Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Human Colony Variations...

Human Colony Variations...

I am bored with the bog-standard human template in ICON.

I had a thought regarding a nice option that might help provide a little variation...

Human Colonists.

For example. Mars/Moon Colonists might be a bit tougher/engineer, but less social (living in those domes)

Cestus III colonists might also be a bit tougher due to high gravity and have a closer tie to their Gorn neighbours...

Its just a thought at the moment, with no actual rules available to me (at work) to develop any further, but what do you guys think? What other human colonies might be worth looking at?
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

I worked for Section 31 and all I got was this stupid T-shirt!
    Transhuman Trek

Take Trek, smash in some Richard Morgan, Iain M. Banks and Peter Hamilton...and you have some good times.

I think this is a good idea, I always thought the fear of the Eugenics Wars was a bit excessive.

Well, we do know that Alpha Centauri is a Human colony, confirmed in Enterprise, so there's a good starting point... Why would Moon or Mars colonists be tougher, given that they live in an artificial environment, and one would think that living in crowded conditions would make them MORE social...

And with the reduction in gravity, slightly lacking in the stamina department.
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

And of course its that sort of butting heads to get ideas that was the point of the thread.

My thinking was that perhaps as terraformers/engineer communities, even within the 'soft' Sol system they might be made of sterner stuff... Gravity is a moot point really in Trek, as we rarely see people floating round starships due to artificial gravity...

I suspect that when I meant 'less social' I was thinking more as a seperate mindset to the homeworld, maybe arrogant, thinking that they are made of tougher stuff would be better.

OK, so Enterprise has established Alpha centauri as an Earth Colony, but LUG had them as a seperate species. I hadn't updated that, mostly because I was having difficulty following Enterprise by that point (didn't have cable, and kept shifting around the schedules on UK Terrestial TV, before stopping before the end of it run... erm, like Voyager did)
    DanG/Darth Gurden

I found these links as a starting point;
    http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Federation_colonies
    http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Fede...the_Federation

Now what I am thinking is simply an update to the human template, either as a remove X and add X type of thing, alteration to the Advantages/Disadvantages or just an add on taht rounds itself out with matching positives and negatives...
    DanG/Darth Gurden

I worked for Section 31 and all I got was this stupid T-shirt!
    Would not that type of modification be best done at character creation? What you are describing is not that a significant deviation from the standard template.

However, if it would be done, it maybe addressed as an early life package? That way it could be applied to more than just the human templates.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian K View Post
    Would not that type of modification be best done at character creation? What you are describing is not that a significant deviation from the standard template.

yes indeedy... Thats why I suggested it as an update to the human template...

Think of it like the different Andorian Clans or the Betelgeusian sects. Sure it could be easily managed with standard character generation, I was just bored of the standard human template I suppose and wanted to add an optional variety.
    DanG/Darth Gurden

Well, how significant would their cultural history be from that of the standard Earth/Terran Human? That is the first question I would think that would come to mind. Would it be the same level as different historical points of view of the same timeline for the people from different nation-states, or even different sub-national political areas for that matter. Would there be significantly different early development (up to the age of majority) that would warrant their own species template, or failing that, early development template?

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

So would this stack with or replace the colony-based childhood development packages?
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Fair point. Well made.
    DanG/Darth Gurden

I would think that at most this idea suffices different childhood development packages, as physically a Eath/Terran Human is the same as one born off-world. Their childhoods though would be what makes them different. Say someone was born on a space station, their experiences and skills learned in childhood would be different then someone who grew up in the Canadian Rockies, or Sub-Saharan Africa. For instance, how many children in New Zealand, have to learn as an important life skill the ability to put on an emergency environmental suit in case of sudden atmospheric decompression?

"The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

EDIT: SORRY, these are for Coda Star Trek -- that's what I get for not reading too closely..... JKP

Here are some variant Human colonists I created for a current campaign, feel free to use as you see fit. For this particular campaign, I have excised the plethora of "humans with weird noses or ears" that proliferate through Star Trek; anyone who looks vaguely Human is Human for the campaign, hence the reason that I included people from Izar, Eminiar, or Alpha Centauri as Human, along with the ret-conning of Eminiar's history. (It is also heavily influenced by FASA, hence the Botchok reference in the Rigel system.) I included a brief description of each people as well.

