Thread: Tal Shiar Agent can't be Arrogant

Tal Shiar Agent can't be Arrogant

I just noticed something while building a Tal Shiar agent. During initial character creation, I chose the Flaw “Arrogant”, thinking it was a good fit for a Romulan.

Then, during advancements - to build him up to a full-fledged Tal Shiar agent - I took a peek at the requirements for him to be a Spy (which one really needs if they’re going to be part of the Tal Shiar, one would think). One of the requirements is that the character must have the Edge “Confident”.

Let’s compare the two:

Confident: Courage on a social test = +5.
    Arrogant: Cannot spend Courage on social tests.

So - technically – I guess you can’t have an Arrogant Tal Shiar agent. Or, you can waste 2 picks on the Edge Confident, only to never be able to use it (as long as your character is Arrogant).

I think I’m just going to make a house rule that the “Spy” Elite Profession requires the Confident Edge as a prerequisite unless the character has the Arrogant flaw.
    Doug Taylor
    Member of Decipher's Hall of Fame
    Currently running The One Ring RPG. I also occasionally run Villains & Vigilantes (our campaign is in year 25) and WEG d6 Star Wars (both games are mostly on hiatus) and an annual game based on The X-Files (using Conspiracy X).

I'm just going to say that Elite Professions always seemed like a weird fit for Trek...
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    I'm just going to say that Elite Professions always seemed like a weird fit for Trek...
    I actually think that many of them, like Spy and Special Forces, make a lot of sense and are a pretty good fit for Trek. I suppose they're a better fit for Rings, but I see times in Trek where a character would pursue a more 'advanced' career path.
    Doug Taylor
    Member of Decipher's Hall of Fame
    Currently running The One Ring RPG. I also occasionally run Villains & Vigilantes (our campaign is in year 25) and WEG d6 Star Wars (both games are mostly on hiatus) and an annual game based on The X-Files (using Conspiracy X).