Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vesta-class (USS Aventine) [CODA SS]

Vesta-class (USS Aventine) [CODA SS]

Decided to take a crack at it with Starships & ESO with what little info is out there so far, I figure I finished up using 118 of 119 space ...

Vesta-class Specifications
    Production Data
    Origin: United Federation of Planets
    Class and Type: Vesta-class Multi-mission Explorer
    Year Launched: 2380
    Hull Data
    Structure: 45 (5 Ablative)
    Size/Decks: 8/25 decks
    Length/Beam/Height: 672/182/87 meters
    Complement: 750
    Operational Data
    Atmosphere Capable: No
    Cargo Units: 80
    Life Support: Class 4 (E)
    Operations System: Class 4 (E)
    Sensor System: Class 5 (+5/+4/+3/+2/+1) (F)
    Separation System: No
    Shuttlebays: 2
    Shuttlecraft: 16 Size worth
    Tractor Beams: 1 aft ventral, 1 forward ventral
    Transporters: 4 standard, 4 emergency, 4 cargo
    Propulsion Data
    Impulse Engine: FIG-7 (0.95c) (E)
    Warp Drive: LF-50 Mod 1 (warp 9/9.5/9.99) (E)
    Special Drive: Quantum Slipstream Drive (warp 9.99999) (C)
    Tactical Data
    Phaser Arrays: Mark XII (x4/E)
    Penetration: 6/5/5/0/0
    Torpedo Launchers: Mk-95 DF (x3/E)
    Quantum Penetration: 7/7/7/7/7
    Deflector Shield: FSS-3 (F)
    Protection/Threshold: 18/6
    Miscellaneous Data
    Maneuver Modifiers: +3C, -1H, +3T
    Traits: Ablative Armor, Intricate System (Quantum Slipstream Drive), Prototype (Quantum Slipstream Drive)

Seems there's about 7 of them from what I read online, 3 that are named: USS Aventine, USS Esquiline & USS Quirinal. Presumably there is also the USS Vesta, USS Capitoline, USS Palatine, USS Viminal & USS Caelian ... following the 7 Hills of Rome theme ...

Lovely (I think) looking ship:

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/st..._in_flight.jpg
    Last edited by RealPity; 12-15-2009 at 10:51 PM.

Awesome! Nice work, RP. Two thumbs up!
    Crimson Hand Gamers...why have your own site when there's Facebook?

Thanks, may be an open work in progress as more becomes known of it ... I've only read the Destiny books, so not sure if there's more/better info in other books since than what's in those 3 or on the 'net so far.

Awesome writeup. The Vesta's become one of my new favorite ships of late.

The only other books I know wherein other info about the class might be known is Keith R.A. DeCandido's "A Singular Destiny" (which heavily features the Aventine), and possibly Kirsten Beyer's Voyager novel "Unworthy" which has the Esquiline and Quirinal as part of Voyager's Delta Quadrant expeditionary fleet.
    chris "mac" mccarver
    world's angriest creative mind

Interesting look... but the seven hills of Rome seem like a weird naming scheme for a class of Federation ships.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    Interesting look... but the seven hills of Rome seem like a weird naming scheme for a class of Federation ships.
    I've been seeing that a lot with the current Trek authors and the new classes of ships they've introduced. All the ships of a certain class have some sort of theme running.

Luna-class: all named after moons of the Sol system
    Archer-class: all related to archery or legendary archers
    Vesta-class: all named after the hills of Rome
    chris "mac" mccarver
    world's angriest creative mind

Quote Originally Posted by Mac417 View Post
    I've been seeing that a lot with the current Trek authors and the new classes of ships they've introduced. All the ships of a certain class have some sort of theme running.

Luna-class: all named after moons of the Sol system
    Archer-class: all related to archery or legendary archers
    Vesta-class: all named after the hills of Rome
    What? Like the Danube class Runabouts all named after Rivers?

TBH I quite like a 'theme' in Ship naming conventions, it might not be 100% but I do like the ideal... So Sabre classes get named after bladed weapons (apart from the Excalibur as thats taken), Steamrunners I like to name after famous Steam-ships, contraptions or the old WW1 Dreadnaughts (which works with the USS Thunderchild too) That sort of thing...
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Quote Originally Posted by Mac417 View Post
    Rivers and moons I get. The seven hills of a the capital of a brutal, autocratic empire; or a republic of the rich that thrived on slavery? Specific emperors (the USS Aurelius might work) might have a decent reputation in the 24th century, but otherwise it seems a little... Terran Imperial : P
    Last edited by The Tatterdemalion King; 01-20-2010 at 03:09 AM.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Rome is a place and, despite it's "brutal" nature, the Empire has endured in archaeology and literature. I don't see it as completely inappropriate (except that there are only seven hills...what happens when they build an 8th ship of that class?).

That said, this is one way in which Star Trek mirrors modern military practices. All classes of U.S. Navy vessels (and ships from other navies, too, I'm sure) have a naming convention.

Nimitz-class carriers are named for great supporters of the Navy (Nimitz the fleet admiral, Vinson and Stennis were champions of the Navy in Congress, Lincoln and Washington our greatest presidents, Roosevelt a former Secretary of the Navy and later president, G.H.W. Bush a naval aviator in WWII and later president, Reagan and the 600 ship Navy, and so on).

Los Angeles-class fast attack submarines are named after American cities, and the Ohio-class ballistic missile submarines and Virginia-class fast attack submarines are named after U.S. states.

And so on. Even Starfleet's Constitution-class cruiser has a naming convention. All of the ships are named for famous Earth vessels.

Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Tyger View Post
    Rome is a place and, despite it's "brutal" nature, the Empire has endured in archaeology and literature. I don't see it as completely inappropriate (except that there are only seven hills...what happens when they build an 8th ship of that class?).
    There are other mountains out there; the seven hills are just a starting point. Having seen a picture of the ship, I wouldn't have a problem with one named Selaya, for instance.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

USS Uluru, USS Burkhan Khaldun, USS Wudang Shan, USS Kailash... I guess there's a few others they can use.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13 View Post
    There are other mountains out there; the seven hills are just a starting point. Having seen a picture of the ship, I wouldn't have a problem with one named Selaya, for instance.
    That was meant to be a bit tongue-in-cheek, given the naming convention of "the seven hills surrounding Rome."
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

I kinda figured, but thought I'd respond just in case.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Tyger View Post

That said, this is one way in which Star Trek mirrors modern military practices. All classes of U.S. Navy vessels (and ships from other navies, too, I'm sure) have a naming convention.

Nimitz-class carriers are named for great supporters of the Navy (Nimitz the fleet admiral, Vinson and Stennis were champions of the Navy in Congress, Lincoln and Washington our greatest presidents, Roosevelt a former Secretary of the Navy and later president, G.H.W. Bush a naval aviator in WWII and later president, Reagan and the 600 ship Navy, and so on).

Los Angeles-class fast attack submarines are named after American cities, and the Ohio-class ballistic missile submarines and Virginia-class fast attack submarines are named after U.S. states.

And so on. Even Starfleet's Constitution-class cruiser has a naming convention. All of the ships are named for famous Earth vessels.

FASA did that with almost all their ships.(even though some of them went over my head & made me go look them up to find the connection.Especially the Loknar Class.)

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorKnight View Post
    FASA did that with almost all their ships.(even though some of them went over my head & made me go look them up to find the connection.Especially the Loknar Class.)
    The USS Taarna, USS Uhluhtc, USS Sternn, USS Pacific Pearl...