Note -- these are groups from well-established Earth colonies (and, in one instance, a Vulcan colony.) Therefore, I assumed that they wouldn't take Colonial Upbringing, which I thought should be limited to those that are from a first-generation frontier colony. These places listed below are colonies of Earth in the sense that Australia, circa 1910, was a 'colony' of Great Britain -- possessing its own identity and culture and with a growing urban infrastructure, but still possessing strong ties with the mother country.

Alpha Centauri-AB:

1 inhabited planet (Chiron), colony of the United Earth Republic. Population: 289 million.

Chiron (Alpha Centauri III) is an Earth-sized class-M world colonized predominantly by Humans from Earth, although a sizeable minority of colonists are from other Federation (and non-Federation) worlds. Noted scientist Zefram Cochrane led the Human colonization effort on Chiron in the late 21st century, and lived out the rest of his life here.

Chiron is run by an autonomous planetary government, although the United Earth Republic exercises nominal sovereignty and control of foreign and defense affairs. Starfleet maintains a series of shipyards and defense bases in orbit, as well as several spaceports on-planet. The Upland Wastes Proving Ground is located on planet.

Alpha Centauri was the first system colonized by Humanity after the wars of the late 21st century, and as such local culture is very reflective and philosophical. The typical Centauri will prefer to talk and debate his way out of a problem rather than fighting. Centauris will also sometimes get caught up considering possibilities and unforeseen consequences of an action, and will find it difficult to make a decision.

(Game effects: Centauri Humans do not get "The Human Spirit" advantage, instead getting: +1 Presence, Centered: +2 WILL, Empathetic: +1 bonus to Influence, Negotiate and Persuade tests; Skill Focus: Artistic: +1 to all Craft & Entertain skills.

Barnard's Star:
    1 inhabited planet (Izar), colony of the United Earth Republic. Population: 15 million.

Izar (Barnard's Star II) is a class-M world colonized by Humans from Earth in the late 22d century; few non-Humans make the world their home.

Izar is a tiny class-M world the size of Pluto's moon Charon. Izar has a highly dense core, however, giving the planet a gravity of 0.29G, along with a thin atmosphere. The world was the second to receive Human colonists from Earth. Because of the low gravity, Izar Humans tend to be physically weaker than other Humans. Perhaps to compensate, Izarians tend to be ferocious warriors, ready to fight at the slightest provocation. Several internecine wars have been fought in the post-settlement era over property boundaries and riparian rights. The people are divided into ten clans, based on the ten colony ships that departed Earth in 2171.

The United Earth Republic recently resumed direct rule over Izar, as periodic fighting between different settlement factions led to the disbandment of the colonial government. The resumption of Terran rule and the deployment of the United Earth military as a peacekeeping force appears to have ended the fighting. Izarians elect representatives directly to the UER Assembly. The United Earth High Comissioner appointed by New York is the formal planetary executive, although each settlement has a popularly-elected government that handles most day to day affairs.

Starfleet maintains one shipyard/defense base in orbit, and the Starfleet Low Gravity World Combat Course is located planetside. Starfleet (although not the Naval Infantry, which is dominated by high-G world types,) is a popular career for many young Izarians, and Izarians have had an influence out of proportion to their numbers in the Fleet.

(Game effects: Izar humans get: Low-G World: -1 strength, Attention to Detail: +1 perception, skill focus Combat (+1 each for all Tactics and unarmed combat specialties,) Born to Lead: +2 to all Persuade tests. Typical flaws include: Proud, Arrogant, Bloodlust.

Sirius:
    1 inhabited planet (Sirius II) Population: 5 million.

Sirius II is a tiny class-D world with no native population or lifeforms. Gravity = 0.06G. Sirius II hosts a large mining complex to retrieve energy sources such as dilithium and other radioactives. Although the world is a United Earth colony, Humans constitute only 50% of the population, with a multitude of other races (Federation and others,) making up the balance. With the exception of individuals in the service economy, government officials, merchants, or those working in the spaceports and orbital facilities, everyone is an employee of one of the five mining corporations that do business on the planet. The companies have a contract dating back sixty years that carefully defines the areas in which each corporation is permitted to do business.

