Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TOS Era Characters

Quote Originally Posted by Rotwang View Post
    My knowledge of FASA is that I have heard of it. I don't know anything about the mechanics of it. I am intrigued about a system that works on finer detail though. Even with creating multiple templates and overlays, characters seem to look a lot alike statisticly in ICON. I would be interested in taking a look at it. Are there and PDF versions available on the web?
    FASA Trek worked by setting skills on a 1-100 percentile scale. Games like the old RuneQuest were similar. FASA also graded a characters competency. Certain task might not require a roll depending on the character's skill.

For example if piloting a shuttlecraft under routine conditions, anyone with a skill rating of 10 or higher was considered a qualified shuttle pilot and would not need to make a skill roll. Those with skills of 1-9 would need to make a skill roll on 1D10 against their skill. Those without the skill at all would be in a tough spot and would have to hope for some successful LUC rolls to avoid a mishap.

The system really didn't work in much finer detail though. While the 1-100 range was (and still is) much larger than the 1-6 scale in ICON, almost all skill rolls were of the succeed/fail variety. I don't even think it had rules for degrees of success and failure, so it actually played with less detail than ICON.

Overall, the game had it's good points and bad points. It's biggest drawback being that it was created and expanding in during a tie when Trek was not very active. So when the films took off and Next Gen got started, it led to some differences between the FASA setting and official Trek.

Yes, there probably are PDFs for FASA out there on the net, but we cannot recommended you to download them, tell you where to locate them, or how, as this would violate copywrite and product licenses and could get people and this board into trouble. Sorry.

We can say that the books do pop up regularly at places like eBay, and in the used bin at many local gaming shops. And at good prices.

And, of course we can discuss and and all facets of the game with you.

I seem to have temporarily lost my FTP access to Memory: ICON, but I'll post the result on my regular page and announce it here when I'm done. Hope to get it done before Christmas.

OK, here's the first up Kirk, both Captain and Admiral, so you can judge the difference...

Captain: http://coldnorth.com/owen/game/start...ource/kirk.htm
    Admiral: http://www.coldnorth.com/memoryicon/...nel/kirkjt.htm

Note that I've given him an Inept (American History) because of his hilariously inaccurate understanding of the Gunfight at the OK Corral.

Nice Owen, I did notice an error on both versions, it looks like you forgot something.
    Propulsion Engineering) 2 (3)
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

Thanks, Phoenix. I'll fix that promptly. The problem is that I find writing the code a bit boring, and proofreading it even more so. It definitely helps to have someone else look over the final product...

And here we go with Spocko...

Commander: http://coldnorth.com/owen/game/start...urce/spock.htm
    Captain: http://www.coldnorth.com/memoryicon/personnel/spock.htm

Thanks! That looks great. There really isn't a significant difference between the two versions.

OK, all of them are done. I found a few shortcuts rather than doing all the coding from scratch. The URL is: http://coldnorth.com/owen/game/start...ource/char.htm

Enjoy!

That is much appreciated, and I enjoyed the Hitchhiker entries also though I have no idea how I would ever use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E Oulton View Post
    OK, all of them are done. I found a few shortcuts rather than doing all the coding from scratch. The URL is: http://coldnorth.com/owen/game/start...ource/char.htm

Enjoy!
    Proof read.

Ensign Rand has fanmous Incident/Promotion to Lt. Commander a bit early.
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Oooops. I'll fix it. My access to Memory: ICON has been restored, so I'll fix Admiral Kirk as well.

So, is that at all useful to anyone? I've only run the TOS characters once, in a convention scenario, and a couple of times as NPC's although that last was the senior versions... I had fun with them but I'd hate to put all that effort into something nobody uses.

I intend to use them as background characters in my campaign (If it ever gets off of the ground), and as potential contacts and rivalries for players as well as a deus ex machina if I need to get my players out of the fire or give them a smackdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E Oulton View Post
    Oooops. I'll fix it. My access to Memory: ICON has been restored, so I'll fix Admiral Kirk as well.

So, is that at all useful to anyone? I've only run the TOS characters once, in a convention scenario, and a couple of times as NPC's although that last was the senior versions... I had fun with them but I'd hate to put all that effort into something nobody uses.
    I will use this to show off the game, thanks so much!
    "The best diplomat that I know is a fully-loaded phaser bank." -- Lt. Cdr. Montgomery Scott ("A Taste of Armageddon")

You're very welcome!

Spock: Famous Ancestor (Sherlock Holmes)? Is that right? Should it be Sarek, his father?
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by spshu View Post
    Spock: Famous Ancestor (Sherlock Holmes)? Is that right? Should it be Sarek, his father?
    It's a joke.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry