Thread: Expanded Combat

Expanded Combat

This is something I'm working on.
    I need a couple of months to finish it, so all comments are welcome.

Here is a previeuw of what I created so far.

Attachment 1110
    Last edited by IKI; 04-05-2010 at 05:28 AM.
    Ardet Nec Consumitur' / Burns but doesn't decay / Brandt maar vergaat niet.

Just a thought...

You have, if I understand it correctly, that the opponent gets a free attack of a person retreats.

As long it is a controlled movement, I can't really see how it would give any extra attack. However, the option to follow and keep the contact is something else.

What is the design goal? To better emulate what is shown on screen, more realism, better gaming balance, or something else?

Sorry to answer so late, but took a short vakation in Paris.

You have, if I understand it correctly, that the opponent gets a free attack of a person retreats.
    Yes

As long it is a controlled movement, I can't really see how it would give any extra attack. However, the option to follow and keep the contact is something else.
    Moving out of a threatened square usually provokes a free attack (Attack of Opportunity) from the threatening opponent, unless the character takes a 2 meter-step, Tumbles out of the threatened square, or when spends all of his
    actions in moving (no Combat Action). So in this case the controled movement is the 2m step or the tumble.

What is the design goal? To better emulate what is shown on screen, more realism, better gaming balance, or something else?
    To create a balanced unified combat system that offer the player a lot of possible actions. In this system almost any player can perform the basic combat maneuvers, but by taking an edge tied to that combat maneuver he becomes even better. It also allows for Martial Arts styles creations with a nr of edges that are tied to certain maneuvers not to certain MA Styles (easyer to recreate any MA out there in the galaxy). By adding the rules of Attack of opportunities, the combat becomes more tactical, movelment is more restricted, and the use of ranged weapons provokes an attack of opportunity. I've already used it multiple times, and it works weel. But there is a chatch however: The player must also know the rules or a combat could take an entire session, and that comes in the way of the role playing it self.

Quote Originally Posted by IKI View Post
    Sorry to answer so late, but took a short vakation in Paris.
    Hope you had a great time

Moving out of a threatened square usually provokes a free attack (Attack of Opportunity) from the threatening opponent, unless the character takes a 2 meter-step, Tumbles out of the threatened square, or when spends all of his
    actions in moving (no Combat Action). So in this case the controled movement is the 2m step or the tumble.
    Some more thoughts on the topic. Both of those sounds like things you would have to specifically practice for (edges) to be able to use. The 2m step requires quite a bit of awareness of the surrounding terrain and people tend to have tunnel vision during stress. Without having that training they can either take the step blindly, hoping that they won't crash into something or trip over something. Or they can look first, giving the opponent that free attack.

Doing a tumble do require some training as well. Most of those that practice tumbling at all seems to just practice break falls, and not really tumbling as a form of movement. A tumble in the middle of a fight would require having awareness of the surroundings, and been practicing tumbling as an in-fight movement to do it at the right moment, not loosing sight of the opponent, and getting up facing the opponent (would be bad to give the enemy a free attack against the back).

When sport fighting in a ring, that surround awareness is just a waste of time, as there is just one opponent to keep track of. No one else will join in. The terrain is flat and nothing to crash into or trip over.

To create a balanced unified combat system that offer the player a lot of possible actions. In this system almost any player can perform the basic combat maneuvers, but by taking an edge tied to that combat maneuver he becomes even better. It also allows for Martial Arts styles creations with a nr of edges that are tied to certain maneuvers not to certain MA Styles (easyer to recreate any MA out there in the galaxy). By adding the rules of Attack of opportunities, the combat becomes more tactical, movelment is more restricted, and the use of ranged weapons provokes an attack of opportunity. I've already used it multiple times, and it works weel. But there is a chatch however: The player must also know the rules or a combat could take an entire session, and that comes in the way of the role playing it self.
    Then I know a bit more about the thoughts behind it. Seems to be quite a bit more flexible than the standard rules

Hope you had a great time
    It was great and very relaxing.

Then I know a bit more about the thoughts behind it. Seems to be quite a bit more flexible than the standard rules
    Thats what I hope.

I keep on working on this project, but it takes a lot of time.
    I have 2 kids, a wife, a full time job, sports, and 2 role playing groups i play in.
    But I'm preparing for my new season that strats in 3 months, so more time to work on this project.

Here is a second previeuw. I added the combat actions, and some edges.
    let me klnow what you think of them.

Attachment 1112
    Last edited by IKI; 04-05-2010 at 05:29 AM.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
    I love your combat system - I've used several elements of it in a recent game session and it really added a lot to the session. Especially in the reworking of the dodge action.

Good job !