A three-frigate squadron from Starfleet based in the civilian orbital complex patrols the system.

[Game effects: Inhabitants of Sirius II may be from any Federation race, receiving standard benefits.]

Rigel:
    1 inhabited planet . (Not including Orion-controlled worlds), (Rigel IV) Population: 41.5 million/
    Rigel IV is a small Class-H world, 0.4G gravity and thin oxygen atmosphere (respirators not required outside, although additional atmospheric forming continues). The Armstrong Colony serves as a trading post and ship-servicing facility. The Gagarin Settlement is becoming a center of light manufacturing work, making products for sale to the neighboring Orion homeworlds. Rigel VII ("Botchok") is homeworld to the Orion race.

[Game effects: Humans from Rigel IV (a/k/a "Rigellians") have the following abilities: Eye for Profit: Rigel IV Humans can make an Appraise skill test to identify an opporunity for profit. Use the difficulty chart accompanying the Appraise skill (PG, 109) to determine the target number for this test. With a successful test, the Narrator should tell the player how the situation could be turned to profit -- meaning an ambassador could provide a lucrative contract, acquiring the rights to a stable wormhole could reap millions, and someone, somewhere might want 100 gross of self-sealing stem bolts. +1 Savvy. -1 Strength (low gravity on Rigel IV). Bonus Language: Orion +2.

Orion residents of Rigel IV will typically have dual citizenship in the UER and the BPC. They possess all native abilities of other Orions, with the exception of a -1 penalty for low-G worlds, and Bonus Language -- English +1.]

Altair
    Inhabited worlds: 1 (Altair VI), inhabited moons: 1 (total moons: 5). Aggregate population: 90 million.

Altair VI is an Oceanic world colonized by Vulcans in the early 21st century. Seventy-eight percent of the population is Vulcan. The planet's economy is agricultural and export-driven -- Altair Water, a wine created with certain fruits native only to the planet is one of the colony's chief exports. A conservative streak pervades popular culture and philosophy; as a result, the Altair Vulcans have largely rejected the revival of Surakian philosophy that took place on Vulcan in the mid-22d century. A general disdain for the "mind arts" prevails, and in some communities, use of psionic powers is not merely poor taste, but illegal, because of a fear of "mind diseases" that may be spread. Emotional outbursts (while still rare,) are a lot more common among the Altair Vulcans, and the population tends to be more concerned with commerce and wealth than the quest for knowledge and wisdom. They also tend to be quicker to draw a phaser when backed into a corner than their counterparts on the Vulcan homeworld. The late Bob Wesley once referred to Altair Vulcans as "Romulans without the attitude."

The Vulcan Planetary Confederation retains nominal sovereignty and control of foreign affairs, although in practice, the colony is completely self-governing. There is little agitation for independence, due to the colony's small population. The colony's primary concern is increasing habitable area -- current estimates show that if present trends continue, the colony will become a net importer of food within ten years.

Although the planet is a relatively large terrestrial world, it is dominated by a huge ocean. The largest continent, Quendor, is slightly smaller than Australia, and crescent-shaped. No point on Quendor is more than 30 kilometers from the ocean. Seventy-eight percent of the populaton is Vulcan; a significant (10%) Human minority has settled in Quendor, forming a small, but important, commercial community. A vigorous debate is currently going on over whether additional resources should be placed into attempting to construct underwater habitations, or in terraforming one of the planet's five moons. The planet's immigration laws are very liberal and open -- particularly to immigrants from other Federation worlds.

Some are concerned that if additional habitable areas are not created soon, overpopulation and crowding will become an issues, and have called for more restrictive immigration laws.

