Thread: Still worth buying?

Still worth buying?

Is it still worth buying this game?

I'm planning on buying the adventure roleplaying game to get started, and then move on to the core book.

I wouldn't waste your time with the Adventure boxset. I'd go straight to the Core Book and Fell-beasts and Wondrous Magic - these are all you really need. The other books add some good stuff but it is not critical.

As far as a waste of time? No, I don't think so. If you like playing in Middle-earth and you have players that do too, then CODA is a great system (IMO).

I agree that if you like Tolkien's world and role-playing, the system is still worth investing in.
    Crimson Hand Gamers...why have your own site when there's Facebook?

Hmm, I'm getting to adventure game for a quick-start. English isn't my main language, and although I can understand it, I'm afraid the corebook is a bit too much to start with. I've read the Adventure Game also contains maps and stuff to better visualize the game.

But I'm also getting the corebook when I understand the system. And the " Fell Beasts & Wondrous Magic", it includes more monsters, right?

I'm a bit wary of magic though. In the books and movie, the magic used by the fellowship and other heroes was very subtle. How is it portrayed in this game?

Yep Fell Beasts are to be found in that tome.

Magic in the game seems less subtle than the movies or the books, but still much more subtle than any other fantasy RPG I've experienced. It tries to strike the balance between staying close to source material and a resource for players who like having spell power.
    Crimson Hand Gamers...why have your own site when there's Facebook?

Magic in this game is as close to the source of the books as is possible in a game, I guess. Haven't seen any other game more suitable to represent Tolkiens world.

I'd say "Tome of the Wise" is also worth getting, but sadly not available, since it was only sold as a PDF.

It's certainly worth posting magic questions to learn stuff from TotM.

One thing I liked about the Magic system in CODA LotR, perhaps the bit I liked best, was that the way characters could tweak the magic system to suit the characters.

For example, an elf that concentrated on beat magics and innate spells would have a different feel than a dwarf who specialized on enchantments and runes. Both could be magicians, with the same advancements and picks, but look and feel very different.

Paths of the Wise is a PDF publication that has expanded information on the spellcasting system that fixes and enhances an already great system. If you want more info on the system and alternate rules for it, check out the CODA BSR.
    Former Editor, The Hall of Fire, Beyond the Final Frontier
    http://www.geocities.com/gandalfofborg25/index.html