what your ideas are. You will need to register over on my boards.

I have two LotR games going:

1) Chronicles of the North that is about 6 years old in its length and is set in Arthedain, winter of 1637 T.A.

3) What Once Was which is an expedition into Moria and is set around 100 years before Bilbo (I think... will have to look back on my notes re: the date). This game will be somewhat difficult to bring in a new PC, as the characters are well into Moria, but if it is the game of choice, I will see what I can do.

Otherwise, the first game might work because I have another new PC about to begin (Zehwaters Elf) and maybe I could pair the two of you up.

Anyway, those are the eras so give me some more character creation ideas.

I would rather choose the 1th option.
    I have already registred on your side. And i hope it wouldnt be problem because English is not my native language

i have a question:
    in your world for casting spells one needs willpower test against TN and then another stamina test or this stamina test isnt necessary?