[game rule: Traits of Vulcans from Altair VI: 0 Intellect (culturally less emphasis on academic research, so they do not receive the +1 benefit their counterparts on the homeworld do,) +1 Strength (gravity of Altair VI is 1.06G, so they do not receive the additional strength benefit of the high-gravity homeworld,) +0 Presence (The descendants of Vulcan colonizers and explorers are more open to alien cultures, manners, and emotions.) Species Abilities: standard for Vulcans, except they do not automatically receive Mind Meld; this must be purchased, representing a chauvanistic distaste for the "mind arts". New free ability: water planet native. 91% of Altair VI's surface is covered by water. Vulcans native to the planet receive +1 to any AGL or PHYS skill test that takes place in an aquatic environment, such as Vehicle Operation, Stealth.]

Eminiar
    Eminiar
    Inhabited worlds: 2 (Eminiar VII, Vendikar, double planet system), Population: (Eminiar VII only) 25 million.

Eminiar VII was settled by colonists from Earth via a long-range warp sleeper ship carrying 900,000 colonists sent in the year 2069, before the establishment of the UER. The colony was established on arrival in 2159. Subsequent to founding, disagreements broke out between various factions over political and ethnic differences, and a splinter group settled Eminiar VII's twin planet, Vendikar, in 2183. Despite the split, a war started in 2199 between the two colonies over exploitation of several nearby planetoids, which was not resolved until 2268, thanks to the efforts of Ambassador Robert Fox. Although Eminiar VII began as an Earth colony dominated by Humans, it never submitted to UER sovereignty (indeed, contact with Earth was sporadic until the late 2260s,) and joined the Federation as an independent member in 2275. Vendikar itself, a world of 8 million colonists, remains independent of the UFP.

Because of the intense discipline necessary to colonize a world without support seventy light-years from home, against the hardships of the new world and struggles against neighboring factions, Eminian culture is very regimented. An amoral pragmatism is common among the people, who are quite willing to do what needs to be done in order to survive, no matter how callous or cruel this may appear to outsiders.

[Species skills -- Eminians -- Code of Honor: Eminiar Law (will scrupulously obey reasonable interpretation of legitimate laws, even willing to walk into death chamber if this is what law requires; must spend one courage point to break this code); +3 Will; Skill Focus: Computers (Computer Use and Systems Engineering); -1 Strength (low gravity world). Required Species Flaws: Xenophobic (years of war has left all inhabitants of the Eminiar system suspicious of outsiders; no courage can be spent on any social test involving an alien race. Humans from Earth or other Earth colonies are not considered alien for this test, but no other non-Human races (e.g., Vulcans,) are exempt, even if humanoid in appearance). All natives of Eminiar VII must also take Intolerant (Vendikar).

I have two solutions to this problem depending on the circumstances. One is I assume that a template represents the genetic and cultural mean of that society, and from that, I assume that many of not most members of that species do not fall within that range; therefore, I do not have a problem with characters selling something off to buy something else as long as they provide an in-game explanation as to why they deviate from the norm.

I also try to take into the account of lost colony and prodigal son type cultures where a group within the main species completely broke off from the main group for a sufficiently long time that members of the group with acquire a different cultural and genetic mean from the parent group. In these circumstance, I feel that I new template would be justified.

This does lead me to some questions I have been considering. Between cryogenic accidents and time-travel accidents, there are people from the 20th and 21st centuries living in the 22nd and 23rd centuries. I always thought it would be interesting to either play one of those characters or use one as a recurring character. I have considered making a template for a modern human, but I have ran into a brick wall and creating one. Modern earth humans are not a unified culture, and the rapid change in culture and technology makes it worse. I have some ideas, but I tend to turn my ideas into essays when I write them down, and I wanted to get some other ideas first.

There might even be colonies that were created before the UE was firmly established as the sole speaker of the Human species that are strongly nationalistic in nature, or are of a single national make up.

Also, how would a person coup with being transported through time, by either time travel or cryogenics, finding themselves in similar but unfamiliar places. Home is not home anymore, the people you once knew are long since gone. Will they be able to adapt, what of their new life, and new life's work? I am sure archeologist and anthropologist will be picking your mind for lost insights in past history for years, if not decades. Will there be new diseases that you may not be adapt to, or old diseases that your mere presence will reintroduce?
    Last edited by JALU3; 12-20-2009 at 04:49 PM.