Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Season Five NX-1 Refit

As for the Abrams movie happening in a parrallel universe your correct. Some people including Spock erroneously called it an alternate reality. The primary device for getting them into the past was a blackhole many theorists reckon that as long as you didnt get caught in the accretion disk you would be pulled through into another dimension and depending on your mass that would define how far you would be temporally displaced.

Quote Originally Posted by somaticon View Post
    As for the Abrams movie happening in a parrallel universe your correct. Some people including Spock erroneously called it an alternate reality.
    ...You're going to have to back up a second and point out why 'parallel universe' and 'alternate reality' are not synonymous, in this case.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

I can understand the difference, actually (even though semantically there may not be one). A parallel universe is just a different reality that does not necessarily result from a branching from the "prime" universe (like the Mirror universe, although I heard that in some versions the point of divergence with our own was actually identified), while an alternate reality is a universe created from an alteration to the past (like the universe with an assimilated Earth glimpsed at the beginning of Star Trek: First Contact).

So this would mean that the universe into which Spock and Nero arrived was not the past of the "main" Trekverse (which would explain the bigger ships, the different aliens, the more militarized Starfleet, and almost everything else). Fine by me
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

So, wait, you people are saying it's another mirror universe?

EDIT: Actually, I can see this being a point of dispute with wth MWI of QM, not necessarily Trek terminology. But I'm one of those people who thinks anyone who embraces the MWI is actually talking about the MMI, they just haven't thought about it enough yet...
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

I'll probably look stupid, but I don't quite get what those acronyms stand for...

And I would not use the term "mirror" for the Abramsverse... That's a point of terminology of course, but I consider mirror universes to be specific for those universes where most things are reversed (they are not particularly realistic, but fun to imagine).
    Parallel universes would be be like those we glimpsed in the TNG episode Parallels: they differ from the "main" universe in various ways, not particularly "mirror", and not necessarily (or at all) branching back to a divergence from the "prime" universe.

To take an example out of the Trek, the parallel universe in the old Doctor Who episode Inferno is a kind of mirror universe (right now that's about the only example of a non-Trek mirror universe I can think of), the universe in the new series where the Cybermen come from is a parallel universe, and the universe in the new series' Turn left episode is an alternate reality.

Yes, I'm squabbling. But I love parallel universes.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Heh, the abbreviations look a little obnoxious to me now. It's the Many Worlds interpretation versus the Many Minds interpretation.

TNG episode Parallels showed that there are many dimensions some of which are closer to the 'main universe' to which we are used to. In this episode a shuttle craft triggers an event when it travels through a fracture. Eventually all the ships from the various dimensions start appearing in the same region and Worf has to go back through the fracture to repair the damage. It statnds to reason that at least one of these could have been a JJ 'verse as well.

This is an extract from a paper on Black holes and may be helpful for roleplaying Star Trek scenarios. This is just one theory in quantum mathmatics revolving around the possibility of dimensional or temporal shift. This can include the effective mass of an object which approaches a singularity. According to theories only a rotating black hole can be used for this.

In the case of a charged (Reissner-Nordström) or rotating (Kerr) black hole it is possible to avoid the singularity. Extending these solutions as far as possible reveals the hypothetical possibility of exiting the black hole into a different spacetime with the black hole acting as a worm hole.It also appears to be possible to follow closed timelike curves around the Kerr singularity, which lead to problems with causality like the grandfather paradox.It is expected that none of these peculiar effects would survive in a proper quantum mechanical treatment of rotating and charged black holes.

TNG episode Parallels showed that there are many dimensions some of which are closer to the 'main universe' to which we are used to. In this episode a shuttle craft triggers an event when it travels through a fracture. Eventually all the ships from the various dimensions start appearing in the same region and Worf has to go back through the fracture to repair the damage. It statnds to reason that at least one of these could have been a JJ 'verse as well.
    No, they were all Enterprise-Ds with Worfs on them.

EDIT: Actually, my theory concerning that episode was that the keyhole didn't move Worf to another reality, other realities started quantum-collapsing, in an alternate arrangement, around Worf. Essentially, it re-superpositioned Worf (and then later the Enterprise), which is why when he got de-superpositioned it all jumped back to the beginning.

I like your interpretation of that episode. I think thats one of the joys of Trek it makes you think about things. Infact that was one of the main principles behind TNG. Still whats to say that this universe does'nt have a TNG timeline as well?

I like your interpretation of that episode. I think thats one of the joys of Trek it makes you think about things. Infact that was one of the main principles behind TNG. Still whats to say that this universe does'nt have a TNG timeline as well?
    Well, technically, it would. Technically.

Urgh. Captain Wesley Crusher of the Enterprise-D?

"Captain's Log, Stardate... Oh, @%&%, it's past my bedtime! Mom's so gonna ground me!"

Quote Originally Posted by Nuclear Fridge View Post
    Urgh. Captain Wesley Crusher of the Enterprise-D?

"Captain's Log, Stardate... Oh, @%&%, it's past my bedtime! Mom's so gonna ground me!"

And this is different from any of the other Wesley-Crusher-teen-heart-throb episodes how?

Quote Originally Posted by selek View Post
    And this is different from any of the other Wesley-Crusher-teen-heart-throb episodes how?
    Not in the slightest. That's the true horror of it.