Thread: Creatures & Water Encounters

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Creatures & Water Encounters

Hi !

I've spent the day browsing the creatures book, and couldn't find anything to use in an upcoming game.

In short, I need something similar to a Shark, but a bit more Klingon if that makes any sense. I'm sure I could stat something out using the CODA creature system. But, I know there are a lot of people here who've been playing the game a lot longer than I have.

So, I thought I'd... um... fish around and see if anyone has some good, fearsome water creatures that have appeared in their series.

Here's what we've got: three officers are on a secret mission for Starfleet Intel to rescue a Cardassian envoy from a terrorist group holding him for ransom. One of the officers has managed to get into the sewer system on the planet where this envoy is being held.

I based this planet - a sort of Tortuga in space - on Qualor II from the Kingon Honor Guard video game. And in the sewer systems on Qualor II were some very fierce fish called bireQTs.

Our hero is supposed to fight these fishies and be put out just enough that the other characters have to rescue him, delaying the departure from the planet long enough to set up a running space battle with their runabout & some of the terrorists.

I though if I conducted a fishing expedition here on the forum, I might be lucky enough to come up with the Deadliest Catch !

Just a question, how do you keep the pcs from just scanning the planet for cardassian life signs and then beaming the envoy aboard? I can never seem to figure out a way to keep the players from doing things like that. Just looking for a suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by spazboy1979 View Post
    Just a question, how do you keep the pcs from just scanning the planet for cardassian life signs and then beaming the envoy aboard? I can never seem to figure out a way to keep the players from doing things like that. Just looking for a suggestion.
    Transporter scramblers and/or interferences with the sensors. Either by way of technology or natural (some natural deposit of ore generating an interference field). Also, there could be various defenses around the planet that would ensure a ship trying that would need to be very fast to escape afterwards.

Apart from that, FASAGrrl, I'm sorry I'm not able to contribute further, as I have no creature stats in mind. However, I would expect a Klingon sea monster to be more akin to a crocodile, with a long and fanged snout/jaw, a leathery skin with various spikes around, and maybe some vestigial claws. Just my two eurocents, sorry if I'm not helping much.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Half shark, half crab.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by spazboy1979 View Post
    In this case they were under orders. Because Starfleet Intel wanted Commander Baldric (our SI liaison) to get a first hand look at what sort of forces these "kidnappers" had at their disposal (something that will play into a future episode).

So, an away-team was necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by C5 View Post
    FASAGrrl, I'm sorry I'm not able to contribute further, as I have no creature stats in mind. However, I would expect a Klingon sea monster to be more akin to a crocodile, with a long and fanged snout/jaw, a leathery skin with various spikes around, and maybe some vestigial claws. Just my two eurocents, sorry if I'm not helping much.
    Your description fits the chuch bI'QDep perfectly. They're the bigger, more dangerous fish-monsters in Klingon Honour Guard. But... I didn't want Baldric killed

I actually just statted out the bireQT, and it worked really well.