Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Khan?

New Khan?

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=60995

I think this is a better comparison pic, though...

I think it could work. Plus, BatManuel!

Discuss...
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Hmm, for a franchise that is fresh, new and invigorating there sure doesn't seem to be much...originality.

It takes more than different actors playing the same character to be bold and new. Even for those of you who enjoyed the reboot, at what point does the Abramsverse become a complete joke? For some reason an old Def Leppard song comes to mind.

Its better to burn out, than fade away...
    Crimson Hand Gamers...why have your own site when there's Facebook?

But how would that come about, there is no original meeting during a five year exploration mission in order to create a wound that was allowed to fester and grow in order to create a character that was central to an awe inspiring movie.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

I just watched Star Trek last night again and am still loving it. It makes sence to go back and do Khan again, especially if you are eyeing starting a new TV series soon, after the sucessess of Lost, V, and the others Parmount has got to be considering that. The movie was all about reusing whats there (I caught a reference to a Admiral Archer pet beagle . . . I wonder ) I guess the the old guard will be split on this.
    Its me Eric R.

Quote Originally Posted by JALU3 View Post
    But how would that come about, there is no original meeting during a five year exploration mission in order to create a wound that was allowed to fester and grow in order to create a character that was central to an awe inspiring movie.
    That's easy to fix: make it a time travel movie! Cuz everybody loves it when ST does time travel in the movies, and they haven't done it nearly often enough.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    That's easy to fix: make it a time travel movie! Cuz everybody loves it when ST does time travel in the movies, and they haven't done it nearly often enough.
    So what Khan, knowing he's doomed in the his past, instead in an alternative turn of events takes the Reliant, does the slingshot manuever around a star, and ends up in the new alternative reality, to take the Reliant to kick the new movie enterprise's butt around the screen, leading to his yet again eventual demise?

"The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Sure, why not? That makes at least as much sense as the last movie's plot.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Sure, why not? That makes at least as much sense as the last movie's plot.
    I guess you're right. And since it's the alternate future, those events wont impact the present timeline, and mysteriously in some weird twist of fate, during the sling shot maneuver an exact duplicate of the Reliant, including Chekov and the rest, failed the maneuver leaving a copy to continue with the original timeline to do battle with the original enterprise to the demise that we saw for them at the end of Star Trek II. And of course Terrell and Chekov have no recollection of the attempted maneuver due to the duplicating process.

Wow. The venom as regards the new movie is, to me, surprising... Didn't seem that bad when the movie came out. Or maybe I missed it...

I could see the movie being the new version of "Space Seed," but I wonder if I'm the only one...
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Don't get me wrong, Doug, the movie was enough fun that I saw it twice. But if you think the plot through, well, it just doesn't hold together. I'm still hoping that the next movie will be "real Star Trek", but it's more forlorn hope than honest expectation.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

DB, I wouldn't call it venom. I'd call it disappointment. Don't get me wrong, it was a fun movie, and it was good for what it is. But if you were to look at it within the overall scope that is trek, from the lowest lows of slash fiction (shutters at the thought) to the highest highs of the likes of All Good Things and Pale Moonlight, the movie itself wouldn't make the top 25 episodes/movies of Star Trek. Furthermore, although it had the exterior of trek. After reflecting back on it, I feel that I was more into the fact that there was new trek content out there, rather then it itself being top notch quality trek that we all enjoy (and lets face it we've had a lot of bad trek over the years) (not that this is bad, it just wasn't top notch).

Furthermore, they have a new timeline to explore. I can understand that they can go back to the well and take more classic bits and attempt to recycle them in the new Trek glossy movie explosion young hip feel, but I don't think that's necessary. It should, and I believe can, stand on its own, with new content that explores the characters (since there are significant differences between the original trek characters and the new Trek characters who happen to share the name with the originals), their motivations, their goals, and their explorations and efforts to defend the federation in their story line.

If they were really to go back to the well, what they should be doing is showing us how the introduction of original Spock with late 24th century tech has on their timeline, and how it effects their decisions on how they go out to explore the galaxy and expand the federation. Theoretically they will know of the Dominion, the Borg, the Cardassians, and multiple other threas. They will know of the multitude of species unknown to them, stars and systems unexplored by them, and all the possibilities that has to the Federation and Starfleet. There is so much that can be made of this thread of story, that if they follow it it'll impact everything else they do in that timeline.

Doing Khan again, what for? I have to admit that I myself am not much of a fan of either ST II or Khan, but still is was one of the most successful movies. Why do it again? Is there not creativity left to actually do something new? Half of the last movie was stolen anyway, either of BSG or Star Wars (admitted by Abrahams) and the whole idea was to reboot the franchise, to do something new, which was said to be impossible with another TNG movie. Redoing Khan is not new though and Orci and Kurtzman, the "scriptwriters" (have yet to see a script of the two, which is good or at least not a complete net of plotholes), are simply not up to the task to write a compelling story that can match one of the classics.
    If I want to see Khan I watch ST II, no need to make an another movie with him again, imho.
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

No Khan in the new film please. We really need something else for the Mix...and Please no TNG races like th Borg, Ferengi or other nonsense.

We truely need something whichwill Invigorate the series.

Trite crud about transhuman engineering is not one of them
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Yeah I have to say I really hate the idea of a new Khan. Has to be said, we also have Spock Prime who has 250 odd years of such experience and may well tell them some of that stuff.... to avoid!

I really want to see all new material. Sure, have established races in the films (just hopefully they won't blow up a home-world per film haha) But I think the last thing they want to do is rehash everything all over again.. it's one of the worst parts of Trek!
    Ta Muchly

The key element here is of course 24th Century Spock. Who knows all about what happened and might not have enjoyed his lingering painful death at the end of Wrath of Khan.

Imagine the new scene. The Enterprise comes across the SS Botany Bay, and having been warned of the danger of Khan Spock might actually 'slip' and accidentally launch a volley of torpedoes when ordered to scan the ship.

"Sorry captain. That wont happen again..."

...Well, at least until he has to check to see if Valeris managed to escape Vulcan anyway and move on to the next item on his check-list...
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)