Thread: Which RPG gives the best newbie GM advice?

Which RPG gives the best newbie GM advice?

I have the Narrator's Guide for CODA and I have LUG TNG core book plus the Narrator's toolkit. I also bought The Planets of the UFP, Planetary Adventures and Price of Freedom.

So after perusing a bunch of the material, it seems that the GM advice is similar and include the 3 act system. Are the GM books equally beneficial? Is one better at holding your hand than the other?

I'm kinda a newb with Scifi games but not RPG,s I've run fantasy and CoC a whole lot. I just need to be eased in to GM a whole dang universe!!!

Well, the CODA and ICON material were all written by the same bunch of people, so there is a great deal of similarity.

That said, I favor the CODA Narrator's Guide because you don' t have to flip back and forth between a couple of books to get the advice. The NG is one of the best GM resources I've held in my hands in my 30 years of RPG playing.

However, I don' t think you're likely to go wrong on either route; the ICON GM material is also exceptional, in my opinion. Comes down to taste.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Ok, could I read the NG and then run the Shakedown Cruise from the the TNG Core book without any problems?

What do you think would be a better (read easier) to run, A Fragile Peace or the Planetary Adventure book?

I see that the TNG core book kind of uses the same sector as A Fragile Peace.

Was the Sector 001 ever officially mapped out? Any fans ever map out sectors like Traveller fans/products did?

Quote Originally Posted by Blustar View Post
    Ok, could I read the NG and then run the Shakedown Cruise from the the TNG Core book without any problems?
    Probably, yeah. Shakedown Cruise consists of, IIRC, a navigational problem, a simulated combat, and an investigation with possible personal combat. All pretty basic stuff.

What do you think would be a better (read easier) to run, A Fragile Peace or the Planetary Adventure book?
    Which adventures?

I have some notes about converting Ghosts of the Past from PA to CODA, somewhere...

Was the Sector 001 ever officially mapped out? Any fans ever map out sectors like Traveller fans/products did?
    Not officially, but look at Owen's site.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry