Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek - Enterprise relaunch novels

Star Trek - Enterprise relaunch novels

Hey guys.

I was wondering if some of you have read the relaunch novels of Enterprise?

As far as I know there are three and they supposebly un-do something clearly depicted in the run of the show...

Some insights please, if you will...

As long as that something is "These Are the Voyages..." I'm cool with it.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

I gathered from different wiki-sources that it is somehting in connection with the main point of criticism of said episode....

That it existed?
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13 View Post
    That it existed?
    Hey, if the novels could do that, I'd like to introduce the first book in my new adventure novella series, Starship Voyager and the Order of Hakon!.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Nah, I think not that the whole episode was removed

Actually I can't say for sure, as I have not watched the entire fourth season of ENT (yet). I stopped after the Soong-story arc and I haven't read a single ENT novel. So I once more pose my opening question, that read like this

Quote Originally Posted by Cut View Post
    Hey guys.

I was wondering if some of you have read the relaunch novels of Enterprise?

As far as I know there are three and they supposebly un-do something clearly depicted in the run of the show...

Some insights please, if you will...

Well, Cut, after reading this, I did digging, and probably found out what you found out.

It is intersting that the novels are going to go against canon; one source did say this is something that usually doesn't happen after something becomes canon (you could, before First Contact, write a story where the Borg are actually sentient, technological parasites, but after FC and most of VOY, that would take some major explaining).

I think that while I didn't like the way

Tripp
    died a stupid, pointless death, that's what the writers decided to do, so we're stuck with it. I guess you could have just brought him back in some Trekish manner (time travel, alternate dimention counterpart, clone, etc.), rather than having it be some kind of elaborate plot, but I guess that's my opinion.

So, in the Novels, did they actually show the speach that led to the founding of the FED? (that, was my other major problem with this time-lost TNG epidsode: you tell us this is THE speach, and then you DON'T SHOW IT? Not even a little?)

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    I think that while I didn't like the way

Tripp
    died a stupid, pointless death, that's what the writers decided to do, so we're stuck with it. I guess you could have just brought him back in some Trekish manner (time travel, alternate dimention counterpart, clone, etc.), rather than having it be some kind of elaborate plot, but I guess that's my opinion.
    In terms of conniving workarounds of canon, I feel this is one of the most elegant...
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

I've only read the 1st novel when they did the change(which I hated & thought was stupid when they did it in "These Are the Voyages..."),but I'm looking forward when I get the chance to read the follow up stories.When I got done with the book I was actually ticked that I had to wait till they got the next one out.

I didn't catch the 3rd or 4th season of Enterprise and only read a couple of the early Enterprise novels. What are the "relaunch" novels and I assume you are talking about the final episode of Enterprise as a canon buster. Can someone bring me up to speed as to whats happening in this corner of the Trekverse?
    Crimson Hand Gamers...why have your own site when there's Facebook?

Quote Originally Posted by K.G. Carlson View Post
    I didn't catch the 3rd or 4th season of Enterprise and only read a couple of the early Enterprise novels. What are the "relaunch" novels and I assume you are talking about the final episode of Enterprise as a canon buster. Can someone bring me up to speed as to whats happening in this corner of the Trekverse?
    Okay, so, spoilers.

The last episode of ENT involved Riker playing out a holonovel version of the NX-01's last mission, wherein Trip dies ignominiously. I'm sure it was supposed to resemble a heroic sacrifice, but Berman and Braga don't have those particular writing chops...

Anyway, everyone hated it. Terrible episode, stupid death. I never liked Trip anyway so what do I know. So when the novel's 'relaunch' comes around, the writers decide that the historical record was constructed by Section 31 to conceal some other complicated plot I don't know about because I'm just quoting memory beta at this point.

Now Tripp was my favorite .Hated the epsiode,wish they'ed done it with Shatner the way they originally were.(Shat was going to turn out to be Kirk's grandpa who was Chef.) The only parts I like were the scenes at the end leading up to the speech & the ending where all the Enterprise Captains were doing the "Where No Man...." lines & showing each Enterprise.
    The relaunch follows several plot threads from the 3th season.It was nicely done & for the most part tryed to be respectful of its soruce matterial.(with the exception of the last episode & they tryed to fix it the best they could.)

M'kay.

Trip was given the opportunity to be surgically altered and planted as a spy on Romulus to keep the Romulans from developing a high-warp engine that would give them overwhelming superiority in space. He took it. The death was 'staged" and entered into the official record (which is why it was in Riker's holonovel.)

The most recent books tell the story of the Kobayashi Maru and the beginning of the Romulan War, and the authors have started working to bring ENT in-line with TOS canon, even coming up with digestible reasons why the TOS Enterprise and technology is "retro" compared to ENT.

Also, for those who hated the NX-Class, after the first 6 are built, there's a reason Starfleet chose not to make any more. Ties in with the reason for the retro design.

Plus, by the end of the Romulan War book, all but two of the NX-ships are asploded (and one of those two goes missing - see the "Destiny" trilogy for more on its fate.)
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Quote Originally Posted by First of Two View Post
    The most recent books tell the story of the Kobayashi Maru and the beginning of the Romulan War, and the authors have started working to bring ENT in-line with TOS canon, even coming up with digestible reasons why the TOS Enterprise and technology is "retro" compared to ENT.
    is retro or looks retro?

According to Doug Drexler the NX class was supposed to be a similar colour to the original Enterprise. He was surprised to see that it had been darkened to a metallic colour when the series aired.