Thread: New Laptop.

New Laptop.

My old laptop is finally giving up the ghost after several years, so my buddy Bill gave me his old one. It's a Toshiba Pentium IV with a Gig of RAM and a 40 Gig HD. Meesa happy camper. Now to transfer over my game page... Oh, and I got my dentures last week. Still learning to chew with them, though, but I can smile...

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E Oulton View Post
    giving up the ghost
    You really say that in English too? That's funny, becuse the literal translation is a typical German phrase as well.

... Oh, and I got my dentures last week. ... but I can smile...
    Then do so often!
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

Yeah Evan, we really say that too. Its possible that its one of the Germanic sayings that came over originally with the Saxons and stuck with us?
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Now I think of it... in French the saying is "giving up the soul" (or "giving back", or "surrender", they all translate to the same word in French, but etymologically I don't know which is closer). I wonder who started it

Glad to know you're doing fine on all accounts Owen
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gurden View Post
    Yeah Evan, we really say that too. Its possible that its one of the Germanic sayings that came over originally with the Saxons and stuck with us?
    'Geist'... 'ghost'... seems obvious to me.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E Oulton View Post
    My old laptop is finally giving up the ghost after several years, so my buddy Bill gave me his old one. It's a Toshiba Pentium IV with a Gig of RAM and a 40 Gig HD. Meesa happy camper. Now to transfer over my game page... Oh, and I got my dentures last week. Still learning to chew with them, though, but I can smile...
    Yea to Smiling! Hints from one denture wearer to another, if they're fitted correctly you should be use to them without issue in less then a month, if not, well I'm going on month 3 now and still have problems with the lower set popping out from time to time. If you smoke or use a lot of gum it's even harder, corn on the cob will forever be right out of the question.
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

The phrase "give up the ghost" goes back about 2000 years. Let's see if I can figure out how to make the Koine Greek readable with our alphabet...

"O de Iesous palin kraxas phone megale apheken to pneuma." The Gospel According to Matthew, Chapter 27, Verse 50.

At His crucifixion, when Jesus knew His time had come He "gave back his spirit" and allowed Himself to die on the cross.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

Sorry for the Thread-hijacking I just found it funny, that such a phrase translates into English as well. I am sure that the phrase originally is indeed from the bible's new testament as well, which is probably the reason why it can be found in German, French and obviously English as well. Yet however interestingly in German you would never say that sombody gives up his or her ghost, it is only applied to things, like said laptop.
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11