Thread: Google Wave for Online Gaming

Google Wave for Online Gaming

I am interested in using Google Wave for playing Star Trek (specifically ICON Trek) online. I don't presently have a Wave account (so, if anyone has an invite, I'd be grateful), but I do know a couple of people who are using it. They have suggested to me that it may very well revolutionize the way we play pencil & paper RPGs online, particularly if some enterprising programmer can create a Wave gadget for rolling dice.

Anyway, given that many of us have played RPGs online, I was trying to elicit opinions on what you - [those of you know about Google Wave] - think about it as a basis for online games.

mactavish out.

P.S. If you have an invite, I'd really appreciate having it thrown my way.
    Our country's past progress has been the result, not of the mass mind applying average intelligence to the problems of the day, but of the brilliance and dedication of wise individuals who applied their wisdom to advance the freedom and the material well-being of all of our people.

-Conscience of a Conservative, Barry Goldwater

Plenty of people have already created dice-roller apps for Wave, largely independent of one another.

What Wave does is essentially merge aspects of play-by-chat and play-by-post gaming, with elements of the ease with which a wiki can be edited.

I'll check to see whether I have any invites, and will PM you with one should that be the case.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

I just signed up and we are looking at this as an idea now. I dont seem to have any invites yet (unless I am missing something)...
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

New enrollees don't get invites right away.

When you get one, however, I'd love to be invited so that I can actually play ICON Trek again (especially with some of the old timers from here!).

mactavish out.
    Our country's past progress has been the result, not of the mass mind applying average intelligence to the problems of the day, but of the brilliance and dedication of wise individuals who applied their wisdom to advance the freedom and the material well-being of all of our people.

-Conscience of a Conservative, Barry Goldwater

This sounds really cool. I haven't really played a lot of ICON due to a lack of gamers, so if people are thinking of setting up such a game I would like to participate if there is room and find out how such an online way of tabletop rpg works.

I worked for Section 31 and all I got was this stupid T-shirt!
    I'll have the guy who invited me, fire you an invite if he has any left.

Just got a Wave account a few days ago, and I have to agree - this looks like a promising platform for PBEM (PBGW?) RPGs.

As a hybrid chat/pbp engine, I think it has immense potential. I don't have enough people on my contact list to do much right now (and no, I don't have any invites : P), but I'll hopefully be doing a test run with some CODA stuff soon.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Was anyone else using Google Wave for PBEM? I've been on a PBEM campaign for the last year on it, and it has worked tremendously well. Unfortunately, Google will stop supporting wave at the end of the year, so I'm going to have to download everything we've posted there so far.

The main page says you don't need an invite.

http://wave.google.com/about.html

Yeah, but it won't do you much good if they completely pull the plug on the site at the end of the year...

http://googlewave.blogspot.com/

On the other hand, if they just stop supporting it, but leave it up as-is, that would be fine with me.

(I'll still need to find an easy way to archive everything, though.)