Thread: Cold Air

Cold Air

So, the Breen need refrigeration suits, which also hide them completely from view. They have no blood. They have demonstrated no ethics, morals or loyalties beyond the opportunistic and self-serving. They are empathically or telepathically void. They seem oblivious to physical pain. Their language is mechanical, something no humanoid throat could produce. Their technology is partially biological, demonstrating a knowledge of the bio-sciences far surpassing that of the Federation. They are said to reproduce at a young age–but no one knows what a Breen child looks like. Their homeworld, thought to be a frozen wasteland, is apparently quite temperate...

I think I've just realized what the Breen are.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    I think I've just realized what the Breen are.
    A bad plot device?
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

I actually thought they were rather interesting. Some things work best, when they stay secret. I always felt that Boba Fett lost his appeal, when be became a regular in novels, comics and stuff...
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13 View Post
    A bad plot device?
    At least they don't glow.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Evoloved sponges?
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

I guess if I got the post title right, it might have been funnier...

So this explains why my Googling of "Cold Air" did not help me to get the joke...

Apart from that, I never quite liked the Breen. A bit too monolithic villains to my tastes, and above all, their languages that every character on the show understood but not the viewer annoyed me. It's funny with R2D2, but not so much there.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

I rather liked the Breen and they certainly had a cool looking battlecruiser.
    "For to win 100 victories in 100 battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill." Sun Tzu - The Art of War

Even if you understand why someone does something, sometimes evil is just evil

But it would be easier to say that if it was only one sole individual, but it's not, it's an entire race/species. So then why do the seem so mysterious and hell bent to oppose anything portrayed as good or right from the Pro-Federation POV that is held within the multiple series of Star Trek.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One