Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vesta-class (USS Aventine) [CODA SS]

I don't mind it so much, makes coming up with names for new ships easy enough if you follow the theme.

And you might have noticed, I already ended up with 8 ships named in the writeup ... cursed wikipedia

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    The USS Taarna, USS Uhluhtc, USS Sternn, USS Pacific Pearl...
    Heavy Metal ?

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorKnight View Post
    Heavy Metal ?
    Yeah. I mean... Loknar.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by Mac417 View Post
    Awesome writeup. The Vesta's become one of my new favorite ships of late.

The only other books I know wherein other info about the class might be known is Keith R.A. DeCandido's "A Singular Destiny" (which heavily features the Aventine), and possibly Kirsten Beyer's Voyager novel "Unworthy" which has the Esquiline and Quirinal as part of Voyager's Delta Quadrant expeditionary fleet.
    Thanks Mac, I'll have to check those out ... go through them and note every little mention of anything related to the ship(s).

Quote Originally Posted by RealPity View Post
    Thanks Mac, I'll have to check those out ... go through them and note every little mention of anything related to the ship(s).
    Went through ASD, most of the info was Aventine-specific...

--The Vestas have at least two shuttlebays (they referred to "Shuttlebay One"), with Shuttlebay One big enough to accommodate a "decent-sized fleet of runabouts and shuttlecraft." Among Aventine's auxiliary fleet are a runabout, the Seine (I'm presuming Danube-class), a cargo shuttle named Kor, and two other shuttles christened Koloth and Kang.
    --Apparently very good sensor systems ("The Vesta-class ships were fresh off the line with the same top-of-the-line sensors as the Luna class...")
    --Use of the slipstream drive causes a variable drop in the structural integrity field (Aventine lost 37% after using it in ASD, but only about half that when it was used in the Destiny trilogy)
    chris "mac" mccarver
    world's angriest creative mind

Alrighty, "Enhanced System, Sensors" and perhaps some manner of "Design Defect, QSD" ... have to look through the books when I'm back at home.

The two shuttlebays with 16 Size worth should do then for now unless/until contradicted at some point.

About nameing conventions the U S Navy called all its Battleships excepting BB5 USS Kearsage were called after U S States. Cruisersd were called after U S Cities
    Japanese Battleships after Japanese Perfectures and German battlecruisers after
    German Generals

Quote Originally Posted by regemet View Post
    About nameing conventions the U S Navy called all its Battleships excepting BB5 USS Kearsage were called after U S States. Cruisersd were called after U S Cities
    Japanese Battleships after Japanese Perfectures and German battlecruisers after
    German Generals
    Most German WW1 Battleships were called after German provences

Just picked up the new issue of the Titan Star Trek magazine that had a big feature on the Aventine. Bits of note:

--The nav deflector on the ship is larger than what would be considered normal for a ship this size (about 40% of the ship's overall height) and is equipped with a "quantum field focus controller" that aids in slipstream flight.
    --The main recreation hall is located on Deck 12.
    --Number of shuttlebays confirmed to be two and they're arranged one above the other with the upper main shuttlebay much larger than Shuttlebay 2. The main shuttlebay has an external flight deck with a built-in runabout lift not unlike those on DS9.
    --Warp engine nacelles have larger-than-normal cooling systems and "more advanced" Bussard ramscoops, owing to the longer length of the nacelles.
    --Saucer-separation capable.
    --Bridge is still on Deck 1 and still swappable per mission needs but fits seamlessly into the dorsal "spine" making it a less obvious target.
    --Two Mark XII phaser cannons fixed forward on the ventral side of the saucer.
    --"Improved" ablative armor

SPECS:

Vesta-class multimission explorer
    Dimensions: 672 m long, 195 m wide, 88 m high
    Decks: 23
    Mass: 321,630 MT
    Cargo Capacity: 24,000 MT
    Crew Complement: 745
    Emergency Accommodation: 3,500
    chris "mac" mccarver

I have finally had a chance to catch up on my fiction reading and I love the write up, and have a question: how do we detail the warp drive that is typically used? I do not know what drive it has, if it has a prerequisite drive needed o use the slipstream drive or not, how fast it is at traditional warp drive, and how much space is used for each system...

Ok I suppose that's more than one question! Sorry about that. I certainly like the write up, thank you.
    USS INDEPENDENCE

"FREEDOM'S FLAGSHIP"

Quote Originally Posted by Commander Ramey View Post
    I have finally had a chance to catch up on my fiction reading and I love the write up, and have a question: how do we detail the warp drive that is typically used? I do not know what drive it has, if it has a prerequisite drive needed o use the slipstream drive or not, how fast it is at traditional warp drive, and how much space is used for each system...

Ok I suppose that's more than one question! Sorry about that. I certainly like the write up, thank you.
    Pretty much all the Vesta class has in terms of FTL propulsion is her standard warp drive and the QSD. One isn't dependent on the other, nor does the QSD need an additional drive system to propel it through slipstream, but it does require chroniton navigational sensors (they calculate navigational data several seconds in the future; the calculations needed to maintain the ship's integrity and course are too complex and random for a person to hash out or a starship computer to accurately predict). A couple sources here and there have the Vesta's max velocity at Warp 9.99 (an LF-50 Mod 1 out of the Starships book fits the bill), but I'm not sure if that's from one of the books, since said sources don't point to established references.
    chris "mac" mccarver